• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Negativity

ryanafshar

Nov 6, 2023
Charlotte
✟3,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its very nice to be here on this site and I appreciate all of you. I'm reaching out to anyone who is compassionate because I am having problems with overthinking. Instead of eating chickfila I'm killing a chicken. Instead of taking a swim I'm shark bait. The deer are freezing out in nature. These are the kinds of thoughts I've been having and they are wrecking me. I actually start to fret sometimes. I think God is going to strike me with lightning. I'm very uncomfortable. Does anyone have any strategies for beating this? I feel like I'm caving and cant stop doing it. Please help!!!

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟430,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can take thoughts captive as in 2Cor 10:3-5. Pray about it and if you are faithful to it you can put your thoughts i jail and allow better thoughts. Thoughts of Jesus, the Bible, life and love. I do it everyday. My thoughts are controlled to only let good stuff in. It’s not you just your mind wanting to worry in these stressful times.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟943,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its very nice to be here on this site and I appreciate all of you. I'm reaching out to anyone who is compassionate because I am having problems with overthinking. Instead of eating chickfila I'm killing a chicken. Instead of taking a swim I'm shark bait. The deer are freezing out in nature. These are the kinds of thoughts I've been having and they are wrecking me. I actually start to fret sometimes. I think God is going to strike me with lightning. I'm very uncomfortable. Does anyone have any strategies for beating this? I feel like I'm caving and cant stop doing it. Please help!!!
Welcome to CF.
I believe the only way to combat negative thinking is to analyze the thought. For instance, you may think you killed a chicken but you did not someone else did and now you get to enjoy what God himself has provided for you. When you go swimming, it is good to be aware of your surroundings especially if there are sharks in the waters! Nothing wrong with self preservation. As far as the deer, they love the cold! God has provided them with the ability to live in extreme environments. So the root of your situation is actually " fear". You may need some professional guidance to combat "fear". For now read God's words about living in fear and start your days by loving Him first.
Be blessed.

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear, because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟732,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Need to change your focus .... when you have negative thoughts come in replace it with positive thoughts (or dismiss them completely). If you repeatedly do this ... over some time the positive thoughts will become your new norm.

Sometimes we have bizarre thoughts ... such as you described .... dismiss them. We all have them from time to time.

God is not out to "get" you ... on the contrary He wants to help you. Help you change your thinking.

Philippians 4:8 ESV​

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

We all need our thinking changed.

The Lord loves you and wants to help change your thinking ... focus on His love always.

1 John 4:16 ESV / 17 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful​

So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.

May the Lord bring peace to your mind. Amen

Upvote 0

ryanafshar

Nov 6, 2023
Charlotte
✟3,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Need to change your focus .... when you have negative thoughts come in replace it with positive thoughts (or dismiss them completely). If you repeatedly do this ... over some time the positive thoughts will become your new norm.

Sometimes we have bizarre thoughts ... such as you described .... dismiss them. We all have them from time to time.

God is not out to "get" you ... on the contrary He wants to help you. Help you change your thinking.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

The Lord loves you and wants to help change your thinking ... focus on His love always.

So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.

Thank you so much for the scripture! I'm not very well grounded in scripture. I need to be. I will try to dismiss the thoughts.

Upvote 0

ryanafshar

Nov 6, 2023
Charlotte
✟3,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF.
I believe the only way to combat negative thinking is to analyze the thought. For instance, you may think you killed a chicken but you did not someone else did and now you get to enjoy what God himself has provided for you. When you go swimming, it is good to be aware of your surroundings especially if there are sharks in the waters! Nothing wrong with self preservation. As far as the deer, they love the cold! God has provided them with the ability to live in extreme environments. So the root of your situation is actually " fear". You may need some professional guidance to combat "fear". For now read God's words about living in fear and start your days by loving Him first.
Be blessed.

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear, because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."
Thanks for this input! I do have fear especially of the negativity. I didnt fret all day today, and He's still with me.

Upvote 0

ryanafshar

Nov 6, 2023
Charlotte
✟3,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

He has been helping me with my thinking this week. I appreciate the time you took to write this!

Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟148,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have OCD, and think similar thoughts sometimes, but then realize, hey, God created the world in his own way, and that he will protect you. Also, deer were created to withstand the cold, and most sharks don't attack, especially if you swim in an area which has a lifeguard. For Chick-fil-a, yes, you are eating a chicken, but meat is necessary for most folk's diets, including mine (though, I cook the chicken at home, and plop it into some rice). If you feel uncomfortable eating at a Chick-fil-a, or for me, "Chick-fail-a", as their chicken doesn't taste that good compared to homemade :), there are restaurants which sell vegetarian meats. Though, scientists are hard at work to grow chicken cells, as it takes far less energy and time to grow a chicken meat in the laboratory compared to raising them on a farm. For me, I don't like swimming in cold water, but then realize, it is only a temporary pain. Jesus went through a lot more suffering compared to anyone else. You might want to talk to a religious leader, if you have time after church.

Upvote 0