• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Is the lack of "central leadership/authority" a weakness?

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟610,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Gavin Ashenden irritates me. The guy was a bishop on the down-low for a couple of years until someone outed him. All the time having some role within the Church of England while being a bishop of the Christian Episcopal Church. All together, he was a bishop for 3 1/2 or 4 years and never built so much as a parish to my knowledge, much less a legitimate missionary diocese. Then after Michael Nazir-Ali converted, Ashenden was going around talking about how he had assisted a couple dozen people into converting into the Roman Catholic Church. Where was all that energy when he was a missionary bishop?

Upvote 0

DeFyYing

Sep 8, 2020
NJ
✟8,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I consider the lack of a magisterium to be a strength of Anglicanism, rather than a weakness. Because we are united by common worship rather than by uniformity of belief, the Anglican tradition deliberately allows intellectual exploration and disagreement.

I have been in (Evangelical Protestant) religious communities that had lengthy, detailed statements of faith that were required of the members, and I constantly felt that if I studied too much or questioned too much, I would step over a line that would put me out of the community. The Anglican tolerance for diversity has allowed me to have more intellectual honesty and integrity, as I am permitted to explore ideas freely and to believe what I think is true without punishment from the church.

I can see that someone like Gavin Ashenden, who prefers that there be a magisterium, would be more at home in the Catholic Church. :)
This exact question is what I think about the most when deciding between Anglicanism and Lutheranism. I appreciate that the Lutherans have a clearly defined theology, something that they can stand on and teach. But I struggle with the biblical-yet-unreasonable soteriology system within Lutheranism. I think one of the strengths of Anglicanism is that you can take the best parts of various traditions and integrate them together. I still very much am in agreement with the Book of Concord so I will probably stay Lutheran, but I appreciate the Anglican tradition's flexibility :D

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟373,884.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
This exact question is what I think about the most when deciding between Anglicanism and Lutheranism. I appreciate that the Lutherans have a clearly defined theology, something that they can stand on and teach. But I struggle with the biblical-yet-unreasonable soteriology system within Lutheranism. I think one of the strengths of Anglicanism is that you can take the best parts of various traditions and integrate them together. I still very much am in agreement with the Book of Concord so I will probably stay Lutheran, but I appreciate the Anglican tradition's flexibility :D
I opengly call myself an Lutherpalian or Evangelical AngloCatholic.

Upvote 0