I'm looking for a partner to debate the ethics of eating meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟910,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Acts 10:10-24

And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.”

We eat to survive, gluttony is another issue. But I don't care who they are, a Christian cannot find grounds that eating meat is ethically wrong. The bible says different, there is absolutely no grounds for us to even debate it.

What you're wanting to debate is something different, the morality and what does the bible say of slaughter houses. Which no, I don't think Christ would be too approving of it, but I have no idea since His ways are greater than mine.

You also have pointed out that you want to have a debate on if eating meat when it's not only to survive is "sinful". You need to have this debate with a secularist because we have clear instructions as Christians.
However, some Christians ( yes I do know my icon says I am Deist) but I have considered myself Christian on and off and am interested in Christianity, so I know that some Christians oppose eating meat at least for themselves.

Upvote 0
H

humbleServant77

As long as you're wanting to debate the ethics of being a meat-eater and not the religious restraints, I think you have the premise for a very interesting debate. Personally I could take either side. I just find that making my diet consist of as much meat as possible is what makes me healthy. I wish I could say that I'm even healthier when my meat is sourced from humane ways of raising the animals. I suspect that would be the case, but here in the US? It's not really practical to even attempt to find out.

Upvote 0

Conscious Z

Oct 23, 2012
✟8,363.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
As long as you're wanting to debate the ethics of being a meat-eater and not the religious restraints, I think you have the premise for a very interesting debate. Personally I could take either side. I just find that making my diet consist of as much meat as possible is what makes me healthy. I wish I could say that I'm even healthier when my meat is sourced from humane ways of raising the animals. I suspect that would be the case, but here in the US? It's not really practical to even attempt to find out.

Yes, I would love to debate the ethics from a secular standpoint. Do be aware, however, that there is a large amount of medical data that demonstrates that eating meat is not healthy. I don't wish to get into the debate here, I just want you to know that I would plan on using such information. You may have your own response to it, and I would hope you would.

If you'd like to do the debate, we can start whenever you like.

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2014
✟7,984.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
However, some Christians ( yes I do know my icon says I am Deist) but I have considered myself Christian on and off and am interested in Christianity, so I know that some Christians oppose eating meat at least for themselves.

That's my point, I cannot with full confidence have my own opinion when the bible tells me the correct stand point. Having a personal opinion over what the bible says is idolatry and should be treated as such.

Upvote 0

Conscious Z

Oct 23, 2012
✟8,363.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That's my point, I cannot with full confidence have my own opinion when the bible tells me the correct stand point. Having a personal opinion over what the bible says is idolatry and should be treated as such.

Then do the debate!

I saw you asking someone to debate the existence of God on another thread as well. I'd be willing to take you up on that offer if you'd like.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.