Farmington
✟32,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Do we in this modern age find dancing offensive? If we have the Holy Spirit of the living God abiding in us, we should have an abhorrence to all things of the world, the flesh, and the devil. I'm not talking about the jumping and leaping for joy type dancing described in Scripture that is for rejoicing at something God has done, or just praising His majesty and glory. Big difference, total difference.

As a believer in Jesus Christ I have always had an aversion to dancing when I was strong in the faith. It was when I compromised that I would then think it's ok, no harm done. But it is lascivious in nature, especially the slithering slinky seductive dances of women with their alluring eyes and sensual body motions. I find this grotesque and must flee far from it, or avert my eyes if it happens to show on a screen.

Men are no different in some of the dances they do. Just as seductive and slinky, to the point of being effeminate. Repulsive.

I came across this by Benjamin Franklin; not the politician, but the preacher,

"Galatians v. 19: "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these, Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditious, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and such like: of which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." Here we have all awful catalogue of works of the flesh, and the list is not complete, for the Apostle adds to the list the words, "and such like." What is the decree of God in regard to those who do such things?" It is that "they shall not inherit the kingdom of God." "Such things" are not, then, to be trifled with; nor is the doing of them of small moment, seeing that it excludes from the kingdom of God.

The things in this list are not things difficult to determine beyond all doubt. They are works of the flesh, and manifest. They are matters clearly wrong. In this catalogue we find "revelings." The original word, komos, and the English word, revelings, includes dancing. The authorities are well agreed about it; that it embraces feasting, loud talking, music, and dancing. It is not dancing, as an expression of thanksgiving and gratitude, or in joy, in view of some signal victory or special favor from the Lord, or as a religious exercise of any sort; but dancing for amusement, pleasure, hilarity--for the sake of the dance, the, love of it, or in devotion to it. This is the dance that is reveling, and that excludes from the kingdom of God. It is a work of the flesh, and to be shunned by the children of God, as they shun witchcraft, adultery, idolatry, or murder.

The question is not whether there are not degrees in it; whether it is all to be put down alike or not. There are degrees in drunkenness, many degrees in it, but they are only degrees in the same thing. It is drunkenness, whether there is much or little of it. It is the same thing in kind, though not the same in degree. A man so drunk that he can not walk is certainly a degree further than one who is so drunk that he only staggers, but can walk. There are degrees in stealing; but then it is stealing to take one dollar without liberty, as certainly as it is to take a thousand--the same thing in kind, though not the same in degree. But he is the greater simpleton, and thinks the least of his honor, who will get drunk at all, though in the smallest degree. Drunkenness is a work of the flesh, and sin, no matter how small the degree of it, and excludes from the kingdom of God. We are not to divide drunkenness into several kinds, and then assume that Christians may participate in one kind and not in another. They are not to participate in drunkenness at all. If they do, they sin, and should be called to account.

There are degrees in adultery. He who commits adultery only a few times does not reach the same degree in it that he does who practices it regularly for twenty years; but it is adultery, sin, a work of the flesh, and there stands the law of the great King before him, that "they who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." Hatred is a work of the flesh, no matter whether it reaches, a greater or less degree, and may not be indulged at all. The same is true of reveling, no matter whether in a greater or smaller degree--it is still reveling, and may not be indulged. Any dancing, for pleasure, amusement, or entertainment; for the sake of the dance itself, for the love of it, and in devotion to it, is reveling, no matter how small the degree, and should be utterly repudiated. We want no philosophers, speculating on the degrees Christians may go into sin. We are on dangerous ground the moment we attempt to speculate on the degrees we may go into sin. The only safe doctrine is to keep as far from it as possible.

We can not divide the works of the flesh into different kinds, some of which may be practiced by Christians, and some of which may not be practiced by Christians. When the Apostle closes this terrible list, he adds, "and such like." This includes not only the things enumerated, but all of that kind. None included in the list can be left out, and all others of the same kind are to be included in the catalogue. It is frequently said of dancing, or reveling, and it is to be remembered that all dancing for amusement, for pleasure, for the love of it, or for the sake of dancing, is reveling, is no worse than some plays and performances, about which nothing is said. But that is a poor compliment to dancing, that it is no worse than something else that is wrong. All these other things are included in the words, "and such like;" and after making the catalogue long and fearful, in order to be sure and embrace them all, he adds, "and such like," and then pronounces that "they who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." Notice, he does not say, "they who do these things," but they who do such things." There is no escape from this language.

We have a solemn charge from the Apostle to "Give no offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the Church of God." Dancing is offensive; not to ignorant, prejudiced and weak people, but to the best informed, the most pious and devout. If there were nothing else against it, that would stamp it with the seal of condemnation. It is under ban, not only in the view of pious persons, but all classes. No one, in the Church or out of it, regards it as any credit to dance, or to be a good dancer. The view of the masses generally is, that people of the world, young and thoughtless people, may dance; the lovers of pleasure, of amusement and entertainments; the irreligious may dance."

The full message can be read here: Benjamin Franklin - Dancing

Now some might say, he lived during the 1800s, so that's just some old fashioned preaching over 150 years ago. Well, there are Christians today that know and preach that dancing is sinful. The exceptions are dancing in your own home alone for exercise, or dancing with your wife or husband alone in your home, but not with other people. Oh I recall being married and going to a couple of bars where there was dancing. They wanted to switch partners so I ended up dancing with my wife's cousin. Another time it was with a girl my wife worked at, and we were all pressed up on each other. It was licentiousness and the fruit was lust, and adultery of the heart, for the girl was married and her husband not even at that New Years party! And why did I go to a bar anyways and drink alcohol and dance? I had backslidden and compromised.
Any time I danced it was usually to some form of rock n roll, and it was lascivious. I wanted to impress girls, and I was drawn in by the way the girls danced around me. If it wasn't sensual, it became violent: stomping, slamming, smashing bottles. That is not the behavior of any Christian, and is not the type of activity Christ calls us to.

Here is some more contemporary preaching against dancing, this from Gospel Broadcasting Network, part of the Church of Christ.
"The truth about modern dancing is that it can create lust and lead to temptation, is often the very definition of the sinful behavior called “Lasciviousness.” Modern dancing between two people who are not married encourages sexual desires and intimate caressing that belongs only in marriage.

In the Book of Galatians, it says, “the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness…and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God” (Galatians 5:19-21).

Avoid the temptation of partaking in sensual dancing, and instead involve yourself in activities that promote righteous thought and pure actions that lead to glorying God. Paul writes, “finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy–meditate on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)."

The Truth About Dancing – Gospel Broadcasting Network

Reactions: jas3

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟151,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do we in this modern age find dancing offensive? If we have the Holy Spirit of the living God abiding in us, we should have an abhorrence to all things of the world, the flesh, and the devil. I'm not talking about the jumping and leaping for joy type dancing described in Scripture that is for rejoicing at something God has done, or just praising His majesty and glory. Big difference, total difference.

As a believer in Jesus Christ I have always had an aversion to dancing when I was strong in the faith. It was when I compromised that I would then think it's ok, no harm done. But it is lascivious in nature, especially the slithering slinky seductive dances of women with their alluring eyes and sensual body motions. I find this grotesque and must flee far from it, or avert my eyes if it happens to show on a screen.

Men are no different in some of the dances they do. Just as seductive and slinky, to the point of being effeminate. Repulsive.

I came across this by Benjamin Franklin; not the politician, but the preacher,

"Galatians v. 19: "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these, Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditious, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and such like: of which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." Here we have all awful catalogue of works of the flesh, and the list is not complete, for the Apostle adds to the list the words, "and such like." What is the decree of God in regard to those who do such things?" It is that "they shall not inherit the kingdom of God." "Such things" are not, then, to be trifled with; nor is the doing of them of small moment, seeing that it excludes from the kingdom of God.

The things in this list are not things difficult to determine beyond all doubt. They are works of the flesh, and manifest. They are matters clearly wrong. In this catalogue we find "revelings." The original word, komos, and the English word, revelings, includes dancing. The authorities are well agreed about it; that it embraces feasting, loud talking, music, and dancing. It is not dancing, as an expression of thanksgiving and gratitude, or in joy, in view of some signal victory or special favor from the Lord, or as a religious exercise of any sort; but dancing for amusement, pleasure, hilarity--for the sake of the dance, the, love of it, or in devotion to it. This is the dance that is reveling, and that excludes from the kingdom of God. It is a work of the flesh, and to be shunned by the children of God, as they shun witchcraft, adultery, idolatry, or murder.

The question is not whether there are not degrees in it; whether it is all to be put down alike or not. There are degrees in drunkenness, many degrees in it, but they are only degrees in the same thing. It is drunkenness, whether there is much or little of it. It is the same thing in kind, though not the same in degree. A man so drunk that he can not walk is certainly a degree further than one who is so drunk that he only staggers, but can walk. There are degrees in stealing; but then it is stealing to take one dollar without liberty, as certainly as it is to take a thousand--the same thing in kind, though not the same in degree. But he is the greater simpleton, and thinks the least of his honor, who will get drunk at all, though in the smallest degree. Drunkenness is a work of the flesh, and sin, no matter how small the degree of it, and excludes from the kingdom of God. We are not to divide drunkenness into several kinds, and then assume that Christians may participate in one kind and not in another. They are not to participate in drunkenness at all. If they do, they sin, and should be called to account.

There are degrees in adultery. He who commits adultery only a few times does not reach the same degree in it that he does who practices it regularly for twenty years; but it is adultery, sin, a work of the flesh, and there stands the law of the great King before him, that "they who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." Hatred is a work of the flesh, no matter whether it reaches, a greater or less degree, and may not be indulged at all. The same is true of reveling, no matter whether in a greater or smaller degree--it is still reveling, and may not be indulged. Any dancing, for pleasure, amusement, or entertainment; for the sake of the dance itself, for the love of it, and in devotion to it, is reveling, no matter how small the degree, and should be utterly repudiated. We want no philosophers, speculating on the degrees Christians may go into sin. We are on dangerous ground the moment we attempt to speculate on the degrees we may go into sin. The only safe doctrine is to keep as far from it as possible.

We can not divide the works of the flesh into different kinds, some of which may be practiced by Christians, and some of which may not be practiced by Christians. When the Apostle closes this terrible list, he adds, "and such like." This includes not only the things enumerated, but all of that kind. None included in the list can be left out, and all others of the same kind are to be included in the catalogue. It is frequently said of dancing, or reveling, and it is to be remembered that all dancing for amusement, for pleasure, for the love of it, or for the sake of dancing, is reveling, is no worse than some plays and performances, about which nothing is said. But that is a poor compliment to dancing, that it is no worse than something else that is wrong. All these other things are included in the words, "and such like;" and after making the catalogue long and fearful, in order to be sure and embrace them all, he adds, "and such like," and then pronounces that "they who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." Notice, he does not say, "they who do these things," but they who do such things." There is no escape from this language.

We have a solemn charge from the Apostle to "Give no offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the Church of God." Dancing is offensive; not to ignorant, prejudiced and weak people, but to the best informed, the most pious and devout. If there were nothing else against it, that would stamp it with the seal of condemnation. It is under ban, not only in the view of pious persons, but all classes. No one, in the Church or out of it, regards it as any credit to dance, or to be a good dancer. The view of the masses generally is, that people of the world, young and thoughtless people, may dance; the lovers of pleasure, of amusement and entertainments; the irreligious may dance."

The full message can be read here: Benjamin Franklin - Dancing

Now some might say, he lived during the 1800s, so that's just some old fashioned preaching over 150 years ago. Well, there are Christians today that know and preach that dancing is sinful. The exceptions are dancing in your own home alone for exercise, or dancing with your wife or husband alone in your home, but not with other people. Oh I recall being married and going to a couple of bars where there was dancing. They wanted to switch partners so I ended up dancing with my wife's cousin. Another time it was with a girl my wife worked at, and we were all pressed up on each other. It was licentiousness and the fruit was lust, and adultery of the heart, for the girl was married and her husband not even at that New Years party! And why did I go to a bar anyways and drink alcohol and dance? I had backslidden and compromised.
Any time I danced it was usually to some form of rock n roll, and it was lascivious. I wanted to impress girls, and I was drawn in by the way the girls danced around me. If it wasn't sensual, it became violent: stomping, slamming, smashing bottles. That is not the behavior of any Christian, and is not the type of activity Christ calls us to.

Here is some more contemporary preaching against dancing, this from Gospel Broadcasting Network, part of the Church of Christ.
"The truth about modern dancing is that it can create lust and lead to temptation, is often the very definition of the sinful behavior called “Lasciviousness.” Modern dancing between two people who are not married encourages sexual desires and intimate caressing that belongs only in marriage.

In the Book of Galatians, it says, “the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness…and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God” (Galatians 5:19-21).

Avoid the temptation of partaking in sensual dancing, and instead involve yourself in activities that promote righteous thought and pure actions that lead to glorying God. Paul writes, “finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy–meditate on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)."

The Truth About Dancing – Gospel Broadcasting Network
I dance, in my room, (not that good at it), but keep my dance moves clean. There are two Bible verses, one on dancing for God, but another about staying pure and avoiding evil.

Dance for God
Psalm 149:1-3 (ESV): "Let them praise His name with dancing, making melody to Him with tambourine and lyre!"

But, do not dance sensually
Mark 7:22-23 (ESV)): "Coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person."

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟713,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I dance, in my room, (not that good at it), but keep my dance moves clean. There are two Bible verses, one on dancing for God, but another about staying pure and avoiding evil.

Dance for God
Psalm 149:1-3 (ESV): "Let them praise His name with dancing, making melody to Him with tambourine and lyre!"

Mark 7:22-23 (ESV)): "Coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person."

It can be "sensual" but I guess I don't know what the Bible here means by sensual?

Didn't women dance for their husbands in Bible times?

Does that mean it's a sin?

I'm not sure I understand the intended meaning.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟151,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It can be "sensual" but I guess I don't know what the Bible here means by sensual?

Well, Mark 7 refers to anything sensual, not dances in particular. Sensual is what the pop stars sadly do nowadays. Dancing in general is not a sin, but twerking is a sin.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟32,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed

Dance for God

Yup, that sounds good. If I'm out in nature sometimes I get so inspired I leap and dance. But it's not sensual. That message by Franklin covers all the Bibles mention of dancing, good and bad. The dancing for the LORD is always a rejoicing type thing, and men and women are not bopping together. It's a kind of long message so I didn't want to post all of it, just a portion.

Here's the account of Miriam,

"Exodus xv. 20, 21: "And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her, with the timbrels and with dances. And Miriam answered them, Sing you to the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and the rider hath been thrown into the sea." What are the facts found in this history? 1. That the women danced. There is no account of any men dancing. 2. That it was in daylight. 3. It was a religious exercise, as much as the singing. 4. It was at the time of great victory; a special favor conferred by supernatural interposition, which brought their deliverance from Egyptian bondage, and was an expression of gratitude in joy, praises and thanksgiving, in view of what the LORD had done for I them. It was no regular and stated dance, for amusement, fun, and to show themselves off; but an extraordinary performance, in view of the wonderful work of God in their deliverance, and the overthrow of their enemies. It was no regularly established custom for hilarity and amusement, but an extraordinary event."

And then these accounts where dancing was involved with evil:

"1 Samuel xxx. 16, 17: "And when be bad brought him down, behold, they were spread upon all the earth, eating and drinking, and dancing, because of all the great spoil that they had taken out of the land of the Philistines, and out of the land of Judah. And David smote them from the twilight even. to the evening of the next day: and there escaped not a man of them, save four hundred young men who rode upon camels, and fled." This was no religious dancing, nor religious exercise, but regular reveling. They were eating, drinking and dancing--carousing. In the midst of it their fates were upon them. Destruction came and swept them. away. Certainly no dancer, or apologist for dancing, will attempt to find any support for any of the kinds of dancing practiced in our day in this Scripture. The dancing was in bad company, and soon followed by terrible retribution.

Job xxi. 11-20: "They send forth their little ones like a flock, and their children dance. They take timbrel and harp, and rejoice at the sound of the organ. They spend their days in wealth, and in a moment go down to the grave. Therefore they say to God, Depart from us; for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways. What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? Lo, their good is not in their hand: the counsel of the wicked is far from me. How oft is the candle of the wicked put out! and how oft destruction cometh upon them! God distributeth sorrow in his anger. They are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth away. God layeth up his iniquity for his children: he rewardeth him, and he shall know it. His eyes shall see his destruction, and he shall drink of the wrath of the Almighty."

What a description this is from first to last! This is no religious exercise, nor dancing as an act of devotion, except to their own lust. This dancing is not approved, nor were the people who were engaged in it approved. It was the dancing of the rich, the wicked--for pleasure, amusement. It was no expression of praise to God, or thanksgiving, or gratitude; it had no such idea in it. It was dancing for the sake of the dance, the love of it and devotion to it; for amusement, pleasure, pastime. It was not for relaxation; but for idle people, that do nothing, and need no relaxation; nor for exercise, because they needed exercise, but for the sake of dancing. This is the dance of those "who say to God, Depart from us; for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways. What is the Almighty, that we should serve him?" Here our modern dancers can find their kind of dance, and dancers, and the Lord's description of, them. It is a dark picture."

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟151,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yup, that sounds good. If I'm out in nature sometimes I get so inspired I leap and dance. But it's not sensual. That message by Franklin covers all the Bibles mention of dancing, good and bad. The dancing for the LORD is always a rejoicing type thing, and men and women are not bopping together. It's a kind of long message so I didn't want to post all of it, just a portion.

Here's the account of Miriam,

"Exodus xv. 20, 21: "And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her, with the timbrels and with dances. And Miriam answered them, Sing you to the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and the rider hath been thrown into the sea." What are the facts found in this history? 1. That the women danced. There is no account of any men dancing. 2. That it was in daylight. 3. It was a religious exercise, as much as the singing. 4. It was at the time of great victory; a special favor conferred by supernatural interposition, which brought their deliverance from Egyptian bondage, and was an expression of gratitude in joy, praises and thanksgiving, in view of what the LORD had done for I them. It was no regular and stated dance, for amusement, fun, and to show themselves off; but an extraordinary performance, in view of the wonderful work of God in their deliverance, and the overthrow of their enemies. It was no regularly established custom for hilarity and amusement, but an extraordinary event."

And then these accounts where dancing was involved with evil:

"1 Samuel xxx. 16, 17: "And when be bad brought him down, behold, they were spread upon all the earth, eating and drinking, and dancing, because of all the great spoil that they had taken out of the land of the Philistines, and out of the land of Judah. And David smote them from the twilight even. to the evening of the next day: and there escaped not a man of them, save four hundred young men who rode upon camels, and fled." This was no religious dancing, nor religious exercise, but regular reveling. They were eating, drinking and dancing--carousing. In the midst of it their fates were upon them. Destruction came and swept them. away. Certainly no dancer, or apologist for dancing, will attempt to find any support for any of the kinds of dancing practiced in our day in this Scripture. The dancing was in bad company, and soon followed by terrible retribution.

Job xxi. 11-20: "They send forth their little ones like a flock, and their children dance. They take timbrel and harp, and rejoice at the sound of the organ. They spend their days in wealth, and in a moment go down to the grave. Therefore they say to God, Depart from us; for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways. What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? Lo, their good is not in their hand: the counsel of the wicked is far from me. How oft is the candle of the wicked put out! and how oft destruction cometh upon them! God distributeth sorrow in his anger. They are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth away. God layeth up his iniquity for his children: he rewardeth him, and he shall know it. His eyes shall see his destruction, and he shall drink of the wrath of the Almighty."

What a description this is from first to last! This is no religious exercise, nor dancing as an act of devotion, except to their own lust. This dancing is not approved, nor were the people who were engaged in it approved. It was the dancing of the rich, the wicked--for pleasure, amusement. It was no expression of praise to God, or thanksgiving, or gratitude; it had no such idea in it. It was dancing for the sake of the dance, the love of it and devotion to it; for amusement, pleasure, pastime. It was not for relaxation; but for idle people, that do nothing, and need no relaxation; nor for exercise, because they needed exercise, but for the sake of dancing. This is the dance of those "who say to God, Depart from us; for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways. What is the Almighty, that we should serve him?" Here our modern dancers can find their kind of dance, and dancers, and the Lord's description of, them. It is a dark picture."
Looks like a scripture analysis is in order soon. Sometime this week, a Bible analysis will be posted on this forum, about dancing, and will use these scriptures as well as Psalm and Mark for the analysis. :)

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟32,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed

Dancing for your husband would not be sinful, between husband and wife. I don't think it should go on in public though, even among married couples because it's partaking in other men's sins: usually the place its done at, and the fact there are men come and try to "have a dance" with other women, married or not. And also women who come and try to dance with someone else's husbands. Plus usually there's drinking and dancing that go together, not to mention the type of music. It's just a very worldly scene. I speak from experience both as a non Christian and the times I partook of this after being saved. The last time I danced in such a den of iniquity was May 2001.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ran a few references:

Exodus 15:20-21 KJV
20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.
21 And Miriam answered them, Sing ye to the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.

Judges 11:34 KJV
34 And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

Psa_149:
3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

Psa_150:
4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Ecc_3:
4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

Jer_31:
13 Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, both young men and old together: for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow.

Lam_5:
15 The joy of our heart is ceased; our dance is turned into mourning.

2Sa_6:
14 And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

2 Samuel 6:16 KJV
16 And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.

H3769
כָּרַר
kârar
kaw-rar'
A primitive root; to dance (that is, whirl): - dance (-ing).

Mat_11:
17 And saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and ye have not lamented.

Luke 15:25 KJV
25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟151,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alright my friends, currently prepping the Faith on the Dance Floor analysis. It should be ready by tomorrow afternoon. There will be at least four verses that will be covered, and connected to the modern world. There are two types of dancing: Good, and bad. The analysis will cover both.

1716335430628.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟151,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yo, @Kokavkrystallos , the Bible analysis is hot off the press. :)

Dancing in the Bible: Dancing in the Bible

DateMay 22, 2024 | Faith on the Dance Floor
VersePsalm 149:3 (NIV): "Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with timbrel and harp."

Mark 7:21-23 (NIV): "For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile a person."

Exodus 15:20-21 (NIV): "Then Miriam the prophet, Aaron’s sister, took a timbrel in her hand, and all the women followed her, with timbrels and dancing. Miriam sang to them: ‘Sing to the LORD, for he is highly exalted. Both horse and driver he has hurled into the sea.’"

1 Samuel 30:16-17 (NIV): "He [the Egyptian] led David down, and there they were, scattered over the countryside, eating, drinking and reveling because of the great amount of plunder they had taken from the land of the Philistines and from Judah. David fought them from dusk until the evening of the next day, and none of them got away, except four hundred young men who rode off on camels and fled."
ExplanationThe first passage, Psalm 149:3, is calling for people to praise God through dancing and making music with instruments such as the cymbal and strings. This is an expression of joy and worship towards God.
The second passage, Mark 7:21-23, is speaking about the source of evil thoughts and actions that come from within a person's heart. This passage is not directly related to dancing or music, but rather an emphasis on the importance of having a pure heart and avoiding evil thoughts and actions.

The third passage, Exodus 15:20-21, describes Miriam leading the women in dancing and singing to praise God after the Israelites had safely crossed the Red Sea. This passage shows that dancing and singing are appropriate forms of worship and praise to God.

The fourth passage, 1 Samuel 30:16-17, is about David and his soldiers fighting against the Amalekites who had stolen their property. The passage mentions that the Amalekites were "reveling" and "eating, drinking and making music" before being attacked by David. This passage does not condemn dancing or music, but rather shows that they can be associated with sinful behavior and should not be engaged in during times of disobedience to God.

As Christians, we are called to conduct ourselves with wisdom and discernment when it comes to dancing or watching others dance. We should consider the context and intent behind the dancing, and whether it aligns with God's moral standards. If we are unsure, it is best to avoid participating or watching. For instance, twerking is considered unholy, as it objectifies women in a lewd manner.
Societal RelevanceIn the modern world, it can be a challenge to avoid offensive dances or music, especially in popular culture. One way to respect morality and avoid hurtful or offensive material is to carefully consider the content and message of the music or dance, and to choose to engage in or support those that uplift and edify rather than those that degrade or objectify. Beyoncé is one example of a musician we must avoid, as some of her songs depict women and men dancing in suggestive manners. In simple terms, we must use discernment to choose how we dance, in a manner that is conducive to spiritual maturity.

For public dances, in order to respect partners who are already married or boyfriend-girlfriend, we must not take an already partnered couple for a dance, without their consent. In a similar fashion, it is best to ask a single person for consent before taking him/her onto the dance floor.

Regarding the use of music and instruments in worship, some Christians believe that only vocal music should be used, while others believe that instruments are permissible. The Bible does not give a definitive answer on this matter, but it does show examples of both types of worship. Ultimately, it is up to each individual and community of believers to prayerfully seek God's guidance and make a decision based on their understanding of Scripture and the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Dancing has been a good activity for me, as it gives me exercise. For myself, it is fun to dance to music in my room, even though dancing is not my forte. When it comes to the music which I dance to, clean lyrics and wholesome vocals are what make a good song, typically house music, classic rock, or even christian tunes. For myself, avoiding songs with inappropriate, or sensual lyrics (ex. Drug abuse, sex acts, fame) has benefits. Heavy metal is also something that does not appeal to me, as it is just noise, and has demonic vibes with the screaming and discordant sounds.

Upvote 0