Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm interested in the fundamental reasons that science displays a unity and the Christian church displays a disunity.

Christianity has a sworn enemy who is skilled at divide-and-conquer tactics.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My absolute favorites are not the intransigents that just keep going and going and going (and apparenly keeping a lot of bored board members entertained) but the firebrand meteors who have just watched some video or read a book and all of a sudden, armed with a few PRATTs and overblown rhetoric proceed to bring a pen knife to an artillery duel.

The usually don't stick around long or learn much, but it's interesting watching confusion set in as they're overwhelmed by the information and discovering TEs for the first time.

Upvote 0

tanya88

Veteran
Aug 7, 2004
Tacoma, Washington
Visit site
✟9,163.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I realize most folks in this forum are evolutionists so I'm gonna give a shout out to the punching bags!!!

A kind of informal poll because I'm sure I'd miss some.

The four bigguns.
John67...or whatever number it was.
dadAV11E5????...."
supersport

John67...nice enough guy...completely misguided and a bit stubborn. Engaging....seems to take SOME time to respond.
Most important argument:Evolution is wrong today because ______

dad...ok. Unfortunately, his answers are all one line quips. It's difficult to take someone seriously when he can only explain his theory in Haiku form:
The universe changed
It's not like how it was before
Tree rings are for dweebs

Most important argument: You can't prove the past was the same...vis a vis...it was different.

AV...: Seems ok. Also has kind of a penchant for quips though, with some pushing, he's willing to provide more info.
Most important argument: The earth, though only created 6,000 years ago, is billions of years old.

supersport The most frightening for a combination of reasons. He's verbose (in his thread starting post), but can't control his tongue; He knows what the words "evolution" and "selected" mean, he just doesn't know how to apply, or use them in daily communications; He thinks he knows a lot more than he does.

Most important argument: "Evolution is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong [argument raised against him].........silence........."wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong."

So, time for the awards:
Most convincing argument: That's a tough call. I'd have to give it to dad....though that doesn't say much
Strangest argument: AV....sorry man....I'm not sure many people will be able to grasp that stuff.
Best person to actually discuss a topic with:AV. The others (with the exception of dad) give up to easy...and dad is too quippy.
Least Convincing argument: supersport. Not because his arguments are not convincing but because his wording is confusing, his point is hazy (IF he has one), he is verbose and abusive, and is completely unwilling to back up his own position. and his arguments are not convincing.
Guy you'd wanna have a beer and talk shop with:
TBA
Wow, you seem like you have a lot of time on your hands!

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You think its likely someone already in heaven would chose to leave?
I hear there is only one other place to go, if you do not go to heaven :) For me, I think the deal God offers us is a good one. I do not see any reason to turn it down. Although if the alternative is "nothing", to return to a state as if we had never been born and never lived. In some ways that does not sound so bad.

I do not think I would be interested in any sort of eternal torment. That does not seem like a very good option to me. But I believe that God is just and no one is going to get any more or less than what they deserve. His scales of justice are exact and precise.

Upvote 0

I_Love_Cheese

Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
✟9,374.00
Faith
Agnostic
supersport The most frightening for a combination of reasons. He's verbose (in his thread starting post), but can't control his tongue; He knows what the words "evolution" and "selected" mean, he just doesn't know how to apply, or use them in daily communications; He thinks he knows a lot more than he does.
That is because sport is trying to use his used car salesman schtick on everyone, which goes;

Pretend you are right,

Never admit you are wrong,

Keep hammering and do anything you can to get the other person to say yes even if it is about something that is not true.

To do this, he keeps posting out of context quotes on the theory that you can't disagree with them since an "eviloutonist" said it but unfortunately for sport, no-one is buying his previously owned junk.

I guess I don't find him frightning, just annoying as one would generally expect of one who wears polyester plaids.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No worries. I believe that too.

And this is dependant on a 6 day creation and suspension of the laws of physics how, precisely?
It isn't. But Jesus did refer to the flood, and the days of Adam. They were real, precisely.

So, that whole predicting Halley's commet deal was what, a conspiracy?
As I have often said, the present state consists of from 4400 years ago, till over a thousand years in our future. The comet has nothing to do with anything but the present.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christianity has a sworn enemy who is skilled at divide-and-conquer tactics.

True, but a little doctrinal difference is fine. Not all things have to be believed, just the basics. Like any men, bible believers have some room for opinion on a great many things in the bible! That's OK.
We aren't a bunch of robots, that march in lockstep to all things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't think that is debatable.
It may be debatable whether or not Jesus existed, but I don't think that the fact that you can't show it is debatable at all. If you think you can, please, start a thread in the general apologetics section and pm me a link.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It may be debatable whether or not Jesus existed, but I don't think that the fact that you can't show it is debatable at all. If you think you can, please, start a thread in the general apologetics section and pm me a link.
No, I don't think it is debateable, I guess you can disbelieve early Christian records and testimonies if you like. But I know that He exists now, so why would I doubt He existed then???

Upvote 0

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No, I don't think it is debateable, I guess you can disbelieve early Christian records and testimonies if you like. But I know that He exists now, so why would I doubt He existed then???
Well, like I said, if you want to debate the existence of Jesus, I'm game. But I don't think you actually want to debate it. I think that you just want to state that he exists and be done with it.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, like I said, if you want to debate the existence of Jesus, I'm game. But I don't think you actually want to debate it. I think that you just want to state that he exists and be done with it.
"
Josephus

Josephus was a Jewish historian who was born in either 37 or 38 AD and died some time after 100 AD. He wrote the Jewish Antiquites and in one famous passage described Jesus as a wise man, a doer of wonderful works and calls him the Christ. He also affirmed that Jesus was executed by Pilate and actually rose from the dead!"
http://www.sowhataboutjesus.com/existed.php
An example of the early records.
http://www.probe.org/content/view/18/77/

"Our initial witness makes a contribution of a unique sort inasmuch as he had no intention of making Christianity to appear genuine. To the contrary, Thallus, a Samaritan-born historian who lived and worked in Rome about A.D. 52, wrote to offset the supernatural element which accompanied the crucifixion. Though the writings of Thallus are lost to us, Julius Africanus, a Christian chronographer of the late second century, was familiar with them and quotes from them. In a comment on the darkness that fell upon the land during the crucifixion (Mark 15:33), Africanus says that "Thallus, in the third book of his histories, explains away this darkness as an eclipse of the sun."(3) Africanus stated his objection to the report arguing that an eclipse of the sun cannot occur during the full moon, as was the case when Jesus died at Passover time. The force of the reference to Thallus is that the circumstances of Jesus' death were known and discussed in the Imperial City as early as the middle of the first century. The fact of Jesus' crucifixion must have been fairly well known by that time, to the extent that unbelievers like Thallus thought it necessary to explain the matter of the darkness as a natural phenomenon. "
http://www.scripturessay.com/cev1.html

I claim to be an historian. My approach to Classics is historical. And I tell you that the evidence for the life, the death, and the resurrection of Christ is better authenticated than most of the facts of ancient history . . .
E. M. Blaiklock
Professor of Classics
Auckland University
http://www.leaderu.com/everystudent/easter/articles/josh2.html
And on it goes. It isn't debatable.

In fact Jesus is my favorite anti evolutionist!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dad, this argument doesn't belong here. Please, if you want to argue it, repost this in the general apologetics section, and I will post a rebuttal.
Hey you brought it up. After all, no real topic here anyhow, except who is my favorite anti evo. I answered that in the post above. Jesus.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
True, but a little doctrinal difference is fine. Not all things have to be believed, just the basics. Like any men, bible believers have some room for opinion on a great many things in the bible! That's OK.
We aren't a bunch of robots, that march in lockstep to all things.

Well, you and I disagree in some areas --- but you're right --- we agree on the main point, and that's Jesus.

I thought your "too-bad-they-are-saved-anyhow" defense of Eternal Security was pretty good, but you could have at least given a Scripture reference with it:

[bible]John 5:24[/bible]

Upvote 0

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hey you brought it up. After all, no real topic here anyhow, except who is my favorite anti evo. I answered that in the post above. Jesus.
Ah, blasphemy. Gotta love it. Anyway, I guess you aren't very interested in debating the issue. Must be because you know that your side of the debate has no substance. I'm fine with just leaving it at that.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, you and I disagree in some areas --- but you're right --- we agree on the main point, and that's Jesus.

I thought your "too-bad-they-are-saved-anyhow" defense of Eternal Security was pretty good, but you could have at least given a Scripture reference with it:

[bible]John 5:24[/bible]
The things Christians agree on are far more important than the things we disagree on.

Upvote 0