Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is pretty clear you think our responses are beneath you.
I could say it's clear you thought my question was beneath you.

I did update the post, not many seemed to catch my drift.

But all good, shouldn't have expected more.

Cheers

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm talking about Yahweh now, as I explained I edited the post (I thought the pronunciation was Jesus name, but as I found its not)
We don't know how the Tetragrammaton (aka the Four Letters of Yod-Hah-Vav-Hah, YHWH) was pronounced. Judaism famously had a practice of avoiding pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton, which is why even the Septuagint from centuries before Jesus renders the Name with the substitute Kyrios (the Greek translation of Adonai), and why modern Jews usually say HaShem ("The Name").

Some guesses involve traditions preserved among the Samaritans and the occasional description mentioned in Greek. Resulting in pronunciations resembling Yahveh or Yahweh. However the Name was pronounced by the Jewish high priest in either the first or second Temple periods is, as far as I'm aware, still a matter largely of educated guesses and speculation.

About the only thing we can be confident about is that the medieval construct of Jehovah is almost certainly wrong.

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative
Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Don't understand your point. I have been active at this forum since Reagan was president. And IIRC the current name of this sub-forum is the third one.
I don't know if that's possible, It was still King's Tavern in Sept of 2001. Reagan stopped being president in 1989.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
And there it is... the underlying message you were portraying all along.

My suggestion for you: maybe look in a mirror?

It was a valid point though. There are various sects that generally belong to what can be called "The Sacred Name Movement". Members of these movements and sects tend to have their own idiosyncratic ideas about what God's name (or what Jesus' name) "really" was. And they put forward these as dogmatic statements, often making salvation dependent on having the right pronunciation. The problem is that, as already noted, many of these sects demonstrate a severe ignorance of the Hebrew language and linguistic and historical scholarship. So their positions are easily seen as wrong to anyone with even a rather cursory understanding of the Hebrew language.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We don't know how the Tetragrammaton (aka the Four Letters of Yod-Hah-Vav-Hah, YHWH) was pronounced. Judaism famously had a practice of avoiding pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton, which is why even the Septuagint from centuries before Jesus renders the Name with the substitute Kyrios (the Greek translation of Adonai), and why modern Jews usually say HaShem ("The Name").

Some guesses involve traditions preserved among the Samaritans and the occasional description mentioned in Greek. Resulting in pronunciations resembling Yahveh or Yahweh. However the Name was pronounced by the Jewish high priest in either the first or second Temple periods is, as far as I'm aware, still a matter largely of educated guesses and speculation.

About the only thing we can be confident about is that the medieval construct of Jehovah is almost certainly wrong.

-CryptoLutheran
Thank you for the response.. So it's possible that  YHWH could have been pronounced yah-oo-a, but that no one really knows for sure, unless they receive a revelation from God himself.

I've heard this is the case, I was hoping there would be at least one on this site who could shed light on the subject for me.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rabbi Benyamin Blech agrees... Ha Shem comes from the Hebrew verbs "hayah, hoveh, yihyeh"...3 syllables...
View attachment 323757
8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,
the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord,
who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying: “Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!”

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,002,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if that's possible, It was still King's Tavern in Sept of 2001. Reagan stopped being president in 1989.
Might have my dates confused. I joined another named forum maybe early '20, May have been King's tavern. Not sure. Shortly afterward it merged with CF. Not long afterward Irwin Loh the original owner asked me to be a mod. At some point Irwin Loh changed the name to For.ums didn't go over to big so he changed it back.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,197,346.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I could say it's clear you thought my question was beneath you.
How would you draw such a conclusion, seeing as many of us tried to answer.
But all good, shouldn't have expected more.
Ah, another not so subtle dig at how beneath you we all are.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Might have my dates confused. I joined another named forum maybe early '20, May have been King's tavern. Not sure. Shortly afterward it merged with CF. Not long afterward Irwin Loh the original owner asked me to be a mod. At some point Irwin Loh changed the name to For.ums didn't go over to big so he changed it back.
Yeah it is. It certainly doesn't go back to the late 80's. Irwin and Joshephus changed King's Tavern to Christian forums. I've been around since Jan 2002 and remember the change over. :)

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,002,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah it is. It certainly doesn't go back to the late 80's. Irwin and Joshephus changed King's Tavern to Christian forums. I've been around since Jan 2002 and remember the change over. :)
You'll have to cut me a little slack I'm an Octo. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for the response.. So it's possible that  YHWH could have been pronounced yah-oo-a, but that no one really knows for sure, unless they receive a revelation from God himself.

I've heard this is the case, I was hoping there would be at least one on this site who could shed light on the subject for me.

The problem with that is that "yah-oo-a" ignores the fact that there is a Vav/Waw in the Name. It's YHWH.

And anyone who told me they received a direct revelation from God about this would be someone I'd consciously avoid listening to, because anyone saying that immediately proves themselves to be a false prophet. Which is why the Apostles tell us, over and over again, not to trust new teaching, new revelations, new prophecies, etc; but instead to hold firm to what we have received from the beginning (2 Thessalonians 2:15, Jude 1:3). The role of the prophet, biblically, is someone who proclaims the word of God; the Church knows this ministry as part of the pastoral ministry. As part of the office and ministry of the Keys--the pastoral ministry--is the preaching of the word (Matthew 16:19, John 20:21-23 2 Timothy 4:2). Likewise, the apostolic ministry is retained here as well. The Apostles left us not with new apostles, or an avenue for new prophets (in the sense of those who receive revelation), but with the pastoral ministry (1 Timothy 3:1-13, Titus 1:5-9) that pastors would, for the good of Christ's Church, preach the word, and safeguard the deposit of faith which was given to them. That is how pastors act as shepherds of Christ's flock. Not as lords and masters over the flock, but as shepherds, servants, guardians who have been tasked to protect the flock from robbers and wild beasts.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ah, another not so subtle dig at how beneath you we all are.
You're just trying to goad me now, that's obvious.

You're sitting there arguing theology... coming from a mental viewpoint instead of a spiritual one... it's clear you didn't really read my question properly, or the response may have been different.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem with that is that "yah-oo-a" ignores the fact that there is a Vav/Waw in the Name. It's YHWH.

And anyone who told me they received a direct revelation from God about this would be someone I'd consciously avoid listening to, because anyone saying that immediately proves themselves to be a false prophet. Which is why the Apostles tell us, over and over again, not to trust new teaching, new revelations, new prophecies, etc; but instead to hold firm to what we have received from the beginning (2 Thessalonians 2:15, Jude 1:3).

-CryptoLutheran
OK so is there a word in Hebrew that sounds like what I'm saying or not? (If you know), I particularly want to know the meaning of it.

And revelation still happens today, God is still moving in our time. I would be inclined to listen if there was more than one witness... but that's hand-in-hand with faith and spiritual discernment.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
OK so is there a word in Hebrew that sounds like what I'm saying or not? (If you know), I particularly want to know the meaning of it.

And revelation still happens today, God is still moving in our time. I would be inclined to listen if there was more than one witness... but that's hand-in-hand with faith and spiritual discernment.

There isn't a word that I'm familiar with.

God has always been moving, but that doesn't mean there has been ongoing or new revelation. God has always been active and present in and through His Church. That's Jesus' solemn promise to us, that He would not leave us as orphans, but would send the Holy Spirit who would keep and hold the Church together by keeping the Church faithful in Jesus. In the 2nd chapter of the Acts of the Apostles we read the fulfillment of the promise of the Holy Spirit, when He came, was poured out on all flesh on the Day of Pentecost. And all who belong to Christ have the Holy Spirit, as St. Paul writes in Ephesians ch. 1, we have been sealed with the Holy Spirit through faith by the promise of the Gospel, and as St. Peter says in Acts 2 when the Holy Spirit came, that all who are baptized have the gift of the Spirit. That's why Christ told His Church to preach the Gospel and to baptize (Matthew 28:19), that through the Church God will call and draw all people from all nations to Himself, which is why the promise is "for you and your children, to all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call". It's why the Church has been doing the same thing since Jesus: preaching the Gospel, abiding in God's word, holding firm to the apostles' teaching.

We simply need to keep what has been given from the beginning. Jesus has already given us everything we need to follow Him.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There isn't a word that I'm familiar with.

God has always been moving, but that doesn't mean there has been ongoing or new revelation. God has always been active and present in and through His Church. That's Jesus' solemn promise to us, that He would not leave us as orphans, but would send the Holy Spirit who would keep and hold the Church together by keeping the Church faithful in Jesus. In the 2nd chapter of the Acts of the Apostles we read the fulfillment of the promise of the Holy Spirit, when He came, was poured out on all flesh on the Day of Pentecost. And all who belong to Christ have the Holy Spirit, as St. Paul writes in Ephesians ch. 1, we have been sealed with the Holy Spirit through faith by the promise of the Gospel, and as St. Peter says in Acts 2 when the Holy Spirit came, that all who are baptized have the gift of the Spirit. That's why Christ told His Church to preach the Gospel and to baptize (Matthew 28:19), that through the Church God will call and draw all people from all nations to Himself, which is why the promise is "for you and your children, to all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call". It's why the Church has been doing the same thing since Jesus: preaching the Gospel, abiding in God's word, holding firm to the apostles' teaching.

We simply need to keep what has been given from the beginning. Jesus has already given us everything we need to follow Him.

-CryptoLutheran
I do agree...I never meant new revelation, I meant in terms of how God chooses to reveal himself to each person.

We as Gods people are 'the church'.

John 10:27​

27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I do agree...I never meant new revelation, I meant in terms of how God chooses to reveal himself to each person.

We as Gods people are 'the church'.

John 10:27​

27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.
Yes, Christ's ekklesia is His called and assembled people. He calls us to Himself, which is why we also come together where He has promised to give Himself freely to us. As He has said, where two or three are gathered in His name He is there. We do that when we come to hear His word and receive His gifts. That's why the Church has always congregated together around Word and Sacrament; that we might hear the Good Shepherd speak and hear His voice, and meet together at His Table.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

-CryptoLutheran

I disagree. BTW, Iabe and Yave or Yove are names for Zues/Jupiter. It was NOT a medieval construct...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for the response.. So it's possible that  YHWH could have been pronounced yah-oo-a,

YaH is only used as a poetic abbreviation for Ha Shem...

• Haha
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You love to argue a point, don't you?

Nevermind... have a blessed day :)
Why on earth are you laughing? It is true! I am not arguing a point, I am providing you with information.

Upvote 0