Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Actually you do. You're limited by the natural laws of materialism. You shut out all possibilities beyond them and that's a boundary far more confining than anything imposed by my beliefs.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this. Material laws don't necessarily limit our social constructs. Materialism just holds that matter is the fundamental substance and often entails naturalism. That is, all processes are fundamentally natural and there exists no supernatural processes.

Can you describe for me what this limits to you?

Materialism makes no claims on social organization or morality, for example. I am now free to accept my gay peers as loving individuals who deserve rights of marriage among other things, something Christianity explicitly rejects if you read the Bible literally. If I were a Christian, using this example, I'd have some obligation to explicitly limit this principle from being applied. That would be one social-moral possibility that is closed down.

I am free to expand my morality and social principles based on a variety of sources; I can cabbage some of them from culture, some from religion, philosophy, literature and a million other sources. I can do this even if I believe in a religion [which I do] so I am not really understanding how materialism is limiting, if you could please clarify.

• Agree
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟247,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Catch up Zippy. We're way beyond this. You've chosen to reinterpret secularist to mean atheist to match your Christian persecution narrative.

No, darling, I've argued that a secular society better understands atheism than Christianity. It really is remarkable how much you struggle with simple logic, but clearly you're only interested in parroting your unexamined dogmas.

• Haha
Reactions: Jok
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,005,533.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
No, darling,

:oops: I don't want to hurt your feelings Zippy, but you're just not my type.

Can we just be friends?

OB
I've argued that a secular society better understands atheism than Christianity. It really is remarkable how much you struggle with simple logic, but clearly you're only interested in parroting your unexamined dogmas.

Judging from this little outburst I appear to have rattled your cage.

OB

• Haha
Reactions: awitch
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,005,533.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

It's an idiomatic English expression meaning 'to anger or annoy' (see #2 below)

Verb
rattle someone's cage
  1. (informal) To demand attention from someone; to nag, nudge, or remind someone.
    Nobody has corrected the problem yet, so it's time to rattle their cage.
  2. (idiomatic) To anger or to annoy.
    If you really want to rattle his cage, ask him about his family.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rattle_someone%27s_cage

OB

Upvote 0