Oregon
✟48,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
does anybody work with straw & paper crafts? if so what projects have you made or plan to make? i'm considering getting straw from an art store and make some Christmas crafts, i'm also considering getting creape paper & tissue paper to make some patterns that i found in a craft book, also maybe oragimi paper too

Reactions: bèlla

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Are you saying straw as in a straw broom. If so have never done anything with that type of straw.

I have though made kites (tetrahedral) with straws and tissue paper and these kites fly really great.

Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟105,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I had a notion one time to make one of those Indian baskets, the water tight ones that have a mouth, then a neck, widening out over the shoulders then tapering to a rounded tip.
I gathered grass, armfuls of various kinds, different shades. I let it dry a bit.
I put the straw in the bathtub to soak. There was a large amount. When it was sufficiently soaked, I started weaving. It had to stay wet for some reason I don't remember.
Using instructions in a book, I wove the grasses in a traditional pattern in an ancient weave.
This went on for a couple of days; I went to work and when I came home, after dinner I wove more basket. It was beautiful, very tight with subtle earth greens and gold.
I was about half way up the sides when I realized that perhaps I should take a bath. The bath tub was full of wet soggy grass which I cleaned out and lugged outside. It was cold and windy. I was soaked through and miserable before I got all the mess cleaned out of the bathtub. Somehow I never got back to finishing my basket.
It is easy to weave baskets. I did it and I had never done any weaving before.
I wish you luck on your projects. It is fun.

Upvote 0

littleangelone

Mar 9, 2019
Oregon
✟48,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well yes & no it's more like straw that you get from an hobby shop or art store that you can make into differnt shapes, i've never tried it yet & i want to, i'm glad you have made some kites out of tissue paper, i'm glad you have made them,

Upvote 0

Wyatt A.

Apr 23, 2022
Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
I had a notion one time to make one of those Indian baskets, the water tight ones that have a mouth, then a neck, widening out over the shoulders then tapering to a rounded tip.
I gathered grass, armfuls of various kinds, different shades. I let it dry a bit.
I put the straw in the bathtub to soak. There was a large amount. When it was sufficiently soaked, I started weaving. It had to stay wet for some reason I don't remember.
Using instructions in a book, I wove the grasses in a traditional pattern in an ancient weave.
This went on for a couple of days; I went to work and when I came home, after dinner I wove more basket. It was beautiful, very tight with subtle earth greens and gold.
I was about half way up the sides when I realized that perhaps I should take a bath. The bath tub was full of wet soggy grass which I cleaned out and lugged outside. It was cold and windy. I was soaked through and miserable before I got all the mess cleaned out of the bathtub. Somehow I never got back to finishing my basket.
It is easy to weave baskets. I did it and I had never done any weaving before.
I wish you luck on your projects. It is fun.

I used to make pine needle baskets when I was a kid.

Reactions: QvQ
Upvote 0

Wyatt A.

Apr 23, 2022
Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
does anybody work with straw & paper crafts? if so what projects have you made or plan to make? i'm considering getting straw from an art store and make some Christmas crafts, i'm also considering getting creape paper & tissue paper to make some patterns that i found in a craft book, also maybe oragimi paper too

You should make a manger scene. I made one as a kid with paper and straw. Use paper for the clothes and a roof.

Upvote 0