Wildflowers and the shade

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
There are some of each-in the forest and some dappled areas, but mostly forest. There are some kind of flower that looks like a mini purple daisy, and some kind of yellow flower, but not much.

How can I tell a wild flower from the other kind, and when is the best time of year to plant the bleeding hearts, azalias, Jack in the pulpits, and columbine?

Upvote 0

SnowOwlMoon

Aug 14, 2003
✟514.00
Faith
Catholic
Are you looking for native wildflowers, or non-native landscaping plants? Without knowing what USDA zone you're in, or even what state, it's hard to give any advice on-line. I think what you are doing is a terrific idea, by the way!

I think the way to procede is to first meet with the local parks department, and see what their plans for the park are--they may want only local native plants, or only exotics. Then, when you know what the parks department needs and wants, contact your local extension agent (you can find that information on line--type in your county, then "extension service", and that should get you there. Or the parks department may be able to give you the name and phone number of the extension agent). The extension service will have lists of native plants, lists of desirable exotics that grow well, and most important, lists of plants that are considered noxious pests in your areas Pay close attention to that last list--the last thing you want to do is plant a beautiful wildflower that is becoming a pest in your area!

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Upvote 0

SnowOwlMoon

Aug 14, 2003
✟514.00
Faith
Catholic
Whitehorse said:
Sadly, I don't know the difference between the two. All I know is flower and dirt. What are the differences? Thank you so much for the information about the park and the extension services!!!

The difference between native wildflowers and non-native landscaping plants? The first will be the plants that grow wild in your area, and have not been introduced from another area. Here in the Pacific Northwest, where I live, some native wildflowers are Western Bleeding Heart and Nootka Rose--they haven't been introduced from elsewhere in the US or the world. Examples of non-native landscaping plants are tulips and English holly--both have been introduced into the US from Europe.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Whitehorse said:
I would like to donate some wildflowers to a local park to decorate the trail. But I know nothing whatsoever about flowers or what kinds grow best in the shade. Any suggestions? Thanks!
It would depend on where you are, and what kind of climate there is where you are. In western Washington one plant would be a Trillium. It is a spring flower, blooms around Easter.
trillium.jpg

Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
SnowOwlMoon, thanks for the information. I am a horticultural dumdum :blush: But it would be fun to learn about it. I'm still positively fascinated by the idea that there could ever be a venus fly trap! What a strange plant!

Jeff, wow-that is a beautiful flower. When would you plant something like that? Is it a bulb?

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Whitehorse said:
Jeff, wow-that is a beautiful flower. When would you plant something like that? Is it a bulb?
My parents dug some up when I was a kid, and planted them on the northside of the house where they thrived year after year. They are a bulb plant. They put them in the ground when they dug them up which was in the early spring.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic
To make a park a really wonderful place to be the plantings should do more than just appeal to the astetics of humans, but also attrack wildlife as well. Here are some plants that do well in shade and attrack wildlife such as Hummingbirds and butterflys to the area. Follow the link below.

whrldnmonarch.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums