Why the popularity of the carnivore diet?

Ungliovert

Jul 11, 2023
Seattle
✟7,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems like the popularity of the carnivore diet has some interesting factors behind it. It's true that vegetable prices can be high due to various factors, and the demand for beef has also affected its cost. As Faith points out, these food trends may be driven by profit rather than solely focusing on health. If you want to explore more about the carnivore diet and its benefits, you can check out https://reverse.heаlth/ for additional information. Keep in mind that dietary choices can vary based on personal preferences and circumstances.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You'll have people who interpret it both ways and argue over the comma placement, but ultimately, the Supreme Court ruled on it back in 08 and ruled that it's an individual right, but not an unlimited one. (Sort of an answer that neither side wanted to hear lol)

...but I was more or less just using that as an example.

But, with regards to the topic at hand, I was using the gun & straw examples just to highlight how the far right in the US tends to like to embrace things that the left claims to not like as a reaction and a way to agitate.

"We shouldn't use plastic straws" -> "Oh yeah, look at this pic of me with 5 plastic straws in my drink just to agitate you!"

"We need more gun control" -> "I'm going to run out and by 2 new ones tomorrow just to show you who's boss!"

"We need to drive more fuel efficient vehicles" -> "Check out this new 'My Truck Runs on Liberal Tears' bumper sticker I just put on the back of my Chevy Suburban!"

...and I think that's a similar thing with why the carnivore diet has found sudden popularity among the far right.

"We need to cut back on meat consumption, especially red meat" -> "Is that so?!?!...well I'm going to adopt this diet that's all meat, and not only that, it's going to be primarily red meat because you said that kind was the worst! Take that leftist vegans!!!"

There does seem to be an element of perceived tribalism to our food choices.

The most bizarre thing I have heard is "they will make you eat bugs!" meme circulating on the internet in far right conspiracy-minded circles. Despite the fact that insect-derived ingredients like carmine have been used in food and cosmetics for quite some time.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,210.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It seems like the popularity of the carnivore diet has some interesting factors behind it. It's true that vegetable prices can be high due to various factors, and the demand for beef has also affected its cost. As Faith points out, these food trends may be driven by profit rather than solely focusing on health. If you want to explore more about the carnivore diet and its benefits, you can check out https://reverse.heаlth/ for additional information. Keep in mind that dietary choices can vary based on personal preferences and circumstances.

I'm one of those severely constrained in food choices due to very limited budget.

These crazed diets have limited my food choices to mostly pork meat, carrots, and beans because everything else have gone too expensive. Hoping that fortified milk helps to meet other nutritional requirements.

No problems so far but I also exercise quite rigorously and doing intermittent fasting. If I haven't been doing these things, I'd probably be dead now from heart attack.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm one of those severely constrained in food choices due to very limited budget.

These crazed diets have limited my food choices to mostly pork meat, carrots, and beans because everything else have gone too expensive. Hoping that fortified milk helps to meet other nutritional requirements.

No problems so far but I also exercise quite rigorously and doing intermittent fasting. If I haven't been doing these things, I'd probably be dead now from heart attack.

Most of the rising food costs is due to the war in Ukraine (1/4 the world's wheat comes from that region) and continued supply disruptions in the wake of the COVID pandemic. Another big factor is that the world population is still increasing, with an even bigger rise in demand for protein-rich foods as countries develop. In most countries, there are alot of subsidies for wheat, corn, or rice (often used as livestock feed), but fewer subsidies for vegetables.

If you have the space, a vegetable garden is also worth having.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,219,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There does seem to be an element of perceived tribalism to our food choices.

The most bizarre thing I have heard is "they will make you eat bugs!" meme circulating on the internet in far right conspiracy-minded circles. Despite the fact that insect-derived ingredients like carmine have been used in food and cosmetics for quite some time.
That and we already eat bugs...we just don't know it lol

The average person accidentally consumes one pound of bugs each year, according to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA)

That aside, people are already eating a lot of shrimp and lobster, which to the chagrin of many people hearing this for the first time, aren't too far away from cockroaches

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,210.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If you have the space, a vegetable garden is also worth having.

I only wished but I don't. I was thinking of hydroponics or other 'soilless' methods to grow stuff indoors but I don't live alone in our apartment and live with mom and sister and sister is bitterly opposed to the idea even if it could also help significantly in our financial hardships.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0