Toronto
✟4,534.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
The number one question I always get asked is why we don't accept or believe in Jesus. Here is the answer which I have kept as brief as possible. I am happy to answer any follow up questions asked in good faith.

The main reasons we don't accept Jesus as the Messiah is because we don't believe he fulfills the requirements. I am shocked how few Christians actually know Messianic prophecy and beliefs, at least from the Jewish perspective. The main points, but certainly not all, are the following:

1. The Messiah must be from the house of David. Jesus did not have a father and therefore cannot belong to any house or tribe which is inherited via the father. I have been told Mary is from David's line, but this is irrelevant by Jewish law since a mother cannot pass said lineage. Even if we were to give this a pass there is:

2. The Messiah is supposed to rebuild the temple. The temple was not even destroyed when Jesus lived.

3. The Messiah is supposed to liberate the Jewish people and return them to Israel. The Jews were not even scattered when Jesus lived.

4. The Messiah is supposed to establish world peace (Swords to ploughshares), bring the knowledge of G-d to the world and write the Torah in people's hearts. Jesus did not do any of this.

5. G-d calls human sacrifice an abomination in Deuteronomy 12:31, and also condemns it harshly in Jeremiah 19:4 - 5. In addition, G-d told Moses in Exodus 32 that a person cannot be punished or pay for the sins of another. Deuteronomy 24:16 restates this very clearly. We believe that G-d does not change or reverse himself, so Jesus "dying for our sins" violate this clear declaration by HaShem.

6. G-d says that blood sacrifice isn't even required to forgive sin in Ezekiel 18.

7. G-d said that the Torah is binding and eternal, in other words forever. We will never accept any theological position that HaShem has changed, altered or otherwise modified the Torah. This is because such an action would violate G-d's clear statement that he never changes or reverses himself. The idea that the 613 Mitzvot have been done away with, or there is a "New Testament" clearly contradicts what G-d has previously declared.

Slibhin

Apr 8, 2024
Toronto
✟4,534.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
I’m afraid this is going to get into some theology which we are not allowed to discuss in The Kitchen Sink. So I’ll bow out. Interesting topic though.

If there is a better place to post it that I'm allowed to participate, I'm listening.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The number one question I always get asked is why we don't accept or believe in Jesus. Here is the answer which I have kept as brief as possible. I am happy to answer any follow up questions asked in good faith.

The main reasons we don't accept Jesus as the Messiah
Actually, the only reason Jews do not accept Jesus as Messiah, all else being window dressing, is the reason given by the former Pharisee Saul, who received his teaching from that Messiah (Gal 1:11-12); i.e., their hearts are hardened:

"God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes so they could not see and ears so that they could not hear, to this every day (Dt 29:4).
And David says: 'May their table become snare and a trap, a stumbling block and a retribution for them. May their eyes be darkened so they cannot, see, and their back be bent forever.' (Ps 69:22-23)" (Ro 11:7-10)
"Israel has experienced a hardening (blindness) in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in." (Ro 11:25)
Not all Jews are hardened, only most. God still has a remnant who are not hardened to the Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth (Ro 11:5).

Upvote 0

Slibhin

Apr 8, 2024
Toronto
✟4,534.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Actually, the only reason Jews do not accept Jesus as Messiah, all else being window dressing, is the reason given by the former Pharisee Saul, who received his teaching from that Messiah (Gal 1:11-12); i.e., their hearts are hardened:

"God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes so they could not see and ears so that they could not hear, to this every day (Dt 29:4).
And David says: 'May their table become snare and a trap, a stumbling block and a retribution for them. May their eyes be darkened so they cannot, see, and their back be bent forever.' (Ps 69:22-23)" (Ro 11:7-10)
"Israel has experienced a hardening (blindness) in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in." (Ro 11:25)
Not all Jews are hardened, only most. God still has a remnant who are not hardened to the Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth (Ro 11:5).
Well if HaShem has blinded us then we aren't responsible for our unbelief, so the issue is moot.

• Wow
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well if HaShem has blinded us then we aren't responsible for our unbelief, so the issue is moot.
One is responsible for what caused God to blind them.
Keeping in mind that all mankind is blind until the Holy Spirit gives them sight, which he does only to a remnant.
However, moot or not, and responsible or not, that unbelief shuts one out of God's kingdom (salvation).

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟812,334.00
Country