Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have been pondering this question as to why and what are we suppose to pray for when God ask us to pray for our enemies? and why? what is the purpose to be achieved? what result should we be expecting?

This has been a source of confusion and perplexity. confusion because it is unclear why and perplexity as to what is the point and what is to be achive.

It seem like nonsense,
so could some please clarify this?

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Pray that their eyes may be opened and their heart may be changed. I mean, you want that, don't you?
This current enemy may well be a brother or sister in Christ, and your prayer may well be a divinely planned component in their calling.

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟382,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pray that their eyes may be opened and their heart may be changed. I mean, you want that, don't you?
This current enemy may well be a brother or sister in Christ, and your prayer may well be a divinely planned component in their calling.
i have been unsure what to pray for or what to want in these situations. so I can't say yes and I can't say no. it really has been something that is a real source of confusion for me.

YahuahSaves
YahuahSaves
Just ask God to give you the direction to pray for these situations, he will give you the words if your heart is open to it
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
i have been unsure what to pray for or what to want in these situations. so I can't say yes and I can't say no. it really has been something that is a real source of confusion for me.
Yeah, I hear you. Just remember, you yourself (and me doubly-so) are a sinner, an enemy to God for all that he has given you, yet he continues to shower you with his providence and even sent his own Son to die for you. By doing these things he's partly modelling for you the way to reflect that love in your own life.

(Sorry, I'm not hugely versed in SDA doctrine so if anything that I've just said wildly violates your principles then just skip those parts ;) )

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟382,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I hear you. Just remember, you yourself (and me doubly-so) are a sinner, an enemy to God for all that he has given you, yet he continues to shower you with his providence and even sent his own Son to die for you. By doing these things he's partly modelling for you the way to reflect that love in your own life.

(Sorry, I'm not hugely versed in SDA doctrine so if anything that I've just said wildly violates your principles then just skip those parts ;) )
no nothing has violated what my principles. I am asking because I have had numerous situations where I have been painted the bad guy and I know I did not do anything wrong. I am just not sure what to do about this. this text has come to my mind, but I am unsure what to pray for or what to expect.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have been pondering this question as to why and what are we suppose to pray for when God ask us to pray for our enemies? and why? what is the purpose to be achieved? what result should we be expecting?

This has been a source of confusion and perplexity. confusion because it is unclear why and perplexity as to what is the point and what is to be achive.

It seem like nonsense,
so could some please clarify this?
We pray for our enemies the things we would pray for our family and friends.

Jesus said that if you associate only with people you like, you are no better than a lost sinner.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟382,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We pray for our enemies the things we would pray for our family and friends.

Jesus said that if you associate only with people you like, you are no better than a lost sinner.
so your point is what? that it is a matter of pride?

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
so your point is what? that it is a matter of pride?
You put it into a better word, my friend, it would be pride. If you think about it, God wants us to surrender ourselves to His will, and His will is to show good to all men. Pride is only self-seeking and self-promoting. It does not look out for the enemy's good. So it is pride to God. However, the reason we have enemies is because of our pride over others. And so, praying for our enemies teaches us humility. It is a double-edged sword. Praying for your enemies is one of the most Christ-like actions you could do.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟382,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You put it into a better word, my friend, it would be pride. If you think about it, God wants us to surrender ourselves to His will, and His will is to show good to all men. Pride is only self-seeking and self-promoting. It does not look out for the enemy's good. So it is pride to God. However, the reason we have enemies is because of our pride over others. And so, praying for our enemies teaches us humility. It is a double-edged sword. Praying for your enemies is one of the most Christ-like actions you could do.
I am not asking that question. you seem not to understand the point of the question. it is not to deny what Christ says or to disobey. It is to understand the purpose and the objective.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am not asking that question. you seem not to understand the point of the question. it is not to deny what Christ says or to disobey. It is to understand the purpose and the objective.
What if the purpose and objective is humility to God and before others?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟98,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not asking that question. you seem not to understand the point of the question. it is not to deny what Christ says or to disobey. It is to understand t
We're supposed to love our neighbors as ourselves,
Idk about others but i love having people pray for me

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟382,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What if the purpose is humility to God and before others? I think this is worth noting, friend.
what if's are not what we are going for. God is not arbitrary. there has to be a point, otherwise he is just saying take abuse. That cannot be the point that would be cruel.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
what if's are not what we are going for. God is not arbitrary. there has to be a point, otherwise he is just saying take abuse. That cannot be the point that would be cruel.
Is it cruel, or is it love?
"My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the Lord reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights." - Proverbs 3:11-12

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟382,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Like what?
you can say that any sin is God chastening you. Yes God can bring good out of evil, but it dose not change the fact that it is evil. lets take for example someone who is raped. you as a christian go to that person and tell her that she should pray for her enemies and forgive. now that seems to me to be a highly inappropriate way to respond to that situation. A person's dignity has been violated, the core of their being has been altered and they have been stolen from, and you want to criticize them for being upset about it. I have heard of things exactly like this. forgiveness seems to be used as a tool to enable abuse and to scold the victim. Instead of loving our neighbor we scold them for not loving their enemies.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟98,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i don't see the love in that.
how do you not see the LOVE in that?
Quite possibily that prayer might bring you or them to the LORD
Feels as though that contributed to me finding the LORD,
someone or perhaps more people than i realized prayed for me,
the LORD answered because it moved his heart,
He showed mercy and shared his light with me

• Winner
Upvote 0