Amman
✟8,065.00
Country
Jordan
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I was recently on Twitter when I saw that the caption “Lies Teenagers Tell Their Parents” was trending. Intrigued, I scrolled through the various posts, which contained answers such as:

“Yes, there will only be girls at the sleepover!”

“I don’t really know what alcohol tastes like.”

“Of course I studied for the test, my teacher just hates me!”

“I’ve never even had a cigarette!”

It was all along the same lines… lies about school/ homework/ grades/ attendance; friends/ boyfriends/ girlfriends/ sex/ sexuality; alcohol/drugs/smoking. And based off the answers I read, I came to some conclusions about why teenagers lie to their parents. (Note: obviously twitter does not provide a representative sample of teenagers, nor was this a serious method of research!) There seemed to be an underlying trend amongst these common “teenage lies” that really stood out to me: the fear/ assumption that their parents would be disappointed, or wouldn’t be understanding about their choices.

Fair enough, no parent wants to hear that their teenager has been out engaging in illegal, unethical or dangerous activity- but perhaps there’s a mindset that needs to change on both sides. It’s all well and good for an adult to say, “I wish I had been told this at your age!” but that won’t convince a teenager. Often teenagers don’t understand their parents’ reasoning for forbidding them to do something, and “Because I said so!” isn’t accepted as a legitimate or justifiable answer. I’m sure many teenagers I know would be less likely to feel the need to lie to their parents about experimenting with alcohol if they had actually been told that intoxication makes your body a danger to itself. Perhaps if discussions about relationships weren’t so taboo and judgemental within our households, young people wouldn’t feel the need to sneak around their parents’ backs.

During my early teen/ ‘tween’ years, I had a very strained relationship with my parents because I felt like they didn’t understand me. I felt like they made no effort to understand my social struggles or my reasoning for ‘unpleasant’ behaviour. But then we learnt to communicate better. My parents strived to meet me on my own level and see things through my eyes. Likewise, I stopped resisting their authority and realised that, although they are human and imperfect, my parents weren’t actively trying to make my life miserable or stop me from having a good time, but instead were trying to protect me based on their own knowledge and experience. Years later, our relationship is not perfect, but I genuinely cannot remember the last time I lied to my parents (unless you count the other week I went to stay with them & denied eating all the chocolate!).

حياة عيلتنا هي مدونة تُعنى بأمور العائلة والتربية، نحن آباء وأمهات يحاولون كل يوم ليكونوا أفضل أهل‫!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Serving Zion

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
A secure parent-child relationship needs to start long before the teenage years.

The honest truth is that all people of all ages lie...and they lie to avoid being embarrassed or get punished. It isn't really the fault of the person (in this case, the parent) who is being lied to. And no, not all teenagers lie.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mine were ridiculously controlling and normal things like having a hobby or even choosing a color I liked was impossible. Imagine getting lectured because you like red and you’re told that it’s a bad color because it belongs to the devil or being told that being a dancer means you’re going to become a harlot. Of course I lied to them I thought they were both crazy (I took the dance classes offered by the college as I was an adult. I remember fights over this for weeks) . Some parents do violate boundaries or are outrightly abusive around being the authority figure and teens will lie to them just to not get involved in the craziness . I didn’t waste my time over these petty things with my kids because I didn’t want them to hold me in the contempt that I felt for my parents. I wouldn’t have felt like that if I hadn’t had to put up with the manipulation, gaslighting, continual lies, and even violence (when I was younger) because they were over controlling to the point where it became abuse. If you’re too strict,unreasonable and rigid, expect your kids to lie to you.

One thing I didn’t mention to put this in perspective, my parents weren’t religious! I understand some sects don’t like certain colors and the arts but this wasn’t the case here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many people think God and Christianity is strict and rigid.

Sometime children don't see the whole picture as well as their parents.
In fact, the popular science these days says that people's brains aren't even fully developed until age 25. Certainly teenagers don't see things the same way as those over 25 do. They literally can't.

• Agree
Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

Soul-searching

Jan 27, 2018
Denmark
✟55,820.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was recently on Twitter when I saw that the caption “Lies Teenagers Tell Their Parents” was trending. Intrigued, I scrolled through the various posts, which contained answers such as:

It was all along the same lines… lies about school/ homework/ grades/ attendance; friends/ boyfriends/ girlfriends/ sex/ sexuality; alcohol/drugs/smoking. And based off the answers I read, I came to some conclusions about why teenagers lie to their parents. (Note: obviously twitter does not provide a representative sample of teenagers, nor was this a serious method of research!) There seemed to be an underlying trend amongst these common “teenage lies” that really stood out to me: the fear/ assumption that their parents would be disappointed, or wouldn’t be understanding about their choices.

Fair enough, no parent wants to hear that their teenager has been out engaging in illegal, unethical or dangerous activity- but perhaps there’s a mindset that needs to change on both sides. It’s all well and good for an adult to say, “I wish I had been told this at your age!” but that won’t convince a teenager. Often teenagers don’t understand their parents’ reasoning for forbidding them to do something, and “Because I said so!” isn’t accepted as a legitimate or justifiable answer. I’m sure many teenagers I know would be less likely to feel the need to lie to their parents about experimenting with alcohol if they had actually been told that intoxication makes your body a danger to itself. Perhaps if discussions about relationships weren’t so taboo and judgemental within our households, young people wouldn’t feel the need to sneak around their parents’ backs.

During my early teen/ ‘tween’ years, I had a very strained relationship with my parents because I felt like they didn’t understand me. I felt like they made no effort to understand my social struggles or my reasoning for ‘unpleasant’ behaviour. But then we learnt to communicate better. My parents strived to meet me on my own level and see things through my eyes. Likewise, I stopped resisting their authority and realised that, although they are human and imperfect, my parents weren’t actively trying to make my life miserable or stop me from having a good time, but instead were trying to protect me based on their own knowledge and experience. Years later, our relationship is not perfect, but I genuinely cannot remember the last time I lied to my parents (unless you count the other week I went to stay with them & denied eating all the chocolate!).
Teens are in a state of growing their own independent self and they can´t if we control them too hard. Just because the parents are wiser and older does not make them all knowing. people are different, even our children are different than us, and might need other limitations than we do.Just because we think something is right in our view, does not necessarily make it right for the teen. A respect and understanding from the parent to the teen and vice versa would in my view be the best approach. In most cases parents want to make their kids versions of themselves. Teens lie because they can´t be themselves, they are escaping from the control, they seek independence more than anything.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You've hit the nail on the head by saying that they don't understand, it's just "rules".

It's that age of becoming grown-up, where we get smart enough to use lies effectively (little kids get busted straight away when they lie, so it keeps them honest - in that sense, the parent's discernment, righteousness and strength contribute to the success of their guidance). But learning how to lie opens up a whole new world of temptation. The inherent lack of respect for the parents' wisdom is a big part of it. If they don't agree with the rules, they are going to want to break them.

This is an idea about that, the doubting of the parent's righteousness, feelings of injustice or pettiness etc:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Teens are in a state of growing their own independent self and they can´t if we control them too hard. Just because the parents are wiser and older does not make them all knowing. people are different, even our children are different than us, and might need other limitations than we do.Just because we think something is right in our view, does not necessarily make it right for the teen. A respect and understanding from the parent to the teen and vice versa would in my view be the best approach. In most cases parents want to make their kids versions of themselves. Teens lie because they can´t be themselves, they are escaping from the control, they seek independence more than anything.

I think by the time kids are teens, parents are acutely aware that the kids are not the "same as they are". I don't think most parents want "mini me" but rather want to save their children from the pain of making bad decisions. Rules like..make good grades, don't drink, don't put yourself in situations with the opposite sex where decisions are made with hormones instead of our common sense...are not horrible rules. However, the kids need to feel safe enough to discuss the complex issues of growing up with the rule maker so that it isj't a "rule" so much as a "joint decision".

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Teens lie for the same reasons we all do:
1) we are all born egotists - liars value themselves over even reality itself
2) we lie if threatened and are offered no reasonable way out - it's stealth as a survival technique

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you're not strict enough, expect your kids to get into trouble.
mine didn’t . They had to do chores , do well in school and stay out of trouble. They both got told to not drink because I might carry the gene for alcoholism ( if you don’t drink it’s not a problem) . As far as the silly fashions they got told that they couldn’t wear certain styles everywhere. They had the earrings , long hair , one had a piercing, the other had a tattoo. They’re both boys.

Ones a biochemist, the other a computer scientist. Ones a Christian the other a Buddhist . I wasn’t going to let the fundie hatred of science derail my kids dreams either so I honestly kept them out of the church even though we lived right across the street.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
There are a lot of good points made. I think all of them can be true to varying degrees and under certain circumstances.

Generally speaking, teenagers lie because they are human and they are immature on top of that. I don't know a single person, kid or adult, or who is completely honest 100% of the time. Add the complexities of adolescence and all the sources of accountability they have (parents, teachers, coaches, ministers, extended family, boss, etc...) and all the various people they cross paths with, there's going to be some lies coming out of their mouths.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soul-searching

Jan 27, 2018
Denmark
✟55,820.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think by the time kids are teens, parents are acutely aware that the kids are not the "same as they are". I don't think most parents want "mini me" but rather want to save their children from the pain of making bad decisions. Rules like..make good grades, don't drink, don't put yourself in situations with the opposite sex where decisions are made with hormones instead of our common sense...are not horrible rules. However, the kids need to feel safe enough to discuss the complex issues of growing up with the rule maker so that it isj't a "rule" so much as a "joint decision".
I hear you. of course everyone wants to stop their kids from making bad decissions. I just think that experience beats anything in the end, because here is where the true knowledge comes in. If you tell your kids don´t do this or that, unfortunately some won´t understand until they have tried it on their own bodies and made their own ideas of how things are in reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hear you. of course everyone wants to stop their kids from making bad decissions. I just think that experience beats anything in the end, because here is where the true knowledge comes in. If you tell your kids don´t do this or that, unfortunately some won´t understand until they have tried it on their own bodies and made their own ideas of how things are in reality.
Experience does trump lectures (or other methods of training). I think the key is to choose your battles wisely. For example, it's a whole different thing between wearing a G-string to school versus experimenting with heroin. Certain experiences are one-way streets.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

Some, not most. Again, a reason to build a good relationship with your kids when they are young. Too many things are so significant that once you have experience them, there is no going back... Luckily, not all knowledge is acquired by experience. Teen parenthood doesn't lead to making better parenting choices later in life...neither does a DUI.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Experience does trump lectures (or other methods of training). I think the key is to choose your battles wisely. For example, it's a whole different thing between wearing a G-string to school versus experimenting with heroin. Certain experiences are one-way streets.

The problem with the g-string to school and other sexual behaviors not fully understood by teen girls can lead to more important issue like date rape... it can be much more than "just fashion, Mom!" to a teen boy with raging hormones and a sense of entitlement.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You've hit the nail on the head by saying that they don't understand, it's just "rules".
There are centuries of generations that had "just rules" growing up.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it can be much more than "just fashion, Mom!" to a teen boy with raging hormones and a sense of entitlement.
There is the problem: entitlement.

Upvote 0