Why do people like certain languages/a person they know knowing it?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is it because the language is of a race/location not associated with the speaker? One time I sent my mom a japanese phrase in a text and she said later on, "i have a son that knows japanese, what" in a non serious tone.

People like colors because of certain memories, and I have memories of certain languages first being translated by people hearing both since early childhood , and that languages like indian had to be translated that way and theres no way for an english speaker as an adult to just know it, and I also remember asking how big words were first translated. How do you think that's connected to me liking japanese now?

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, there are people who learn second languages as a necessity because of immigration or because the majority culture requires it. But most people who are interested in a foreign language are because it's associated with something personal or with something else they're interested in. For instance, I study German because my family is mostly German-American. I study Greek and Russian because I'm Orthodox. I have a colleague who knows Arabic because he married a North African girl. I have another colleague who studies French because he likes French literature.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, there are people who learn second languages as a necessity because of immigration or because the majority culture requires it. But most people who are interested in a foreign language are because it's associated with something personal or with something else they're interested in. For instance, I study German because my family is mostly German-American. I study Greek and Russian because I'm Orthodox. I have a colleague who knows Arabic because he married a North African girl. I have another colleague who studies French because he likes French literature.

Do you think my memories have led to my interest in learning some japanese?
People like colors because of certain memories, and I have memories of certain languages first being translated by people hearing both since early childhood , and that languages like indian had to be translated that way and theres no way for an english speaker as an adult to just know it, and I also remember asking how big words were first translated. How do you think that's connected to me liking japanese now?

japanese isn't a romance language like cognates (like italian or spanish, actually it has cognates like onna and namae but few compared to the others)

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

How many phrases do you know in german?

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
How many phrases do you know in german?
I can carry on a basic conversation in German. Can't really talk politics or talk for a profession, though.

How is your Japanese?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can carry on a basic conversation in German. Can't really talk politics or talk for a profession, though.

How is your Japanese?

i know lyrics to some christian songs, some lines of let it go from frozen, and basics like "wakarimasen" "o kuni no kara deska" and "o namay wa nani deska"

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
i know lyrics to some christian songs, some lines of let it go from frozen, and basics like "wakarimasen" "o kuni no kara deska" and "o namay wa nani deska"
Very cool. Have you ever read Shogun? Or watched the series?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Is it about medieval japan?
Yes! It's a fictionalized retelling of William Adams' real-life experiences as an Englishman marooned in Japan. And it's looooong. Like, the book is 1000+ pages. But it's so good as a discussion of the cultural differences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

As a thirteen-something teen, I spent one winter trying to learn Greek on my own. Why? Because my then-puppy-love's family used to vacation in Rhodes every year. Teenage girls-in-love aren't the most rational ones! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
What is your opinion on Dothraki (if its even a language)
Dothraki language - Wikipedia
Sorry; I haven't been ignoring you, I promise. I was on vacation recently and didn't check my inbox so often.

I don't know enough about the structure of Dothraki to know what I think about it, but I really like Valyrian. It sounds almost Latin to me, and I'm able to pick out some of its structure. Fictional languages are always cool in my book, though.

Do you like German or Nihingo more?
Ich Bin Gehimnisvol.
I like German more. Mostly because it's the majority of my heritage. I think it's important for people to connect with their ancestry.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sorry; I haven't been ignoring you, I promise. I was on vacation recently and didn't check my inbox so often.

I don't know enough about the structure of Dothraki to know what I think about it, but I really like Valyrian. It sounds almost Latin to me, and I'm able to pick out some of its structure. Fictional languages are always cool in my book, though.

I like German more. Mostly because it's the majority of my heritage. I think it's important for people to connect with their ancestry.

I wonder if children heard those sounds, what they would make of it.
hūrenkon qogror — "lunar class",
vēzenkon qogror — "solar class",
tegōñor qogror — "terrestrial class",
embōñor qogror — "aquatic class".
Valyrian languages - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mothcorrupteth

Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Some people think Latin is a stiff sounding language.

Upvote 0