Why choosing to focus on eternity or heaven is so hard and not so appealing sometimes ?

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟13,295.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Got to be honest, sometimes the prospect of heaven is not that appealing compared to what this world has to offer.
That why some people sell their souls to the devil. Do sins like selling drugs to get rich. They fornicate and live a promiscious life.
How can we desire the eternal things, the things of heaven more than what this world has to offer ? It is not always that easy, got to be honest, the things of this world are very attractive and tempting sometimes.

Br,

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟430,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s not easy it’s a fight to redirect your mind all the time. If you want heaven you will do it. If you don’t want hell you will do it. There is hope in heaven. This world does not satisfy and leads to destruction. Youthful sins lead to an affliction that doesn’t want to let heaven go in my case. I had to learn by experience, I didn’t believe anyone else. But I’m sorry about that. Experience is a cruel teacher, but I did learn. There is not much time left to learn this way, it takes a long time to recover. If you value your sanity and quality of life, you could hold yourself for God for several years. You could go all Bible and sacrifice the desires of your flesh. You wouldn’t be disappointed.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟365,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I love the triune all of my life and try to live accordingly but despite that, having a terrible time studying the bible can wipe all the good things away and cause me to lose my salvation it doesn't seem fair and i don't believe it says in the word that this will happen but it certainly is promoted here and in sone churches. The word doesn't com out and say "not studying the Bible is a sin."
So much of what is said or implied shouldn't be.

Upvote 0

Tom8907

Feb 3, 2020
London
✟12,996.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Continue growing- don't forget to read God's word everyday, pray, go to Church and Bible study (fellowship is a key to growing.)

And that time you get for leisurely reading, might it be better to read Christian literature instead?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟365,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Continue growing- don't forget to read God's word everyday, pray, go to Church and Bible study (fellowship is a key to growing.)

And that time you get for leisurely reading, might it be better to read Christian literature instead?
Yes, i once said that to myself. I can't read another book until i read the Bible. That didn't work. I stopped reading. I've read the Bible a few times but didn't study it so it didn't mean much, it didn't stick. I watch or listen to Christian TV during the night but that is not study. I always hope something goes into my subconscious when I'm sleeping

Upvote 0

Tom8907

Feb 3, 2020
London
✟12,996.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Yes, i once said that to myself. I can't read another book until i read the Bible. That didn't work. I stopped reading. I've read the Bible a few times but didn't study it so it didn't mean much, it didn't stick. I watch or listen to Christian TV during the night but that is not study. I always hope something goes into my subconscious when I'm sleeping
What really helped me is fellowship- as Christians we are one big family and we must act like it. Talking after service and Bible study is crucially important.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟165,637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

Got to be honest, sometimes the prospect of heaven is not that appealing compared to what this world has to offer.
That why some people sell their souls to the devil. Do sins like selling drugs to get rich. They fornicate and live a promiscious life.
How can we desire the eternal things, the things of heaven more than what this world has to offer ? It is not always that easy, got to be honest, the things of this world are very attractive and tempting sometimes.

Br,
Jesus responded to the question "then who can be saved?" by saying "with men, it is impossible, but with God all things are possible." It means that we have to realize how spiritually bankrupt we are, which results in desires that motivate us to disobey God. Then to realize that through Jesus we can be healed - that is, to kill evil desires and to have desires that motivate us to please God (1 Pet. 2:24). This requires faith that God will correct our desires, and wisdom, that desires to please God must be greater than fleshly feelings.

The apostle Paul wrote that sin is pleasurable in the moment, but yields a bad consequence. An eternal vision is a necessary element in overcoming sin. 2 Cor. 4:16-18 "So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."
Phil. 3:20 "But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ."

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟165,637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What really helped me is fellowship- as Christians we are one big family and we must act like it. Talking after service and Bible study is crucially important.
Some of my greatest growing times was in controversy, because I had to have the Biblical solutions.

Reactions: Tom8907
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟732,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

Br,
Sin causes destruction ... hard to image a world without sin ... but ... yes I most definitely want to live in a world without sin.

Matthew 6:19-34

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Things of this earth are temporal ... things of heaven are eternal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums