Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Which Bibles do you believe are actually authentic?

Here's some info on this:

The Church is not based on the Bible. Rather, the Bible is a product of the Church. For the first few centuries of the Christian era, no one could have put his hands on a single volume called The Bible. In fact, there was no one put his hands on a single volume called The Bible. In fact, there was no agreement regarding which books of Scripture were to be considered accurate and correct, or canonical. Looking back over history, there were various lists of the canonical books comprising the Bible:
  • The Muratorian Canon (130 AD) cities all the books we considered as parts of the Bible today, except for Hebrews, Jude, 2 Peter, 2 John, 3 John, and Revelation/Apocalypse
  • Canon 60 of the local Council of Laodicea (364 AD) cited Revelation/Apocalypse
  • A festal Epistle by Saint Athanasius (369 AD) lists all of them.
Even so, there was no official, authoritative canon listing all the books until the Sixth Ecumenical Council, at Constantinople in AD 680. Canon II of that Council ratifies the First through the Fifth Ecumenical Councils, as well as the local councils at Carthage (AD 255), Ancyra (AD 315), Neocaesaria (AD 315), Gangra (AD 340), Antioch (AD 341), Laodicea (AD 364), Sardica (AD 347), Constantinople (AD 394), and Carthage (AD 419). When the Council at Laodicea specified the content of the bible as we know it — 39 years after the First Ecumenical Council (AD 325) and 17 years before the second Ecumenical Council (AD 381) — the Liturgy was pretty much well-defined and established and had been canonized by common usage — the reading from these books. It was not until the invention of the printing press in Western Europe, coinciding with the period of the Protestant Reformation of Western Christianity that The Bible was widely disseminated as a single volume.
When Protestant Western Christians reviewed the canonical books of Scripture, they adopted the Hebrew Canon accepted by the Jews since AD 100. — See The Books of the Old Testament

The Holy Scriptures were preserved by the Orthodox Church. These books and letters were studied, copied, collected, recopied, passed from group of early Christians to another, and read in the services of the Church. Testimony to the fidelity of reproduction in this milieu is the consistent agreement among the Church Fathers when they cite Scripture, and their common understanding of Scripture in their deliberations at the local and Ecumenical councils.
Over the centuries, alterations crept into some manuscripts. Sometimes the texts were altered by accident (e.g.., mistakes made in copying these books by hand). At other times intentional alterations were made, either by misguided but innocent copyists who thought they were correcting errors in the manuscripts they were working from, or by heretics who full intended to change the words of Scripture to suit their purposes. The Church, however, guided by the Holy Spirit, distinguished between authentic and inauthentic manuscripts, discarding or ignoring the latter, copying and handing on the former. Even today we see the authentic words of Scripture preserved. When a young priest or a chanter mispronounces a word in its original Greek, there will be a Bishop, an older priest — or even a venerable Orthodox grandmother — who will be quick to point out the aberration from the way the text has always been sung or read!

The authentic Greek text of the Bible is preserved by the Orthodox Church. When translating the New Testament into English, there are many Greek manuscripts to choose from. To ask, What does the original Greek say? is to beg the question, which Greek text? For Orthodox Christians this is a very easy question to answer. We simply use the Greek text handed down within the Orthodox Church which has been proven consistent by 2000 years of liturgical use and which the Church, guided by the Holy Spirit, has given us. To Scripture scholars there is a huge body of ancient Greek manuscripts, known as the Byzantine text-type, which embodies the Orthodox textual tradition. These old manuscripts and lectionaries differ very little from each other, and are indeed in overwhelming agreement with each other throughout the whole New Testament. Furthermore, they are great in number and comprise the vast majority of existing Greek manuscripts.

Most modern English Bible translations are based on bogus versions of the Scriptures. Unfortunately, no English translation of the Bible has been made using the Byzantine text-type manuscripts of the New Testament since the King James Version (KJV) in 1611. The others are all based on the eclectic Greek New Testament manuscripts and various Hebrew Old Testament texts. The bottom line is that manuscripts which the Orthodox Church did not use or copy have been elevated above those texts which the Church has preserved by modern and contemporary Scripture scholars and translators. Sadly, but perhaps significantly indicative, is the fact that the scholars who put together those eclectic critical texts decisively reject the Byzantine (that is to say, Orthodox) text-type, claiming that the Byzantine text was corrupted by Orthodox copyists eager to conform the text of Scripture to Orthodox theology as it developed over the first several centuries of the Church's life.

Modern translations obscure the Divinity of Christ. In what can only be a return to the ancient heresy of Arius, even the much touted 1952 Revised Standard Version (RSV) translation of Scripture tends to minimize Christ's divine nature. Forty years ago the King James translation was widely impugned for being based on the Greek Byzantine texts which were called corrupt — an amazing accusation considering the pedigree of the eclectic critical texts. In the liberal theological milieu of that time, many Protestant theologians denied not only the virgin birth, but also the divinity of Christ and His resurrection. One curious feature of the RSV translation is its apparent mixture of old and new English; the older traditional second person singular pronoun, thou/thee/thy, is intermixed with the nondescript modern ye/you/you. While at first glance this seems chaotic, it actually serves as a hidden code. The traditional thou usage is employed when God is addressed, but you whenever anyone else is addressed. Note, for example, that the Our Father in the RSV retains the word thy in referring to God's name, kingdom, and will. But note that in the RSV translation a leper addresses Jesus in Mark 1:40, Saying If you will, you can make me clean, and Peter says in Matthew 16:16, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God. The only time in the RSV that Christ is addressed as Thou is after He is no longer on earth, but even this is found mainly in Hebrews when Paul quotes from the Old Testament.

The clearly Protestant bias against the Theotokos, and her Orthodox definition as critical to preserving the divinity of Christ is also very evident in the RSV. Consider Matthew 1:25 (KJV): (Joseph) knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son; and he called his name Jesus. But in the RSV: (Joseph) knew her not until she had borne a son; and he called his name Jesus. From the Byzantine, Orthodox, texts, the KJV tells us that Mary brought forth not a son, but her firstborn — precluding her having had previous children. Moreover, He is clearly her son; but not Joseph's. Note how the RSV is distinguished from the KJV in Luke 2:33; after Simeon returned Jesus to His mother, the narrative tells us (KJV): Joseph and his mother marveled at those things which were spoken of him. But the RSV: And his father and his mother marveled at what was said about him. The RSV infers that Joseph is Jesus' father, presumably his biological father — a clear refutation of the dogma of virgin birth.

Or again, consider the following notable omission in John 3:13. KJV: No man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. But the RSV: No one has ascended into heaven but he who descended from heaven, the Son of man.

The Byzantine text is clearly reflected in the KJV; the eclectic text by the RSV. Yet only a tiny handful of manuscripts omit the expression which is in heaven while the vast majority of manuscripts include it, as do the quotations of Church fathers such as Saint Basil the Great, Saint Hilary, Saint John Chrysostom, and Saint Cyril. This particular Scripture text is the clearest witness to the Orthodox teaching that Christ is fully man while not being circumscribed in any way as God, since it indicates that Christ was simultaneously on earth in the body and in heaven with the Father. It also indicates, contrary to modern liberal theology, that our Lord knew very well just Who He was, where He came from, and what business He was about.

The Corruption of Paraphrased Bibles. There is no need in this article to provide such critical analysis of the various other translations which followed the RSV (e.g, NIV, NAB); all are even more flawed. A comment should be made, however, of several very dangerous paraphrased versions of the Bible, such as Today's English Version and the volume sold as The Book. If the Scripture scholars can criticize the Byzantine copyists for corrupting the text to conform to Orthodox theology, what are we to say about the non-Orthodox paraphrases who have radically altered not only text, but the whole meaning of various passages? These Bibles are to be totally and completely avoided by the Orthodox; they have no good purpose whatsoever because they are gross distortions of the truth, and serve only to infiltrate a completely corrupted theology into the minds of the faithful.

The Orthodox Witness. One very interesting question, never asked, is this: If scholars are willing to assemble an eclectic text out of Scripture fragments from various sources — often of unknown doctrinal origin or authority — why haven't they ever considered the living archeological evidence of Scripture segments that have been repeated faithfully for ages in the Orthodox Liturgy? Why haven't serious modern scholars considered the incredible coincidence that 72 Hebrew scholars could all translate the Old Testament in exactly the same manner into the Septuagint Greek? Why haven't they examined the translation of the Scriptures done a thousand years ago from Greek into Slavonic, which has preserved exactly, accurately, and precisely the meaning of the Greek original? And, more to the point, if errors have crept in and accumulated as texts were copied over the years, why aren't the existing copies of these Greek and Slavonic Scriptures divergent?

Non-Orthodox scholars cannot answer these questions because, to do so honestly and truthfully, they would have to admit that in fact the Orthodox Church, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, has preserved intact and correctly the Holy Scriptures. And, moreover, this preservation is in part assured by the dogma and doctrine of the Church which both draw from the Scripture and provide evidence and support of its truth.

http://www.geocities.com/trvalentine/orthodox/bible_texts.html

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
treat yourself to a critical edition of the new testament (Greek) and translate it yourself if you do not trust the versions on the market at present.

But for me I use a International standard version (http://isv.org) which can be downloaded from the net, i can find the names and credentials of all the translators. I can see who has contributed to the text. If I have questions about why they have translated a text the way they have, i can write to them and get an answer back within a few hours (timezones permitting). It's free and can be d'loaded in word and pdf formats and can be purchased printed (if that floats your boat)

Upvote 0

HBCountry

Jul 29, 2007
KY
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most modern English Bible translations are based on bogus versions of the Scriptures. Unfortunately, no English translation of the Bible has been made using the Byzantine text-type manuscripts of the New Testament since the King James Version (KJV) in 1611. The others are all based on the eclectic Greek New Testament manuscripts and various Hebrew Old Testament texts. The bottom line is that manuscripts which the Orthodox Church did not use or copy have been elevated above those texts which the Church has preserved by modern and contemporary Scripture scholars and translators. Sadly, but perhaps significantly indicative, is the fact that the scholars who put together those eclectic critical texts decisively reject the Byzantine (that is to say, Orthodox) text-type, claiming that the Byzantine text was corrupted by Orthodox copyists eager to conform the text of Scripture to Orthodox theology as it developed over the first several centuries of the Church's life.

And that is why I like the good ole King James version.

Also one can use the Strong's Concordance with it.

Upvote 0

StephanStrategy

Jun 11, 2007
✟16,442.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the NA27 and UBS4 show the difference between the text types and sources.

I think the modern translations do a fine job with the information we now have available to us.

The 1599 Geneva Bible is a good translation too, even without the information about Ugaritic, Hebrew and Greek language structure, and the Dead Sea scrolls.

Mike

Upvote 0

disasm

Jun 19, 2007
Howard, PA
Visit site
✟16,089.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is an interesting topic. Also of note, the Vaticanus text wasn't even known until after Erasmus wrote the Textus Receptus. The Catholic Church gave this translation to a council of translators to come up with a "better" translation than Erasmus did.

The Sinaiticus was found in a greek monastery by Tischendorf. It wasn't found in a good light though. The monks at the monastery had it in a burn pile of things they were preparing to destroy. I wonder if maybe there was a reason they considered it trash. It might have had to do with the "corrections" throughout it, passages being re-written, and crossed out, etc...

None the less, The Sinaiticus and Vaticanus are considered the most accurate translations we have today, for no reason other than they are the oldest around. Is it possible, they survived this long because no one ever used them?

Another note, the greek text held by the Orthodox Church is considered the Majority Text, because the majority of the manuscripts we have found are in agreement with it.

Upvote 0

Orion567

Jun 6, 2007
Bullhead City
✟7,731.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not going to even touch on this matter as if it was written in stone, but we Christians believe that the original manuscripts are inspired and inherant not any particular translation. Regardless, I use the ASV and the NASB because of the ease of reading I get from it. I still use the KJV as well since I have read it since I was 6 years old. When I ventured to a more modern translation I took a lot of thought and time to make a decision. It is really what suits you and what ministers best to your hearing that matters. The Holy Spirit is not limited by our finite facilities. If the New Living translation feeds you the very Words of God that keeps you sanctified, then praise the Lord for that. In my own opinion the NASB comes quite close to being accurate. A few paraphrases, but nothing that will turn me into a heathen. So, I will not push the matter further. The OP has laid a good case on the scriptures and all is considered, but authenticity is not what we are looking at. If you want authenticity, then learn to read Hebrew and Greek.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Which Bibles do you believe are actually authentic?

Well, I would not bother with the Book of Mormon personally, nor anything written by JWs. They are welcome to them, but they are not my cup of tea.

Other than that, you can read any Bible you like, any edition you like, any denomination you like, and you will find the way to God revealed within. But the way is not the Bible, the way is Christ himself.

The Bible is not God, so I see no reason to agonise over which version, or which translation. They are each as good, or as bad, as each other. It is God we need to seek, not the most ancient version of Isaiah whatever.

Upvote 0

t1mp

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
✟15,213.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you get down to translations, learn aramaic and read the dead sea scrolls, the Torah(Old Testament) and so on.

But like stated, the Bible is not God, but God is God. The Holy Spirit inspired men and women to write/dictate books of the bible. Jesus came and established the New Covenant and died for our sins, giving us not only a perfect model of a sinless Human but also eternal life.

Our Lord of lords is so amazing in giving us this gift, why do you not think our Lord can preserve these inspirations in whatever language we read them, or translate them in. The disciples when first starting out spoke in tongues (acts 2) of different languages and amazed many, can not the inspired word from God be preserved and translated for His purpose for all nations in the good book?

Upvote 0

mick24458

Nov 12, 2006
✟15,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think if translators are doing the best that they can and are acknowledging difficulties from original to another language, we are left with a lifetime's worth of seeking God in whatever language you are reading it. I wish i had the time and intellectual capacity to read the original but I don't, therfore, the NIV is my reading bible and the NASB my study bible, concordances, interlinear and dictionaries do the rest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.