Which Apostolic Church do you belong to?

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anglicans have apostolic succession? didn't we split from the Roman Catholic church?

Anglicanism has always taught the necessity of Apostolic Succession.

And we didn't "split" from the Roman Catholic Church. Anglicanism was recognized as independent from quite some time; all we did was kick the Pope out from the last time...not including the short stint under Mary I.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Since I last posted in this thread, several years ago, I've switched churches. I am no longer with Assemblies of God, but now am Episcopalian and Lutheran (ELCA). Yes, both. I only belong to one church, but it (unusally) has both affiliations. I made that change about three years ago, and I'm very glad I did.

:liturgy:

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I belong to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church and am part of its latin rite(Roman rite).

Most excellent, so do I.

st_peters_basilica_rome_.jpg

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I was baptized and confirmed in the United Methodist Church. I am also a catechumen in the Orthodox Church, though I don't attend there anymore regularly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was baptized and confirmed Roman Catholic, but I had serious disagreements starting in first grade catechism.
So they have what they consider to be a valid claim on my soul, but I contest the legitimacy of both the claim and the ecclesiology it is based on.
One could say which church I "belong" to, is in dispute.

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,378.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm the ultimate Apostolic. After failing in 1963 in RC Inquiry class because I considered Natural Law as too narrowly Western and legalistic, I read Tim Ware in 1964 as a wannabe Eastern Orthodox. Too Eastern and mystical. Finally managed to get someone to baptize me in 1969 as Broad-Church Post-Vatican-II Roman Catholic in 1969 and New-Testament-ized it in 1977 by getting Baptized in the Spirit. This lead to years of broadly Apostolic attendance besides RC Mass at LARC (Lutheran-Anglican-Roman Catholic) Charismatic Renewal rallies. Realized in 1992 that RC was too Protestantized by the Council of Trent following Protestant lead and had canonized plenary inspiration and verbal inerrancy of the Bible, so I switched to 1979 Prayer Book (almost identical to the four RC masses) Episcopalian (ECUSA) and in 2004
to the Lutheran Church that particularly in its ELCA version swears by the Augsburg Confession that the Mass is all the more honored by us. All along the way feeling that my inveterate intellectualism means I'm more of a Nestorian except that as an Origenist I'm pretty much the opposite of a body that so honors the literalist Theodore of Mopsuetia. Go figure.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
All along the way feeling that my inveterate intellectualism means I'm more of a Nestorian except that as an Origenist I'm pretty much the opposite of a body that so honors the literalist Theodore of Mopsuetia. Go figure.
A lot going on there

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Anglican Church, the Oriental Orthodox Church, one of the various Old Catholic churches, or one of the many Continuing Anglican churches?

This was going to be a poll but I forgot to click the relevant box :doh:

Eastern Orthodox

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm the ultimate Apostolic. After failing in 1963 in RC Inquiry class because I considered Natural Law as too narrowly Western and legalistic, I read Tim Ware in 1964 as a wannabe Eastern Orthodox. Too Eastern and mystical. Finally managed to get someone to baptize me in 1969 as Broad-Church Post-Vatican-II Roman Catholic in 1969 and New-Testament-ized it in 1977 by getting Baptized in the Spirit. This lead to years of broadly Apostolic attendance besides RC Mass at LARC (Lutheran-Anglican-Roman Catholic) Charismatic Renewal rallies. Realized in 1992 that RC was too Protestantized by the Council of Trent following Protestant lead and had canonized plenary inspiration and verbal inerrancy of the Bible, so I switched to 1979 Prayer Book (almost identical to the four RC masses) Episcopalian (ECUSA) and in 2004
to the Lutheran Church that particularly in its ELCA version swears by the Augsburg Confession that the Mass is all the more honored by us. All along the way feeling that my inveterate intellectualism means I'm more of a Nestorian except that as an Origenist I'm pretty much the opposite of a body that so honors the literalist Theodore of Mopsuetia. Go figure.

You might well check out the actual Assyrian Church of the East. They will serve the Eucharist to anyone who is baptized and believes it is the true body and blood of our Lord. Also, I ,ay be wrong on this, but I dont believe they ever anathematized Origen (Origen and Theodore of Mopsuestia, who they regard as a saint, and whose name is attached to one of the three of the ancient liturgies they serve, were both anathematized post mortem in the complex sequence of events under St. Justinian regarded as the Fifth Ecumenical Council).

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
What a journey! I can respect someone who has tried so diligently to find the right way.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟225,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I come dragging in late as usual. Korean Episcopal Church, in the US nominally under the hierarchy of TEC, but in practice far closer to the Anglican Church of Korea (read as "far more conservative than TEC").

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟841,026.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, I come dragging in late as usual. Korean Episcopal Church, in the US nominally under the hierarchy of TEC, but in practice far closer to the Anglican Church of Korea (read as "far more conservative than TEC").
Better late than never!

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Anglican Church, the Oriental Orthodox Church, one of the various Old Catholic churches, or one of the many Continuing Anglican churches?

This was going to be a poll but I forgot to click the relevant box :doh:

Eastern Orthodox

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,258,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I fell over this made me so dizzy. ;->
In comparison I am a plain old Latin Rite Catholic. One that actually believes what's in the catechism. And kinda sorta likes Origen even if he is a bit to figurative for me as steady fare.

Upvote 0