Whatsoever you do to the least of My brethren, that you do unto Me.

Is sarcasm a sin according to the Holy Bible?

• Yes, sarcasm is always sinful behavior.

• Yes, except when I use it to belittle myself.

• It's a sin only if used against a Christian.

• No, it's never a sin.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Victorian Rose

The Lord is my Strength
Feb 19, 2004
Iowa
✟24,452.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think sarcasm is always a sin. It is hurtful to whoever it touches and that makes it a sin. It isn't loving. I am not always perfect in not using sarcasm but, I am getting much better. I used to be the sarcasm Queen. I really don't like the rollyeyed smiley because it is rude and used to show rudeness. I never use it and I think we could do without it.

Upvote 0

Andyman_1970

Trying to walk in His dust...............
Feb 2, 2004
The Natural State
Visit site
✟20,340.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
chanter said:
We will be judged by Christ on how we treat our brothers.

Do you think this is appropriate of Christians?

I think for the believer the central issue if that verse is that there is a connection between how we treat others and how we see God. With this verse, when a Christian is disrespectful to another person (believer or not) ultimatly that Christian that is disrepectful is being disrespectful to God Himself.

Unfortunatly I have seen this far too often in churches without anyone even batting an eye.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It can be. If it is used in an attempt to one up someone else. Joking among friends, where everyone knows (and feels) that it's just in fun...that's different.

A good example of the Christian use of sarcasm is the term 'friend'. Like "Look here, friend"... I've never heard a fellow christian call a stranger friend that didn't actually mean jerk.

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It all depends, my friends and I say things that to others might be insults but are said in fun and are not meant or taken as insults. Using the :rolleyes: in that context wouldn't be sinful in my opinion, neither would it be sinful to use use in the context of making the mood lighter in one of your own posts. I think that sarcasm used in an insulting manner is likely sin, but using sarcasm in a joking manner amongst friends is no more a sin than satire is a sin. It all depends on context really.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
flesh99 said:
It all depends, my friends and I say things that to others might be insults but are said in fun and are not meant or taken as insults. Using the :rolleyes: in that context wouldn't be sinful in my opinion, neither would it be sinful to use use in the context of making the mood lighter in one of your own posts. I think that sarcasm used in an insulting manner is likely sin, but using sarcasm in a joking manner amongst friends is no more a sin than satire is a sin. It all depends on context really.

I agree with Rainbow Rose's post. You all are giving great answers.

However, flesh99, could you please give a specific example of non-sinful sarcastic behavior?

I don't think a sarcastic word was ever uttered from Christ's lips, isn't this true?

Upvote 0

J.A.I

. Galatians 6:10 .
Jan 28, 2004
✟10,903.00
Faith
Christian
I am sarcastic a LOT.. and I DO mean a lot.. with friends and family (especially my mommy; she and I love our special humor :D hehehe). I call my coworkers 'buddy' but I don't mean it as jerk.. It's just humor. I am a sarcastic person. That isn't sin.

If the intent in your heart is evil, then that's what makes it sin.

I am with Flesh and Kelly on this one.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Kelly said:
It can be. If it is used in an attempt to one up someone else. Joking among friends, where everyone knows (and feels) that it's just in fun...that's different.

A good example of the Christian use of sarcasm is the term 'friend'. Like "Look here, friend"... I've never heard a fellow christian call a stranger friend that didn't actually mean jerk.

Isn't this being double tongued? Isn't that a sin?

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
chanter said:
I agree with Rainbow Rose's post. You all are giving great answers.

However, flesh99, could you please give a specific example of non-sinful sarcastic behavior?

I don't think a sarcastic word was ever uttered from Christ's lips, isn't this true?

Anything that is not meant to hurt or belittle anyone. For instance when I tell my brother "Yeah, ...right, that's your story and you're stickin' to it". He knows it's a joke, I know it's a joke, and no-one is harmed.

Your last sentence is one of the worst strawmen you can throw out. Jesus also never drove a car, never used a computer, never called anyone on the phone, etc and so on ad nauseum. It is completely a strawman and honestly not worth responding to except to identify it as such.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
flesh99 said:
Anything that is not meant to hurt or belittle anyone. For instance when I tell my brother "Yeah, ...right, that's your story and you're stickin' to it". He knows it's a joke, I know it's a joke, and no-one is harmed.

Your last sentence is one of the worst strawmen you can throw out. Jesus also never drove a car, never used a computer, never called anyone on the phone, etc and so on ad nauseum. It is completely a strawman and honestly not worth responding to except to identify it as such.

I took logic and the question I asked isn't considered a strawman argument. It's an interrogative sentence, not a declarative assertion. Only declarative statements can be written or used as strawmen.

I asked an honest question:

Brood of Vipers
White washed sepulchres
Beam in your own eye

All these quotes from Christ - are they metaphors or is He using sarcasm?

Your move.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Flesh99

According to your definition of a fundamentalist in the permanent rules for this forum, I qualify as a fundamentalist, as there was nothing in your statement that would exclude me. That is why I posted this poll and the questions.

I believe in the Holy Bible and in the unchanging Apostolic faith that was delivered once for all peoples in all times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mpshiel

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2003
I've been told "Sodom" so I guess that's close eno
Visit site
✟19,234.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. Job uses sarcasm in Job 12:1 (though you sort of have to read up to it to realize how biting the sacasm is) - Yet God said Job was sinless.

As to the Jesus, I think there is a difference between a metaphor and sarcasm. If I say, "our positions are like apples and oranges" is it not sarcasm. If I said, "fighting you is like a buick taking on an ant." I think you could read some negativity there. I think Jesus was drawing out some personality issues about people or humans in general. "White Washed Sepulichure" - a metaphor comparing the obession over displaying outward purity regardless of what actually lies within (or it could be a metaphor on God's point of view as he sees both the inside and outside simultanously).

Upvote 0

Paula

Veteran
Oct 15, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟17,178.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I think J.A.I. summed it up quite nicely when he said, "If the intent in your heart is evil, then that's what makes it sin."

The word sarcasm is from the Greek sarkasmos, meaning to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, Note that Webster's has two definitions for sarcasm:

1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

The second definition of satirical wit, especially when we use ironic language, is a lot different than cutting or biting rage, so I guess as long as we don't cut or give pain to someone, it wouldn't be sin.

synonyms for sarcastic: [size=-1]SATIRIC[/size], [size=-1]IRONIC[/size], [size=-1]SARDONIC [/size]:
[size=-1]SATIRIC [/size]implies that the intent of the ridiculing is censure and reprobation <a satiric look at contemporary sexual mores>. [size=-1]IRONIC [/size]implies an attempt to be amusing or provocative by saying usually the opposite of what is meant <made the ironic observation that the government could always be trusted>. [size=-1]SARDONIC [/size]implies scorn, mockery, or derision that is manifested by either verbal or facial expression <surveyed the scene with a sardonic smile>.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Paula said:

I think J.A.I. summed it up quite nicely when he said, "If the intent in your heart is evil, then that's what makes it sin."

The word sarcasm is from the Greek sarkasmos, meaning to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, Note that Webster's has two definitions for sarcasm:

1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

The second definition of satirical wit, especially when we use ironic language, is a lot different than cutting or biting rage, so I guess as long as we don't cut or give pain to someone, it wouldn't be sin.

Aren't satire and irony used as literary devices?

Sarcasm is mainly used in speech where we can use vocal inflections to deliver a sword to the heart of our listener. Indeed, since it is designed to cut or give pain, I cannot see the use of sarcasm except as sinful.

Upvote 0