Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I go to a First Baptist Church in TN and we are not very 'charismatic'.

I think the forum description should be changed. I don't know that many churches in our area that are charismatic. Not the Catholic ones or the non-denominational ones.

I go to all these with my friends and stuff.

The non-denom on is sort of, but not "TO THE EXTREME"...

Sub-topic: What makes a church charismatic?

AlabamaMan

A writer changing the world one word at a time.
Jan 7, 2003
Tijuana, Mexico
Visit site
✟45,139.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
But thats just it, we don't go by our own area, we have people here from all over the world and there are many people who are baptists, catholics, methodists, etc. who are charismatic.

Charismatics believe in the Gifts of the Spirit operating in the church. That's a short answer.

Upvote 0

Alice the Sister

optimize
Jun 30, 2003
seattle, washington
✟19,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
well duh, I wouldn't figure you'd be like, "UH OH TENNESSEE ISN'T CHARISMATIC LETS NOT INCLUDE ANY RELIGION IN TN BECAUSE>....."

I didn't think it'd be like that.

Why are black people more charismatic?

Upvote 0

AlabamaMan

A writer changing the world one word at a time.
Jan 7, 2003
Tijuana, Mexico
Visit site
✟45,139.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Golden Calf Disco said:
I think the forum description should be changed. I don't know that many churches in our area that are charismatic. Not the Catholic ones or the non-denominational ones.

This was why I posted my previous post, by this post you sounded like just because people in your area were not representative of the forum description that we should change it. Sorry if I misinterpreted it.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Golden Calf Disco said:

What should it be changed to?

What is "to the extreme"?

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Golden Calf Disco said:

What forum are you referring to? This forum labled "Charasmatics" or "Christian Forums"?

If it's the "charasmatic", well, there are plenty of other forums within Christian Forums where you may feel that you fit in better. This forum is specifically set up for those who are of "Charasmatic" persuasion and desire to discuss subject important to us without being harrassed by those who don't agree with our view.

If it's just the term Charasmatic. . .well. . .that merely includes ALL who believe the gifts of the Spirit are still actice today. I know many of non-charasmatic type denominations that believe this, including Baptists.

No one is excluded from fellowship in here. . . it is just not to include debating between those who do believe in the Charasmatic theology and those who do not.

Upvote 0
Just to maybe clear something up, and not to start a debate.....

There are many non-charasmatic denominations that believe the gifts of the Spirit are still not only in effect today, but are vitally important to the health of the body of Christ. The issue is not gifts in general, but what I refer to as the "sign gifts," which are basically tongues, healings, prophecies, and miracles. Those are the four that charasmatic and non-charasmatic Christians basically differ on.

Non of the four affect anyone's salvation, but depending on how you interpret them from scripture, it may affect you rate of growth or overall maturity level within the body of Christ.

Later bros

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Golden Calf Disco said:
I dunno, I just wondered what you meant by it when I've never seen any real examples of it.

I'm sorry if I'm having a blonde moment here but "real examples of what?"
mmesmile.gif

Upvote 0

superdave

are you super-natural?
May 14, 2002
West Texas
Visit site
✟1,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You may not realize this- but the Charismatic Movement is huge- especially in third world countries where thousands are coming to Christ each day. I think that this forums title is apporiate- We are Charismatic... that's our belief. Charismatics are in every religion- Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Penecostal, Non-Denominational...

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
HopeTheyDance said:
I believe in gifts of tongues and prophesy etc...however, DO NOT...I repeat, DO NOT, beleiev that ALL people need these gifts as a sign of baptism in the Holy Spirit. Yet, I post here...

I don't believe people "need" these gifts as a sign either. I do believe they are "a" sign, however, the main sign is the "fruit" of the Holy Spirit.

Being that the tongue is the most difficult member of the body to train (see James 3:4-6) I believe it extremely important that the Holy Spirit get a hold on it as quickly as possible. Even though one who speaks in tongues can still ignore the promptings of the Holy Spirit, one who speaks in tongues frequently does not accomplish it (ignoring the HS) very easily.
1poke.gif

As in the smiley example, the yellow smiley being the HS keeps poking until we respond as He directs. I can't say that those who don't speak in tongues don't feel this poking like those who do, but in comparison with those I know who do and those I know who don't there seems to be a more positive response from those who do.

Those who do, on a frequent basis, not just from time to time tend to grow and mature in the faith in leaps and bounds and are more frequently the overcomer rather than the overcome.

That's my experience with it anyway.

Upvote 0

Alice the Sister

optimize
Jun 30, 2003
seattle, washington
✟19,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mr. SuperDave. You said some stuff about third world countries. Is the charismatic movement just because they're third world.

Do you have to be poor to be charismatic? No wonder why nobody's charismatic in my area.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Quaffer said:
I don't believe people "need" these gifts as a sign either. I do believe they are "a" sign, however, the main sign is the "fruit" of the Holy Spirit.

Being that the tongue is the most difficult member of the body to train (see James 3:4-6) I believe it extremely important that the Holy Spirit get a hold on it as quickly as possible. Even though one who speaks in tongues can still ignore the promptings of the Holy Spirit, one who speaks in tongues frequently does not accomplish it (ignoring the HS) very easily.
1poke.gif

As in the smiley example, the yellow smiley being the HS keeps poking until we respond as He directs. I can't say that those who don't speak in tongues don't feel this poking like those who do, but in comparison with those I know who do and those I know who don't there seems to be a more positive response from those who do.

Those who do, on a frequent basis, not just from time to time tend to grow and mature in the faith in leaps and bounds and are more frequently the overcomer rather than the overcome.

That's my experience with it anyway.

That picture is so cute! :hug:

I was laughing at it for several minutes! :D

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Golden Calf Disco said:
Mr. SuperDave. You said some stuff about third world countries. Is the charismatic movement just because they're third world.

Do you have to be poor to be charismatic? No wonder why nobody's charismatic in my area.

The guy said third world countrys, where did he say anything about poor?

:scratch:

Upvote 0

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
no, you do not have to be poor to be charismatic. charismatic churches can be found in all denominations. some can be seen simply by people dancing and shouting and raising their hands in worship. some may be seen by members practicing different spiritual gifts. there are tons of different things you can see an example of. i go to a church of mostly college students (most of them are white middle to upper class) and it is pretty charismatic. i used to go to a southern baptist church that had several members who were very charismatic, some who weren't and people of every varrying degree in between.

as for the people speaking in tongues not ignoring the Holy Spirit as easily, and i know this is a tangent so i appologize ahead of time. you can pm me with a response if you would prefer to do so... i believe in the gifts you have mentioned. i do not have the gift of tounges. i know many who do and many who dont. just because they don't have the gift of tounges doesnt mean it is easier for them to ignore the Holy Spirit. there are many other gifts someone might have. and i think its kinda harsh to say if you lack certain gifts it is harder to respond to the Holy Spirit... don't you? perhaps i misunderstood your point. in which case, i would love to understand what you meant and would appreciate you clarifying it. either briefly here or in pm would be great. thanks.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Questions about the Charasmatic beliefs are welcome and debate is acceptable among those who are of Charasmatic persuasion. However, if you're wanting to criticize the Charasmatics for their beliefs, this is not the forum to do it in :)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Blanton911 said:
no, you do not have to be poor to be charismatic. charismatic churches can be found in all denominations. some can be seen simply by people dancing and shouting and raising their hands in worship. some may be seen by members practicing different spiritual gifts. there are tons of different things you can see an example of. i go to a church of mostly college students (most of them are white middle to upper class) and it is pretty charismatic. i used to go to a southern baptist church that had several members who were very charismatic, some who weren't and people of every varrying degree in between.

as for the people speaking in tongues not ignoring the Holy Spirit as easily, and i know this is a tangent so i appologize ahead of time. you can pm me with a response if you would prefer to do so... i believe in the gifts you have mentioned. i do not have the gift of tounges. i know many who do and many who dont. just because they don't have the gift of tounges doesnt mean it is easier for them to ignore the Holy Spirit. there are many other gifts someone might have. and i think its kinda harsh to say if you lack certain gifts it is harder to respond to the Holy Spirit... don't you? perhaps i misunderstood your point. in which case, i would love to understand what you meant and would appreciate you clarifying it. either briefly here or in pm would be great. thanks.

Quaffer said:

Please refer to this part of my statement again. I did not say it was easy for anyone to ignore the HS. Just in my experience of what I have seen in others there has been a greater positive response from those who do. . .on a frequent basis do, not just whenever the Holy Spirit comes upon them and they feel like it. There is a difference.

There is genarally less struggle with depression over issues the HS reveals. The spirit reveals the person repents and goes on with living for the Lord. With those who are not baptised and speaking in tongues in the HS I've seen more falling back and more depression over past sins. There are less illnesses. Less stress. Less of everything that is distructive. These are just my 40 plus years of observation. And we still cannot ignore that we are told that praying in this prayer language builds us up spiritually.

I don't believe people who don't speak in tongues are any less saved than those who do. Those who do are just taking full advantage of what God has given to them.

I believe and scripture very much supports that a prayer language is for every believer. It says this is for the building up of one's faith. Since God says He is not a respector of persons, it makes no sense that He would give one person something to build them up in their faith but withhold it from another.

The gift of tongues and interpretation are a different issue. Not everyone has that gift.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.