• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Living4Him03

Just wanna dance with you
Nov 16, 2003
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
✟18,965.00
Faith
Protestant
Well, I've struggled most of my life to try and be happy and to not feel over sensitive. But, I most often fail. I can be a fairly happy and positive person at times, but I struggle daily with sadness, loneliness, and self esteem issues. I've actually had thoughts about how I probably deserve to get cancer or some other illness. I feel guilt for so many things. I feel this great need for attention and affection.

I don't know if I have depression or bipolar disorder, but I think the symptoms I've been having for the past few years or so are consistent with those of these disorders. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in high school. I've been told that bipolar is often mistaken for ADHD or vice versa, or can co-occur with ADHD. I have always have the chemical imbalance type problems like staying on task, sitting still, fidgeting, forgetfulness, etc. I also have periods of time where I talk excessively and believe I can conquer the world basically.

I'm wondering if I need to get evaluated for depression, bipolar, or some type of anxiety disorder. I really want help and I would like to feel like me for once. I currently do not have health insurance and so if I get evaluated it has to be through the school clinic. How expensive are meds for depression/bipolar? Does anyone know of free treatment options or clinics that will assess you for free or pay for part of the meds? I really want help but I am broke! I live in Texas. Thanks.

Reactions: Godlovesusall

bnkessler

Jul 7, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟274.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, you should definately go talk to your doctor, or A doctor. You should have a free clinic in your area. Also, I'd recommend going to your school counselling center and start talking to someone about all of your feelings and such. If you're attending school full-time, it should be free. My depression meds are super cheap. Barely $5 for a bottle of like 100 or so pills. But I also have insurance. You'll have to talk to the people at the school clinic to find out how much it would cost you without insurance. But do please try and go to your doctor. Knowing what you have, will help you treat your problem and you will be able to feel better about yourself. Goodluck with it.
Love, Briana

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Alright, I suggest a great book about God's love and some self-esteem and need to attention, affection issues. It made me cry (I'm still not sure why) reading the first chapter, and it is really honest and it just wow...oh the book's name..."Abba's Child" by Brennan Manning...it is awesome.

And really, see a counselor and/or get on some meds...it could really help...try writing also.

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
Dear Friend,

First ot all, are you taking care of your health? A lot of things can effect brain chemistry, including sugar consumption. Are you eating 3 square meals a day and keeping your sugar consumption low? That can do a lot of good. Stay hydrated and get exercise; it really is very important.

Secondly, look for patterns in your depression and your thoughts. Keep a journal; is there any pattern to times or circumstances that surround your depression?

Lastly, the depression and self-esteem issues are probably linked. You can actually choose which thoughts you think, and those thoughts will effect you more than you know. In telling yourself you deserve cancer, who wouldn't be depressed after that? Instead, it may help to talk out your problems. Maybe you feel criticized frequently.

The truth is, you're the only you that will ever exist. You are unique, and you are priceless.

Blessings,
Whitehorse

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.