What is your philosophy on telling teens how to dress?

MandyJK

Nov 10, 2019
Michigan
✟7,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a believer in letting kids decide how to dress, but I'm having a strange issue with my daughter (the opposite of what you expect!). My daughter LOVES wearing this full suit every day to school. She is a teenager. She thinks it's "cool". Should I gently encourage her to dress a bit lighter or let her decide how she dresses?

https://i.imgur.com/pkFKVum.jpg

I'm not a worrywart parent, and I ask her politely if she is comfortable, and she just say she likes it and that's that. The weather is cold these days, but one day last week it went up to almost 50F and she still wore it. That's what inspired me to ask other parents some advice. What should I do?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm a believer in letting kids decide how to dress, but I'm having a strange issue with my daughter (the opposite of what you expect!). My daughter LOVES wearing this full suit every day to school. She is a teenager. She thinks it's "cool". Should I gently encourage her to dress a bit lighter or let her decide how she dresses?

I'm not a worrywart parent, and I ask her politely if she is comfortable, and she just say she likes it and that's that. The weather is cold these days, but one day last week it went up to almost 50F and she still wore it. That's what inspired me to ask other parents some advice. What should I do?

If her choice of dress is not over revealing or somehow offensive ... I wouldn't worry about it. You might ask her if she would like to get another one or two in a different color or style, "lighter fabric" ;o)

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟340,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
By the time kids are teens, I leave their choice of dress up to them, on the grounds that it's their body. The only exceptions I can think of are if it violates a dress code or if it hurts someone else (e.g., a t-shirt with a racist slur). I don't see either of these factors in the picture.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I was still teaching a new principal was telling me that in a previous school he was VP when they instituted a dress code. He said that the students were incredibly creative in their revolt. An example--- one day the entire school showed up in perfect compliance with the code but every single one of them had untied laces on their left shoe. It went on from there.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Telling a teen anything is unlikely to produce more than rebellion. Don't wrap them in cotton wool, but (if you can) keep them from really destructive behaviours. Let them know why you think an outfit is unacceptable. I wish more parents would draw a line. But up to that point, let them work it out themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: ChocoRabbit
Upvote 0

MandyJK

Nov 10, 2019
Michigan
✟7,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If her choice of dress is not over revealing or somehow offensive ... I wouldn't worry about it. You might ask her if she would like to get another one or two in a different color or style, "lighter fabric" ;o)
Thanks! It's not revealing or offensive at all, it's just really overdoing it! And maybe a bit immature for her age? Maybe I'm worrying about this too much and just let teens be teens?

Upvote 0

MandyJK

Nov 10, 2019
Michigan
✟7,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does she seem okay in herself? Normal? My only worry would be if she is covering herself up because something happened and she is hiding in which case wearing it for some psychological reason to feel safe.
There may be some psychological reason, but as far as hiding something, I don't think so, she doesn't wear it around the house or anything...! Do you think this is something serious?

Upvote 0

MandyJK

Nov 10, 2019
Michigan
✟7,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the time kids are teens, I leave their choice of dress up to them, on the grounds that it's their body. The only exceptions I can think of are if it violates a dress code or if it hurts someone else (e.g., a t-shirt with a racist slur). I don't see either of these factors in the picture.
Yep you are right, it's not violating any dress code or offensive in any way, it's just quite unusual for someone her age. Would you just let her wear it and let teens be teens?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks! It's not revealing or offensive at all, it's just really overdoing it! And maybe a bit immature for her age? Maybe I'm worrying about this too much and just let teens be teens?

Teen years is the most confusing time of life ... for the teen and the parents as well ;o) ... been there ... done that LOL Am sure she'll "grow out of it".

• Friendly
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟158,062.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There may be some psychological reason, but as far as hiding something, I don't think so, she doesn't wear it around the house or anything...! Do you think this is something serious?

Sorry to alarm you, I have a teenage daughter myself, but my first thought was if something happened at school, perhaps boys sexually harassing her pushed her to cover up. If she doesn't wear it around the house it wouldn't be to hide anything from you. Or as she said it may be that she thinks it's cool right now.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Ask her. If it is simply "I like it" and your mom gut believes that is the reason, then she likely does it to stand out and be unique if no one else dresses the same way. My daughter wore a lot of "unique" combinations when she was a teen and as I sat through all the club/sports banquets, people always commented that they loved her confidence and positive energy. It was just her artsy personality shining through.

If you still don't know if you believe her, then it is time to spend more time with your daughter building your relationship to the point you know her a bit better and so that she trusts that she can tell you her secrets without fear of judgement or losing your love.

I am guessing that she is just wants to be seen as "serious and professional". My daughter is normally very bubbly and laid back but she loves her one formal suit and likes finding opportunities to wear it. Right now, it is for graded presentations in college. She also uses both her nickname for most situations but has decided that her formal first name is her "figure skating name" and loves to hear it announced before she skates out to compete.

Good luck. :)

Oh...I used to call her my rainbow unicorn when she was playing softball in high school. In spite of offering to buy her things like her protective pitching mask and sliding pads to match her uniform colors, she would wear pieces of old uniforms. Her team colors were blue, black and white/silver...but her facemask was red (the new blue one and the silver one were ignored) and her sliding pads were something like green and she never grabbed a head band in the team colors. I had to let go of my personal preference that she color coordinate and just let her be herself. (Her bat was neon orange to top it off.)

Upvote 0