What I love about the Salvation Army

meowmix

The Talking Cat
Jan 15, 2006
Lurking in the fields of Central Illinois..
✟38,095.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's music, gospel, performing arts--
Opportunities you normally wouldn't get in life..
Summer camps(That only cost $20 if you are a member of the church ;) ), large and breathtaking events, great food(wink), Friendliness of others~
You get to show off your uniform and look like a pilot(Hahaha, this is a common joke.)
The Salvation Army world is VERY small-- If you move away from your friends(Who also attend the Salvation Army..), You most likely WILL see them again. I know from experience .
You can easily volunteer to help the needy.
You learn many things; Brass band music, choir/singing/harmonizing, dance/hula/devotion in motion/timbrels---
You begin to love the ministry that you do, and love The Salvation Army as a whole.
If your in the ministries you travel a lot, and get to experience new things..
You get to tell people that the Salvation Army is NOT a thrift store or an actual army-- but a church. :D
Lot's of laughter and joking around...
You feel like a large family-- with members all around the world.

THESE are what I love about the Salvation Army from my own experiences~ <3

OH, also... Most of the churches have great choir and band that plays during church(As well as Praise and worship songs)
And even though this video doesn't have the greatest sound quality-- Imagine the song being much much louder that surrounds you completely . It makes you love being alive..
Pasadena Tab Songsters Sing Psalm 24 - YouTube

hwyangel

Mar 25, 2012
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was homeless for a long time and stayed in a few of their shelters around the country. Though never for very long. The salvation army ("the sally" to the street people) is literally a life saver. I think they could do better in choosing their management positions, I still have nightmares about that, but I won't air anyones laundry here. They do more good than harm.

Upvote 0
T

ThisTime

I used to attend the SA as a visitor. I loved the services and everything else. I even wanted to become a Soldier but I started to have to work weekends and my busy life got the better of me. I went last Sunday and I felt like I had come home, even though I was by myself and I didn't know anyone. I have never once stopped wanted to serve Jesus as a Soldier. Does this seem weird????

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I worked for two different Salvation Army shelters. The first one was amazing. They loved the people they served. It showed, and lives were changed because of it. When I was working the overnight, it wasn't anything for me to see the Captain in the kitchen getting coffee and starting his day at 4:30 or 5:00 am. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking ALL Salvation Armies were like that - even though my boss told me we were probably one of the most liberal shelters in the state.

Then, I went and worked at another shelter, and it was completely different. The attitude was, "We help the scum because we're the Salvation Army and we're supposed to." It was very disheartening.

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The most wonderful aspect of the SA, as I see it, is the leaders' willingness to share to all people the Good News with a love that comes only from the Lord Himself.

One of the songs we used to sing when I was a boy, and a member of the Rochester Salvation Army in Rochester, PA, was this one:

I'm in the Lord's army
I'm in the Lord's army
I may never march in the infantry
Ride in the calvary
Shoot the artillery
And I may never zoom over Germany
But I'm in the Lord's army

It was a wonderful way to spend a Sunday morning, to be taught to view ourselves as soldiers in the war for the souls of men and women. While we enjoyed building planes and other crafts, a children's minister would speak to us about the things of God.

More truth than I realized sunk in, and when I was in deep trouble in my late teens, I knew Who to call out to and get right with. It was a marvelous restoration, one that I owe to the Salvation Army for instilling in me the fear of God.

Thank you for being faithful to do the work of the Lord and, with patience, getting through to some of the most hard hearted men and women.

Upvote 0
J

JoshuaCh1v9

I used to attend the SA as a visitor. I loved the services and everything else. I even wanted to become a Soldier but I started to have to work weekends and my busy life got the better of me. I went last Sunday and I felt like I had come home, even though I was by myself and I didn't know anyone. I have never once stopped wanted to serve Jesus as a Soldier. Does this seem weird????

Not at all. I can very much relate to most of what you said.

I was raised in the Army. I was a soldier, a bandsman, a Songster, even a candidate for officership at one point, but drifted away when I hit my late teens. Over the years I tried several different churches. All of them good. All sound teaching, but they were never home.

Then I went back to the Army, to a new Corps in a new town. As soon as I walked in I knew I had come home. I am now back in uniform and once more serving God as a soldier of The Salvation Army.

Theres a wonderful Army chorus that simply says

Just where He needs me, my Lord has placed me
Just where He needs me, there would I be.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums