Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I think this was something that surprised me about having children...that I would learn so much from them!

There are so many things it is hard to pick just one.

One thing that I have learned from my children by seeing the world through their eyes is that life is a joy! Everything including a trip to the grocery store is so much fun and such an adventure for my six year old daughter. She has shown me how to have fun. :)

I had to edit this, because I forgot the most important one...Patience!

What have you learned from your children?

carmen

Aug 25, 2002
n.z
Visit site
✟1,462.00
Yes patience and joy Blynn also they are so very good at copying the good and bad in us. Kind of gets your sins placed straight in your face.

But most of all it has taught me how our children naturally take after us.
They have helped me have a greater understanding of how we are created in the image of our Heavenly Father. And how once we know him through his word . how natural it is to follow his example.

Upvote 0
My children have taught me that the old saying "what goes around comes around", is soooo true. I never understood all of what my parents tried to teach me. I was always so smart I thought at 15, and my parents seemed so ridiculous at the time. Now I am able to understand alot about my mom and appreciate her for the saint she is. My children have taught me alot about my own self, for sure. They have also taught me to realize the importance of even the smallest of things happening in their lives. Things that may seem minute to me mean alot to them. I have learned that they are sensitive to what comes out of my mouth, whether I think it is a big thing or not. If something I say causes them hurt feelings I have learned to do what is right and apologize. They have taught me that there is no such thing as being a perfect parent.

Upvote 0
My son taught me that children are people with a lack of experience, that they are tough and resourceful, and that given a challenge they are extremely intuitive and creative. He taught me that we understimate their intellect and overestimate their need for us. He taught me that as "cute" as their observations and actions seem, to them it's all deadly serious and to treat them with respect and dignity.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2002
Canada
✟42,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wrote this once, and I'll try to remember all of it. I forgot some so I came up with a couple to fill in.

10 Things My Toddler Has Taught Me

1. A good vacuum cleaner CAN remove hair forcefully from a head.
2. Those little LEGO one-blocks eventually come out in the diaper, but by that time you really don't want it.
3. Soak bloodstains in cold water before they set.
4. "oops!" is usually too late.
5. Washable crayon makes very interesting colours in the diaper.
6. Never ask "Are you bleeding?" when they cry, it might backfire.
7. Clipping fingernails really DOES hurt.
8. A standard vacuum bag holds the entire contents of a Family Size box of Cheerios.
9. Deceased fish don't always go down the first time, or the second.
10. The Poison Control Center keeps very good records.

I have also learned that "Mom, patience takes too long," when it hails, it's "raining ice cubes!", and when a child prays "Jesus, please make the storm be over", He does, immediately!

My favourite one my daughter said was one day just shortly after she had toilet trained. We were taking a walk and she was wearing her new big-girl cotton pants. She started to sing, "My feet are walkin', my hands are walkin', my knees are walkin'."
I asked her "Is your head walking?" Yes, she said.
"Are your elbows walking?" Yes, again.
"Is your bottom walking?" No, she said promptly. A little surprised I asked, "What is your bottom doing?"

"Wigglin'."

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Jn207:

Oh, PRICELESS on the wiggling bottom!

I've made it a major rule in life to NEVER ask a kid "why." I've been trying for years to get my husband to remove that word from his vocabulary.

Think about it: if you have reached a situation where you NEED to ask a kid "why," then chances are, you are PO'ed to the max. And let's be honest, folks: there is absolutely NO ANSWER the kid can give you which will satisfy you. In fact, NO MATTER WHAT THE KID SAYS, you are going to be upset. Trust me!

Save your lungs, save your vocal cords, save whatever is left of your sanity, and NEVER ASK A KID, "WHY."

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
LOL

Enjoying reading these ... very interesting comments.

My children have taught me to "lighten up" and not be so serious. :)

If it weren't for them I'd probably have my head buried in a hole somewhere.

(I am a Mom to ... Mandy, 23 ... Suzy, 19 ... Joey, 15 ... and Donovan 5 - who started Kindergarten today ... and one in heaven name Heather).

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by VOW
To Jn207:

Oh, PRICELESS on the wiggling bottom!

I've made it a major rule in life to NEVER ask a kid "why." I've been trying for years to get my husband to remove that word from his vocabulary.

Think about it: if you have reached a situation where you NEED to ask a kid "why," then chances are, you are PO'ed to the max. And let's be honest, folks: there is absolutely NO ANSWER the kid can give you which will satisfy you. In fact, NO MATTER WHAT THE KID SAYS, you are going to be upset. Trust me!

Save your lungs, save your vocal cords, save whatever is left of your sanity, and NEVER ASK A KID, "WHY."

Peace be with you,
~VOW

It must be a guy thing.  I, though I know it's fruitless, regularly ask my children "why" they would do something they have been told numerous times not to do.  I guess part of it is my own desire for them to have an excuse.  But you are 100% right, "why" is a word that should be removed from our vocabulary when talking to our children.

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hey Ref:

Maybe asking a kid "why" is one of those "Y" chromosome things. All I know is, the very WORST answer from a kid (and the one that makes my husband go ballistic!) is, "I don't know."

After our first child was born, my brother-in-law informed us that two invisible children would come to live in our house.

One is named, "I don't know."

The other one is, "Not me."

He was absolutely right.

Peace,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Hojo Hominygrits

Now with 25% more hominy!
Jun 28, 2002
Mesa, AZ
Visit site
✟498.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I agree with Kristen. My daughter is 7 mos old and this is our first. Holy cow what a change in my life! It's very difficult sometimes. I was not a very patient person before so I'm a bit shell shocked even still.

When I come home from work, I watch the baby for the first half of the day while my wife is at work. And I'll be honest, she drives me crazy sometimes!!! :cry:

Then, after she drives me up the wall, she crawls up to me and gives me the biggest most pure smile I've ever seen.

That little smile is all the stress relief I ever need. :)

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Hojo:

As a parent, you'll find that children are the most aggravating, exasperating, frustrating, EXPENSIVE things on this planet.

But the hugs, the snuggles, the sloppy kisses, and the "I love yous" make it all worthwhile.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums