Wels

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Real Presence

WELS members say hello! What made you decide to join the WELS?

I was raised in the WELS and went to a WELS grade school and everything. I then went to my father's ELCA church after 8th grade graduation where I stayed until about 3 months ago and then went to the LCMS because I had some SERIOUS issues with the ELCA and the liberal thinking that occurs there. I have been very happy there, but I can't help but notice that they are becoming pretty liberal themselves slowly but surely. I think they are "selling out" in a way, but that is just my opinion. I am seriously considering joining the WELS again, if they will have me. I have prayed and prayed and prayed and I think this is the right thing for me to do. :prayer: If anyone can offer any advice or help, I would greatly appreciate!

God Bless,
James

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Real Presence said:
WELS members say hello! What made you decide to join the WELS?

I was raised in the WELS and went to a WELS grade school and everything. I then went to my father's ELCA church after 8th grade graduation where I stayed until about 3 months ago and then went to the LCMS because I had some SERIOUS issues with the ELCA and the liberal thinking that occurs there. I have been very happy there, but I can't help but notice that they are becoming pretty liberal themselves slowly but surely. I think they are "selling out" in a way, but that is just my opinion. I am seriously considering joining the WELS again, if they will have me. I have prayed and prayed and prayed and I think this is the right thing for me to do. :prayer: If anyone can offer any advice or help, I would greatly appreciate!

God Bless,
James

The LCMS is selling out? :scratch: How dare they do that? :mad:

Just when you thought it was safe to mention your synod affiliation out loud.

Hey James,

There are still a few good LCMS churches out there. Keep looking, but the WELS and even the ELS are good synods as well. Just ask Rechtglaubig.

;)

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I wish there were more female WELS members on here. I would love to hear their take on the more severe restrictions on women.

I respect the restrictions, but I would rather hear a woman say that she is ok with it, instead of a man saying that it's the way it has to be.

Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi James. I am from a WELS Church in the little town of Riga Mich. We have about 200 members and average attendance of 100. I started going there at the invitation of a man that man my Dad worked with when I was 8 years old, and that was almost 50 years ago. We have been bless every time we recieve a new Pastor and The Word of God is taught fully and completely.

I don't want to knock anyones church as I have heard some comments about "our so called restrictions" and how we don't associate with others. I don't think that is necessarily true as we activly do mission work and we welcome everyone who comes thru the door. We call sin "sin" and we all admitt that we are sinners and have fallen short of God's Will.

If it is the comfort of knowing that your church won't be changing with the world that you are looking for I don't think you could go wrong with WELS or ELS.

Here is a link to my churches web site www.stjohnsriga.org but I'm not sure it is up, we have been having server problems. :wave:

As Scott said, there are still some good LCMS churches out there, but I will say that our local one which my brother in law belongs to isn't one of them.

Upvote 0
R

Real Presence

Jim47 said:
Hi James. I am from a WELS Church in the little town of Riga Mich. We have about 200 members and average attendance of 100. I started going there at the invitation of a man that man my Dad worked with when I was 8 years old, and that was almost 50 years ago. We have been bless every time we recieve a new Pastor and The Word of God is taught fully and completely.

I don't want to knock anyones church as I have heard some comments about "our so called restrictions" and how we don't associate with others. I don't think that is necessarily true as we activly do mission work and we welcome everyone who comes thru the door. We call sin "sin" and we all admitt that we are sinners and have fallen short of God's Will.

If it is the comfort of knowing that your church won't be changing with the world that you are looking for I don't think you could go wrong with WELS or ELS.

Here is a link to my churches web site www.stjohnsriga.org but I'm not sure it is up, we have been having server problems. :wave:

As Scott said, there are still some good LCMS churches out there, but I will say that our local one which my brother in law belongs to isn't one of them.

Thank you for your post! I live in Michigan also, although I have never heard of Riga. Where exactly is this located? The WELS church I was raised in is in Livonia (suburb of Detroit) and was only slightly larger than your church.

I must say that I completely agree with what you say about the WELS church not changing due to the pressures of the world and not conforming to the often sinful whims of man. This is most definitely one of the main things I am looking for, which seems to be lacking in most churches of other synods and denominations. You are correct in stating that there are many good LCMS churches around, but things vary from congregation to congregation. I enjoy the stability and the peace of mind knowing that when I step in the doors of a WELS church, no matter here in Michigan or in California, that I am getting a church centered on Jesus, the Bible, and that practices true and historic Lutheranism.

I have definitely decided that I am going to join the WELS. I feel rather ashamed that I left in the first place, but I am glad to know that if I ever veer off the path, God will set me straight and get me on the right track in my life.

Thanks again and God Bless!
James

Upvote 0

stlsweeti

Nov 29, 2004
Missouri
✟321.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Flipper said:
I wish there were more female WELS members on here. I would love to hear their take on the more severe restrictions on women.

I respect the restrictions, but I would rather hear a woman say that she is ok with it, instead of a man saying that it's the way it has to be.

Delurking for a moment to say I agree with you Flipper. I would like to hear from a woman as well. I live in St.Louis and there is a WELS church not too far from where I live. I've always wanted to attend a service, but I'm not sure how welcomed I would be without my husband. He doesn't attend church.

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Real Presence said:
Thank you for your post! I live in Michigan also, although I have never heard of Riga. Where exactly is this located? The WELS church I was raised in is in Livonia (suburb of Detroit) and was only slightly larger than your church.

I must say that I completely agree with what you say about the WELS church not changing due to the pressures of the world and not conforming to the often sinful whims of man. This is most definitely one of the main things I am looking for, which seems to be lacking in most churches of other synods and denominations. You are correct in stating that there are many good LCMS churches around, but things vary from congregation to congregation. I enjoy the stability and the peace of mind knowing that when I step in the doors of a WELS church, no matter here in Michigan or in California, that I am getting a church centered on Jesus, the Bible, and that practices true and historic Lutheranism.

I have definitely decided that I am going to join the WELS. I feel rather ashamed that I left in the first place, but I am glad to know that if I ever veer off the path, God will set me straight and get me on the right track in my life.

James

Only one way to find out. Go and see how they receive you as a guest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Real Presence said:

James

Hi James

Riga is a very tiny village near Blissfield, we are about 10 miles from the Ohio border in Lenawee County. If that link from my churchs web site come back up, I believe there is a map on it.

WELS Synod also has a very nice web site, full of useful stuff for everyone. If you click on the "site map" in the upper right hand corner, you will be able to find your way around fairly easily. There is also a church locater on there that will tell you all the WELS churches in your area. I know there is one in Plymouth which I don't think is too far away from you. I forget exactly where Livonia is? I'll be gone for a few days over the weekend, but if I can be of help to you in any way please feel free to PM me or e-mail me.

Have a great weekend all. :wave:

http://www.wels.net/cgi-bin/site.pl?

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟29,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lutherrunner said:
hey Jim47......I see that Riga is very close to the Temperance and Lambertville area.....we used to visit some cousins there when I was a kid....I grew up in Freeland, near Saginaw......

I was born in Midland. My parents say they would occassionally go to Saginaw. I don't really remember this, as we moved to Louisiana when I was 5!

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.