Was the ‘mystery’ of the Body of Christ known before Acts 28?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Yes, for in Romans 16:25-7 Paul makes the plain statement that throughout the years his preaching had been in accordance with the revelation of the mystery. 1 Corinthians 12 is a detailed revelation of the mystery of the relationships of the Body of Christ and was written prior to the Roman imprisonment. Therefore we can safely conclude that the mystery of the Body church was clearly revealed, known, and proclaimed before Acts 28.

Biblical references:
Rom 16:25-27 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

1Cor 12:12-14 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many.

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Breetai said:
I'm saying that the OT saints knew about the mystery, but they didn't know exactly what it was. It was not reavealed until Christ. So technically it wasn't known, they only knew that it would be known.
Rom 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

Col 1:26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

Eph 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Eph 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Hopefully you can see from the above that the mystery of the church was not revealled until Paul.

Upvote 0

@@Paul@@

The Key that Fits:Acts 28
Mar 24, 2004
Seattle
✟11,081.00
Faith
Baptist
The fact that a calling would comprise Jew/Gentile was a mystery hidden in scripture AND the symbolism of the feasts given to Isreal...
Act 26:22-23 KJV
(22) Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
(23) That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.​

That is all that was going in during the Acts....

Rom 1:1-2 KJV
(1) Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
(2) (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)​
There is a big difference with a secret which is "kept secret since the world began, wich was promised before BY the Holy scriptures" AND with a secret that was "Hid in God".

The Body of Christ during the acts period was a calling which was dependant on Israel... Gentiles were in second place (as it relates to calling) > the mystery at this point was that Gentiles were brought in prior to the nation repenting...

The Body of Christ after Acts was Gentile/Jew... ;) This revelation had nothing to do with an earthly calling to an earthly kingdom...

:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

agenes

Rom 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

Col 1:26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

Eph 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Eph 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Where is the mystery heretofore mentioned the Church?

Upvote 0

Terral

Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
✟21,357.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Av1611:

Av1611 asks >> Was the ‘mystery’ of the Body of Christ known before Acts 28?

Av1611 answers >> Yes, for in Romans 16:25-7 Paul makes the plain statement that throughout the years his preaching had been in accordance with the revelation of the mystery. 1 Corinthians 12 is a detailed revelation of the mystery of the relationships of the Body of Christ and was written prior to the Roman imprisonment. Therefore we can safely conclude that the mystery of the Body church was clearly revealed, known, and proclaimed before Acts 28.

In Romans 16:25-27, Paul is specifically talking about what he calls

“my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret for long ages past, but now is manifested . . .” Rom. 16:25+26a.

So your answer below does not fit the question above. Perhaps your question should read:

Hypothetical >> Was the ‘gospel according to the revelation of the mystery’ known before Acts 28?

The answer to that question would be “Yes,” and followed up with your Romans 16 quote. When Paul says ‘my gospel’ (see also Rom. 2:16, 2Tim. 2:8), he is talking about his ‘Jesus Christ and Him crucified’ (1Cor. 2:2) good news message. You will note that this last verse of Scripture you quoted leads Paul into his “God’s wisdom in a Mystery,” dissertation. This is the same ‘gospel’ that Paul received, “through a revelation of Jesus Christ.” Gal. 1:11+12 (12). And, this is the same gospel that Christ sent Paul down to submit (Gal. 2:2) to Peter, John and James (Gal. 2:6-14) “because of a revelation” (Gal. 2:2). Paul’s gospel is to be contrasted with the ‘gospel of the kingdom’ (Matt. 4:17 (23), 9:35, 24:14, Acts 8:12). After all, Paul’s gospel includes the precept of blood for forgiveness (Eph. 1:7, Col. 1:20) while the gospel of the kingdom includes the precept of water for forgiveness (Mark 1:4, Acts 2:38). That explains how Peter and the others had sins forgiven before Calvary.

Note that Christ came in both water and in blood. 1John 5:6-8. Also note carefully Paul’s words concerning the ‘gospel of the grace of God’ (Acts 20:24) versus “preaching the kingdom” (Acts 20:25); because Paul preached both of those good news messages. Peter and Paul sat on opposite sides of the table at the famous meeting in Jerusalem (Acts 15, Gal. 2), because Paul’s gospel was not yet known to the Kingdom Apostles. And that is why Peter was condemned for being wrong about the ‘truth of the gospel.’ Gal. 2:14. From this perspective, let us consider your question again:

Av1611 asks >> Was the ‘mystery’ of the Body of Christ known before Acts 28?

We must agree on dates to accurately determine the right answer to this question. Did Paul really give a detailed revelation of the mystery of the body of Christ to these fleshy Corinthians (1Cor. 3:1-3), or are we reading that into his words? Here is what I am getting at: In Paul’s Prison Epistle to the Colossians, he writes,

“Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with {an attitude of} thanksgiving; praying at the same time for us as well, that God will open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned.” Col. 4:2+3.

In the same letter, Paul does accurately describe the mystery and the church as His body, saying,

“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions. Of {this church} I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God [same as Eph. 3:2] bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the {preaching of} the word of God, {that is,} the mystery which has been hidden from the {past} ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints, to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” Col. 1:24-27.

Here we see examples of where Paul appears to recount his testimony to the Romans (16:25-27), and to the Corinthians (1Cor. 12:12-14, 27). If you will compare the original manuscripts, you will find that many do not contain those final words of Romans 16. They appear to have been added later; accurately describing the facts, but added after Acts 28:28. Paul also did indeed describe the believer’s baptism by the ‘One Spirit,’ into the ‘one body’ (1Cor. 12:13) in his first letter to the Corinthians. However, the fact that this was in any way tied to the ‘mystery of Christ’ was not included. Thus, the word ‘mystery’ is used only in 1Cor. 2 and 15. Our information pertaining to the mystery of Christ, and the church being His body, is restricted to the Prison Epistles. That is why Paul asked the believers to pray that,

“God will open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ . . .” Col. 4:2+3.

After all, if the door had already been opened, then Paul’s words here are quite redundant. Therefore, I believe the accurate answer to your question above is definitely “No.”

God bless,

Terral

Upvote 0

@@Paul@@

Mar 24, 2004
Seattle
✟11,081.00
Faith
Baptist
AV1611 said:
What I find strange is how brethren can hold to the notion that the church started post-Acts 28 because the revelation of the 'mystery' was not revealled prior to it...however scripture shews that it was.
This would be assuming there is only ONE mystery. ;)
Eph 3:3-7 KJV
(3) How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
(4) Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
(5) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
(6) That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
(7) Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.​

I find it strange some people hold to the FULL revelation of a pre-Acts 28 calling apart from the nation of Israel when scripture clearly says otherwise.... "as is NOW" revealed.

:)

Upvote 0
A

agenes

1 For this cause I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles, 2 if you have heard of the stewardship God’s grace that was given to me for you, 3 that according to revelation the mystery was made known to me as I previously wrote briefly, 4 which considering you are able while reading to perceive my understanding in the mystery of Christ, 5 which in other generations was not made known to the sons of men, as it now has been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit, 6 to be specific, the Gentiles are fellow-heirs and fellow-body members and fellow-partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel, 7 of which I was made a minister according to the gift of the grace of God that was given to me according to the energizing of His power. 8 To me the lesser of all the saints this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to enlighten all men regarding the stewardship of the mystery that has been hidden from the ages in God who created all things, 10 that it might be made known now to the rulers and to the authorities in the heavenlies through the church the manifold wisdom of God, 11 according to the eternal purpose which He made in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12 in whom we have the boldness and access in confidence through His faithfulness.

Before it is objected that we Covenantalists do not see any particularity in the Apostleship of Paul unto the Gentiles: let it be made clear once for all time, that we affirm and teach that Paul was called to take the Gospel to the Gentiles, that this is a distinct calling. But let it also be made clear, we are not saying that he had any monopoly on what Dispensationalists call the “mystery”; neither are we saying that he took a wholly distinct Gospel to the Gentiles, one that would be wholly divergent from what was preached unto the world before the conversion of Saul of Tarsus. This issue will be developed and addressed more in the subsequent commentary.

For this cause – Whenever I see this phrase, I ask “For what cause?”

You are no longer strangers and aliens –
• You are fellow citizens with the saints
• Of God's household
• Having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets
• Christ Jesus Himself being the Corner Stone
• In whom the whole building being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord
• In whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit

For this cause {that} 1) you are fellow citizens with the saints, 2) you are of God's household, 3) you have been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the Corner Stone, 5) In whom the whole building being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 6) In whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit – for this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles-- if indeed you have heard of the stewardship of God's grace which was given to me for you; that by revelation there was made known to me the mystery, as I wrote before in brief. By referring to this, when you read you can understand my insight into the mystery of Christ.

It is important that we grasp the significance of the phrase “For this cause {for this reason}.” Let’s say that I am writing to you concerning some important truth, and I briefly describe it, and then I say “For this cause, or for this reason, or because of which.” What did I intend to communicate in saying that particular phrase? That what I had said previously has no bearing on what I am going to say, or did I intend you to understand that for this reason, because of what preceded, that a=b and b=c then a=c? I hope you answered in this manner, “I had intended you to understand that for this reason, because of what preceded, that a=b and b=c then a=c.”

Let us fill in the equation, so that we really grasp what I am trying to communicate here. A=B and B=C then A=C. We will substitute [the mystery of Christ] for C. We will substitute [the grafting in of the nations (Gentiles, heathen) into the body] for A. We will substitute [which in other generations was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit] for B.

A=B and B=C then A=C

The grafting in of the nations (Gentiles, heathen) into the body = was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed and as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit = the mystery of Christ, then the grafting in of the nations (Gentiles, heathen) into the body = the mystery of Christ.

Was not made known to the sons of men AS it has now been revealed – It is not as though this mystery was not made known to the sons of men in the past, but what is being said here is that it was not made known as it has now been revealed. Again, going back to the solution of the problem, what is the mystery of Christ? The grafting in of the nations (Gentiles, heathen) into the body = the mystery of Christ. Notice again, the mystery is not an unforeseen Church, but the inclusion of the Gentiles as the normative into that Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
A

agenes

Let me give you an example that all of us can understand. In 1957 the Internet was in existence. Some had knowledge of it, and used it everyday. While the people that had knowledge of the Internet did not know the ultimate implications of it, they knew the fundamentals; they knew what was necessary to make it work, and to communicate with others. It was a mystery to the rest of us until 1991. It is not as though it was not made known to those in the Military, but it was not made known in 1957 as it was revealed in 1991. Everyone now had access to the Internet, while before only a select few had access. Those who had knowledge of the Internet are likened to the Prophets and the redeemed of the Old Covenant, but it was not made known as it is now. The entirety of those who were informed of the Internet in 1991 are likened to the Apostles and Prophets of the New Testament. It was revealed, but veiled to the sons of men in the Old, like the Internet was in 1957, but it was revealed, but not fully, to the elect in the Old Testament. The phrase “sons of men” is usually a reference to the unregenerate in the Scriptures. As it is revealed now, we have the full understanding, but they back in 1957 (Old Testament) had a fundamental understanding.

As it is revealed now, does not mean we have different light than those in the Old Testament had, we simply have more of the same light. We must keep in mind, that the Holy Spirit cannot contradict Himself as He moved the men of God to write the Inspired God Breathed Word. The same Holy Spirit, who moved in Isaiah and Moses, is the same Holy Spirit that moved in Paul and Peter to write what they wrote. When the Scriptures are viewed as a unified whole concerning a given subject of theology, they speak as one mighty voice, not as incongruous, diametrically opposed ideas, competing with each other for the stamp of approval.

Keeping this in mind, we turn to the words of Isaiah:

Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD has risen upon you. For behold, darkness will cover the earth And deep darkness the peoples; But the LORD will rise upon you And His glory will appear upon you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your rising (Isaiah 60:1-3).

The normative Dispensational interpretation of the phrase “your light” as referring to National-Ethnic Israel in the yet future Millennial Reign, but is this the intended meaning of Isaiah?

The glory of the Lord has risen upon you – this is the crucial phrase. The phrase “glory of the Lord’ is found in these passages (Exo 16:7; Exo 16:10; Exo 24:16; Exo 24:17; Exo 40:34; Exo 40:35; Lev 9:6; Lev 9:23; Num 14:10; Num 14:21; Num 16:19; Num 16:42; Num 20:6; 1Ki 8:11; 2Ch 5:14; 2Ch 7:1; 2Ch 7:2; 2Ch 7:3; Psa 104:31; Psa 138:5; Isa 35:2; Isa 40:5; Isa 58:8; Isa 60:1; Eze 1:28; Eze 3:12; Eze 3:23; Eze 10:4; Eze 10:18; Eze 11:23; Eze 43:4; Eze 43:5; Eze 44:4; Hab 2:14; Luke 2:9; 2Co 3:18; 2Co 8:19.)

The glory of the Lord spoken of here is not merely the Shekinah, or cloud of glory, such as rested above the ark in the old Covenant, but the glory of the Lord in person (Revelation 21:23; 22:5).

The glory of the Lord has risen upon you (Malachi 4:2; 1 Peter 4:14; Luke 2:32). For behold, darkness will cover the earth And deep darkness the peoples; But the LORD will rise upon you And His glory will appear upon you.

These passages shed further light on the glory of the Lord appearing on us:

(Mat 4:16) "THE PEOPLE WHO WERE SITTING IN DARKNESS SAW A GREAT LIGHT, AND THOSE WHO WERE SITTING IN THE LAND AND SHADOW OF DEATH, UPON THEM A LIGHT DAWNED."

(Luke 1:79) TO SHINE UPON THOSE WHO SIT IN DARKNESS AND THE SHADOW OF DEATH, To guide our feet into the way of peace."

(John 12:46) "I have come as Light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me will not remain in darkness.

(Act 26:18) to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.'

(Rom 2:19) and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness,

(2Co 4:6) For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of darkness," is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

(Eph 5:8) for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light

(Col 1:13) For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son,

(1Th 5:5) for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness;

(Heb 12:18) For you have not come to a mountain that can be touched and to a blazing fire, and to darkness and gloom and whirlwind,

(1Pe 2:9) But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

(1Jo 2:8) On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining.

But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; for you once were NOT A PEOPLE, but now you are THE PEOPLE OF GOD; you had NOT RECEIVED MERCY, but now you have RECEIVED MERCY. Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts, which wage war against the soul (1 Peter 2:9-11).

You were once not a people, but now you are the people of God. Who is Peter referring to here? Is he referring to the National Israel? Most certainly not! They were the Old Covenant people of God. Who then were once not a people? The very epistle we are studying (Ephesians) has already answered that:

Remember that you (Gentiles as normative; for there was Nineveh and Rahab to name but a few Gentiles saved under the Old Covenant) were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world (Ephesians 2:12).

The Gentiles were once not a people, but now are the people of God; that is, they are included and so identified with the redeemed Israelites, they are called the people of God, they are numbered among the sum total of the elect of God.

"I will sow her for Myself in the land. I will also have compassion on her who had not obtained compassion, And I will say to those who were not My people, 'You are My people!' And they will say, 'You are my God!'" (Hosea 2:23)

Not only does Peter quote this verse, Paul does as well; and both passages, 1 Peter 2:9-11, and Romans 9:24-26, have the exact same context, the Gentiles.

Even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles. As He says also in Hosea, "I WILL CALL THOSE WHO WERE NOT MY PEOPLE, 'MY PEOPLE,' AND HER WHO WAS NOT BELOVED, 'BELOVED.'" "AND IT SHALL BE THAT IN THE PLACE WHERE IT WAS SAID TO THEM, 'YOU ARE NOT MY PEOPLE,' THERE THEY SHALL BE CALLED SONS OF THE LIVING GOD" (Romans 9:24-26).
Therefore, we conclude that the inclusion of the Gentiles into the number of the saints, the body, was veiled but revealed, not in whole as it is now, but in part, but the knowledge of it was there, and so was the existence of this body; for the elect are all those who possess true saving faith in Christ. And if it is objected that all those in the Old Covenant were circumcised, I beseech you to turn to Romans 4:11, where we read:

He received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them (Romans 4:11).

You see, circumcision was never to obtain righteousness; it was the sign and seal of that righteousness that was already possessed by faith alone. Judaism insists that one must be circumcised in order to be saved (Acts 15:1); but those who possess saving faith in Christ know the difference between the Jew’s Religion (Galatians 1:13-15) and what it means to be in the Church of God, which is in faith in Christ’s work alone; Peter (Acts 15:8-9,11), Barnabas and Paul (Acts 15:12) and James (Acts 15:13-18). The elect were always a sub-set of National Israel. They saw past the religion of the Jews to the real spiritual meaning of it all, for the Law is spiritual, but for those in the Jew’s religion, they only saw the words engraven on stone.

Our Lord had something to say about the Jews Religion and making one a proselyte, "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves (Matthew 23:15).”

The mystery of Christ – Notice here, that it is not that the mystery = unprophesied church, distinct hope, a different gospel, a distinct eternal destiny; but the mystery is of Christ Himself.

As Paul says elsewhere,

Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God, that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints, to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory (Colossians 1:25-27).

The preaching of the Word of God, is to be specific, includes this mystery. What is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles? Christ in you, the hope of glory!

What does it mean “Christ in you?” In Ephesians 3:17 we read; that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. Through grace through faith and faith alone, Christ dwells in our hearts by faith. So, then, this mystery among the Gentiles is that Christ is dwelling in your hearts by faith alone, Who is the hope of glory.

The Hope of Glory – Rom 5:2; Eph 1:12; Eph 1:18; Col 1:27; *** 2:13 and 1Pe 1:21; it is interesting, that hope and glory are so intimately connected in these passages.

Through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God (Romans 5:2).

To the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory (Ephesians 1:12).
I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints
(Ephesians 1:18).

To whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory (Colossians 1:27).

Looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus (Titus 2:13).

Who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God (1 Peter 1:21).

In connection with this theme, that we are eagerly waiting for the blessed hope – the appearing of the glory of our Great God and Savior Christ Jesus, which is the goal of our being called unto salvation, we read:

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now. And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body. For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it (Romans 8:18-25).

The restoration of the creation itself, and the revealing of the sons of God with Him in glory when He returns is our blessed hope, the same one that Paul spoke of:

"But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets; having a hope in God, which these men cherish themselves, that there shall certainly be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. "In view of this, I also do my best to maintain always a blameless conscience both before God and before men (Acts 24:14-16).

You see, as above, it was revealed, but not as it is now, and not only to Paul (contrary to the constant assertion of the Dispensationalists), but Apostles plural and prophets plural by the Holy Spirit. The Gentiles are, to be specific, fellow-heirs with the saints, fellow body members with the saints and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the Gospel.

Fellow heirs and fellow members of The Body, what does this mean? Those from among the nations who are redeemed are heirs together with someone else. The word “heir” presupposes an inheritance. As a son inherits what his father leaves him, so too this inheritance pre-existed the Gentiles being made fellow heirs-members of the body. It is of great importance that the subject of fellow heirs and fellow members is “the body.” But, let’s complete the sentence.

-The Gentiles are fellow heir-members of the body with the saints (Ephesians 2:19). Who are the saints, but those Jews who were redeemed before the Gentiles were grafted in among them (Romans 11:16-22), to be fellow heir-members of the body?

The eternal purpose of God is the Church, but secondary to His own glory and honor. The Church is not parenthetical in God’s plan, an interlude in the eternal purpose of God; it is the eternal purpose of God. The Dispensationalists insist that we understand the Church in this manner:

<--------------National Israel Prime Purpose (The Church - Interlude Purpose) -----------> National Israel Prime Purpose Resumes

The manifold wisdom is being displayed through the Church, God’s eternal purpose. Remember, the Church being the sum total of the elect.

Upvote 0

@@Paul@@

Mar 24, 2004
Seattle
✟11,081.00
Faith
Baptist
agenes said:
Was not made known to the sons of men AS it has now been revealed – It is not as though this mystery was not made known to the sons of men in the past, but what is being said here is that it was not made known as it has now been revealed. Again, going back to the solution of the problem, what is the mystery of Christ? The grafting in of the nations (Gentiles, heathen) into the body = the mystery of Christ. Notice again, the mystery is not an unforeseen Church, but the inclusion of the Gentiles as the normative into that Church.
You are almost there. ;)

I agree that the mystery of Christ was that Jew/Gentile would be in a calling where Jew/Gentile would be in a PERFECT equality AND i agree with your explanation of Eph 3...;)... This "grafting" began around Acts 13... with the Jew, dispensationaly in FIRST place; NOW it's being revealed that this "church" would be comprised of Gentile/Jew.

However I do NOT agree that this exhausts the "mystery".
Eph 3:9-10 KJV
(9) And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
(10) To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,​

There is a secret attached to the BODY (which was made known previously, to some extent) and there is one attached to the HEAD (which was NOT made known at all)...

The eternal purpose OF this "fellowship" (the mystery of Christ) was not made known until A) Christ died on the cross AND B) God's plan for Israel was placed in abeyance.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.