N/A
✟155,778.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I would caution against typifying the people or the writing style of ancient Mesopotamia using just the myths that some produced.
Not everything was mythological, but mythological elements were very frequent in their writings.

They would not separate it like that, of course, for them it was all intermingled - they did not have our modern categories "natural" and "supernatural" or "factual" and "mythological" and therefore they also had no clear dividing line between them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟78,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
- there is no firmament and stars, the sun and the moon are not in it
Of course there is, 100%. You just have to know and understand what you are reading. That is why we need the HOLY Spirit of God to teach us, guide us and lead us into all righteousness. Of courses our carnal mind is not going to understand spiritual things and it is going to seem like foolishness to us. That is why we are born again of the Spirit and set free from the bondage and limiations of our flesh.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,778.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course there is, 100%. You just have to know and understand what you are reading. That is why we need the HOLY Spirit of God to teach us, guide us and lead us into all righteousness. Of courses our carnal mind is not going to understand spiritual things and it is going to seem like foolishness to us. That is why we are born again of the Spirit and set free from the bondage and limiations of our flesh.
No, there is none. Stars are very far away from the Earth, they are in no firmament. Similarly with the sun and the moon. There are no doors and windows in it for rain and no columns/mountains holding it. Its was just a (wrong) cultural view of the biblical writers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟78,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
No, there is none. Stars are very far away from the Earth, they are in no firmament. Similarly with the sun and the moon.
I have studied the physics of light in college and ever sense. The firmament has to do with our atmosphere and how it handles the light from the sun, moon and stars. In theater we use gels to filter the light and that is what our atmosphere does. It filters the light and that is why the sky is blue. AT the time of the dinosaurs the sky was pink because the firmament was different back then. Because the windows of Heaven were opened and the atmosphere became less humid. We see this in the ice core samples. Where we have bubbles of air from the atmosphere and how the firmament has changed over the last 800 million years. We have turtles and crocodiles that survived the extinction but they need very humid or wet conditions conditions.

There are two color theories, additive and subtractive. They have different primary colors. We see this in photography where the light is recorded on the film or digital sensor. The light is then captured or stored. The light travels a long distance to get to the earth. Then the light is filtered in our firmament. Then the light is reflected by an object. Some light is absorbed and some is reflected. The sensor of the camera then records the light and stores it in a digital media.

In outer space, stars appear just as they do on Earth, like tiny illuminated dots. However, there are a few factors that make the experience of seeing stars in space somewhat different:

1. Brightness and Clarity: Stars appear brighter and more defined to the naked eye in space than on Earth. This is due to the absence of atmospheric interference, which can scatter and dim the light from stars when viewed from our planet 1.
  2. Conditions of Earth: On Earth, our view of stars is affected by the atmosphere. Atmospheric turbulence causes stars to twinkle, and light pollution from cities can reduce their visibility. In space, astronauts don’t have these limitations, so stars appear clearer 1.
  3. Color Variation: Stars exhibit different colors based on their temperatures. Hotter stars appear white or blue, while cooler stars have orange or red hues. These color differences are more pronounced in space due to the absence of atmospheric effects 2.
So, while the appearance of stars remains consistent, the lack of atmospheric interference enhances the clarity and brilliance of their light when observed from space. ✨

When astronauts stand on the Moon, they experience several differences in lighting compared to Earth. Here are some key points:

1. Atmosphere and Shadows:
  2. Sunlight Intensity:
    • The Moon receives direct sunlight, but it lacks the protective atmosphere that filters and diffuses sunlight as it does on Earth. As a result, the sunlight on the Moon is much harsher and brighter.
    • Astronauts need to wear specially designed visors on their helmets to protect their eyes from the intense sunlight.
  3. Earthshine:
  4. Color Perception:
    • Colors appear different on the Moon due to the absence of an atmosphere. Without atmospheric scattering, the colors are more saturated and true to their natural hues.
    • Astronauts may notice color variations on the lunar surface, especially during their closest approach to the Moon. This observation was also made by Apollo crew members from orbit3.
In summary, the lack of atmosphere and the direct sunlight make the lighting conditions on the Moon quite distinct from those on Earth. Astronauts must adapt to these differences during their lunar missions.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟78,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
they are in no firmament
Lets compare the firmament on earth with the firmament on the moon.

If astronauts did not wear specially designed visors on their helmets to protect their eyes from the intense sunlight on the Moon, they would face several potential risks:

1. Eye Damage:
    • The intense sunlight on the Moon is unfiltered by Earth’s atmosphere. Without proper eye protection, direct exposure to this bright light could cause serious damage to the astronauts’ eyes.
    • The retina, lens, and cornea of the eyes are sensitive to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Prolonged exposure to UV light can lead to conditions like photokeratitis (similar to sunburn of the eyes) and even permanent damage.
  2. Glare and Discomfort:
    • The glare from the Sun on the lunar surface would be blinding without visors. Astronauts would experience extreme discomfort and reduced visibility.
    • Imagine standing in bright sunlight without sunglasses—now amplify that effect due to the lack of atmospheric scattering.
  3. Increased Risk of Accidents:
    • Reduced visibility due to glare could lead to accidents while walking, operating equipment, or performing experiments.
    • Astronauts might misjudge distances, trip over uneven terrain, or collide with objects.
  4. Heat and Radiation Exposure:
    • The Sun’s heat and radiation would directly impact their faces and eyes. The visors not only protect against visible light but also block harmful UV and infrared radiation.
    • Overexposure to solar radiation can cause skin burns and increase the risk of skin cancer.
  5. Long-Term Effects:
    • Prolonged exposure to intense sunlight without protection could have long-term consequences for astronauts’ eye health.
    • Chronic exposure to UV radiation may lead to cataracts, retinal damage, and other eye-related issues.
In summary, wearing specially designed visors is crucial for astronaut safety during lunar missions. These visors shield their eyes from harmful radiation, prevent glare, and maintain optimal visibility.

Ultraviolet light is nice to work with. They call this a black light and neon colors are much brighter under UV conditions, but you have to protect they eyes from uv light or you will start seeing flashes and colors will start to change on you and appear different. The firmament does this for you but your eye doctor may recommend that you use further protection for your eyes than what the firmament provides for us.

• Agree
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,778.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have studied the physics of light in college and ever sense. The firmament has to do with our atmosphere and how it handles the light from the sun, moon and stars. In theater we use gels to filter the light and that is what our atmosphere does. It filters the light and that is why the sky is blue.
No, that not what the biblical (and Mesopotamian) idea of the firmament was.

Again, the firmament idea was a solid dome with doors and windows, supported by the highest mountains, all around the flat earth, with stars, the sun and the moon in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟374,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We have a "firmament" in the same sense that we have "constellations." It looks like we have a big dome above a flat earth, from our POV. It looks like sun, stars, moon, and planets are attached to it.

But it's an illusion. Diamond7 is speaking of something very different than the solid dome over a flat Earth, imagined by the ancient Hebrews.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟78,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
No, that not what the biblical (and Mesopotamian) idea of the firmament
Your debate is with AI. This is just a cut and paste. From what I am told they have to dummy the computer down.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,778.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your debate is with AI. This is just a cut and paste. From what I am told they have to dummy the computer down.
The AI answer depends on the human question.

You can learn about the biblical firmament in Bible dictionaries, if you are interested. If you do not have an access to any, I can quote some for you.

• Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟78,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The AI answer depends on the human question.
Whatever the question you claim to be smarter than AI. I well let AI speak for itself.

The comparison between human intelligence and artificial intelligence (AI) is fascinating! Let’s explore this topic:

1. Human Intelligence:
    • Strengths:
      • Creativity: Humans excel at creative thinking, imagination, and innovation. We can generate novel ideas, create art, and solve complex problems.
      • Emotional Intelligence: Humans understand emotions, empathy, and social dynamics. We can connect with others on a deep level.
      • Common Sense: Our intuition and common sense guide our decision-making.
      • Adaptability: Humans can adapt to new situations, learn from experience, and evolve over time.
    • Limitations:
      • Biological Constraints: Our brains have limitations in terms of memory capacity, processing speed, and attention span.
      • Subjectivity: Human judgment can be influenced by biases, emotions, and personal beliefs.
      • Physical Constraints: We are vulnerable to fatigue, illness, and physical limitations.
  2. Artificial Intelligence (AI):
    • Strengths:
      • Speed and Precision: AI algorithms can process vast amounts of data quickly and accurately.
      • Pattern Recognition: AI excels at recognizing patterns, making predictions, and classifying information.
      • Scalability: AI systems can be replicated and deployed at scale.
      • No Emotional Bias: AI doesn’t have emotions or personal biases.
    • Limitations:
      • Lack of Creativity: AI lacks true creativity and originality. It operates based on existing patterns and data.
      • Narrow Focus: Most AI systems are specialized for specific tasks (e.g., image recognition, language translation).
      • Dependency on Data: AI’s performance depends on the quality and quantity of training data.
      • No Common Sense: AI lacks common sense reasoning and understanding of context.
  3. The Future:
    • Collaboration: Rather than a competition, humans and AI can complement each other. We can leverage AI’s strengths while retaining our unique abilities.
    • Ethical Considerations: As AI advances, we must address ethical concerns, transparency, and accountability.
In summary, humans and AI have distinct strengths and limitations. While AI can outperform humans in specific tasks, our creativity, emotional intelligence, and adaptability remain unparalleled. The future lies in collaboration, where we harness AI’s power while staying true to our human essence

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟78,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You can learn about the biblical firmament in Bible dictionaries
I learned about the Physics of light in college. I worked on lighting for the ballet company for three years.

I do not use a dictionary, I study the Hebrew language and it's meaning. I do not trust people to translate the Bible for me. I do that for myself. Although I do look at what everyone everywhere says about something. Even what you say about it, which is not much in comparison to all there is to learn about any subject. Esp when you are dealing with astro physics. In that regard I have a lot of respect for Neil DeGrass Tyson who happens to be an agnostic. I have a lot of respect for Gerald Schroeder who is a PhD from MIT. If someone does not have a PhD then I usually do not pay much attention to them. I want people who know all there is to know about what they are talking about. Also it is no problem for me to read the studies and research for myself.

So as usual you are judging me for what you are guilty of and telling on yourself.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,778.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I learned about the Physics of light in college. I worked on lighting for the ballet company for three years.

I do not use a dictionary, I study the Hebrew language and it's meaning. I do not trust people to translate the Bible for me. I do that for myself. Although I do look at what everyone everywhere says about something. Even what you say about it, which is not much in comparison to all there is to learn about any subject. Esp when you are dealing with astro physics. In that regard I have a lot of respect for Neil DeGrass Tyson who happens to be an agnostic. I have a lot of respect for Gerald Schroeder who is a PhD from MIT. If someone does not have a PhD then I usually do not pay much attention to them. I want people who know all there is to know about what they are talking about. Also it is no problem for me to read the studies and research for myself.

So as usual you are judging me for what you are guilty of and telling on yourself.
Bible dictionaries are not vocabulary for Hebrew language.

They are expositions about cultural background and various concepts used in the Bible which are unknown to today's reader.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟78,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Bible dictionaries are not vocabulary for Hebrew language.
I study the Hebrew language under the Hasidic. You have to have studied the Bible for 40 years before you can begin to do that.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,778.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I study the Hebrew language under the Hasidic. You have to have studied the Bible for 40 years before you can begin to do that.
You must read the whole sentence, not just one word in it. Bible dictionaries are not for studying Hebrew.

They are expositions about cultural background and various concepts used in the Bible which are unknown to today's reader (like firmament).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bible+dictionary&ref=cs_503_search

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums