• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Want to say hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maharg

wanting greater intimacy with Jesus
Apr 9, 2004
UK
✟22,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if I have depression or not. Half the time I think I have and half the time I think I haven't. Sometimes I feel like my normal self but other times I don't. Almost feel like I am pretending to be ill. Someone has accused me of taking on a victim role in order to get attention from my friends and family. But I'm not doing it on purpose - at least I don't think I am. I would really appreciate your prayers. Thanks everyone.

Maharg

bnkessler

Jul 7, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟274.00
Faith
Christian
Here is some information I found, that may be helpful. Here are some various forms of depression. Note that there is also mild and moderate depression. You would have to go to a professional to be diagnosed with depression.

Clinical depression is an umbrella term used to describe the most common forms of depression, which include:
  • Major depression, also known as melancholia or unipolar depression, can last up to a year if not treated. A person experiencing an episode of major depression will experience some physical problems, such as headaches or digestive upset, in addition to emotional difficulties.
  • Bipolar disorder, once called manic depression, causes mood swings that soar to unusual elation, and then plummet to depression. A person with severe bipolar disorder may also see or hear things that are not there and experience paranoia (a feeling that they are in danger).
  • Dysthymia is a chronic (ongoing), low-grade depression. It often begins in childhood or adolescence and may last for many years in adulthood if not treated. It is a less severe form of clinical depression, but at times it can be almost as disabling as major depression.
  • Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a form of depression thought to be triggered by a decrease in exposure to sunlight. In the Northern Hemisphere, the condition usually occurs in late fall and winter, when daylight hours are short, and it is more common in geographical areas that have four clearly defined seasons.

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, it can be tough to know when you feel alright sometimes...that's how I've felt too sometimes so I can at least somewhate relate to what you are feeling. See a doctor and discuss how you feel and see what he/she says...you may want to see a counselor no matter what they say.

Upvote 0

Godlovesusall

Apr 12, 2004
St. John
✟7,916.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Explain how you feel. Do you feel sad, or suicidal 75% of the time, do you have lack of/too much sleep? Have you lost interest in things you loved and were devoted to before? Have you had an abnormal appetite? For instance, do you tend to eat more or less than before? These are just some symptoms of depression, if you have had more than one that last longer than six weeks I believe it is. Anyhow, you may have depression, or you may just need a friend, regardless, I advise you talk to a professional who studied it in College exe: guidance counsellor at school, social worker, or phycologist. Regardless of what others say, if it is depression it is very dangerous to go on living it without treating it, and it is pointless, because it is a very treatable illness. I wish you the best of luck, if you want to talk I will be here because I have been through depression, cutting, and suicide thoughts, and still am. God bless you. Pray to God for encouragement and aid.

Upvote 0

Maharg

wanting greater intimacy with Jesus
Apr 9, 2004
UK
✟22,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

I am a psychologist, so I guess I know the symptoms of depression - it's just that I know that I am feeling the way I am because lots of horrible things have happened at once, so I have had periods of not being unhappy, but because lots of difficult things have happened I do feel unhappy. Now that I am away from work and am around people who love me I no longer feel suicidal, and I have my apetite back and enjoy the things that I always have, but when I think about my job I get miserable and angry - I have been very badly treated by my employers but they don't even know that they have treated me badly yet, because I'm still waiting for a meeting with them to tell them. I've been thinking back about my decisions and behaviour over the last 6 months and have decided that it is something more like psychosis than depression, brought on by acting as though I am ok every day because I have been told that I should be, whilst feeling awful inside without realising it. I have felt depressed at various points but have only felt semi-aware of it. I am quite frightened really about how I have been feeling, not of depression, but more of 'madness'; of feeling that I am not in control of my own behaviour.

It's good to post here, though, so I will continue to do that.

Thanks everyone

Maharg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.