Unfaithful

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,496.00
Faith
Christian
Unfaithful

A person is unfaithful when they do not live up to their agreements when it was in their power to do so. For example many have taken the marriage vow saying, "Till death do us part", but then prior to death doing them part they end up having sex with someone else.

Likewise in the Old Testament Israel had a covental relationship with God, but nonetheless were characteristically unfaithful to His covenant. Thus for example He says, "Like their fathers they were disloyal and faithless, as unreliable as a faulty bow." Ps 78:57

Or consider the marriage analogy God makes in Jer 3:7-10 During the reign of King Josiah, the LORD said to me, "Have you seen what faithless Israel has done? She has gone up on every high hill and under every spreading tree and has committed adultery there. I thought that after she had done all this she would return to me but she did not, and her unfaithful sister Judah saw it. I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries. Yet I saw that her unfaithful sister Judah had no fear; she also went out and committed adultery. Because Israel’s immorality mattered so little to her, she defiled the land and committed adultery with stone and wood. In spite of all this, her unfaithful sister Judah did not return to me with all her heart, but only in pretense," declares the LORD.

So "If you make a vow to the LORD your God, do not be slow to pay it, for the LORD your God will certainly demand it of you and you will be guilty of sin." De 23:21

And for those who excuse themselves saying the simply made a mistake, Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. And do not protest to the temple messenger, "My vow was a mistake." Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the work of your hands?" Ecc 5:6 Or they may say that they hadn't considered the implications of their agreements. But it is written, "LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill? ... he who despises a vile man but honors those who fear the LORD, who keeps his oath even when it hurts ..." Ps 15:1,4
The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources