Unconditional Love-Is it an actual tenet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey all,

I'm curious is the idea of unconditional love a Christian tenet? As in is it biblical, does it exist in doctrine. If it is would you be so kind as to share the verses?

What do you mean by "Christian tenet"? Are you thinking of God and His love for mankind? Or are you referring to the love a Christian ought to have toward his fellow man? Or what?

Peace.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear BlueCelt. I never thought about Love as tenet, I only know that God`s Love for us is Agape, one of the 3 different meanings of Love. 1) Love -Agape, God`s Love for us, unselfish and for the welfare of others. 2) Filio, love for family and dear ones. 3) Eros, love for partners, sexual desires. When Jesus tells us in the Bible, " Love God and love each other, it is always Agape. You will find it in many places in the Bible. God is Love, and anything we do, or say, and it is without Love, ( Agape) it is not from God. I say this humbly and with love, BlueCelt. Emmy sister in Christ.

Reactions: Maranatha27
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think it would be difficult to make the case from the Bible that God loves mankind unconditionally.

Psalm 7:11 (NKJV)
11 God is a just judge, And God is angry with the wicked every day.

Psalm 11:5-6 (NKJV)
5 The Lord tests the righteous, But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates.
6 Upon the wicked He will rain coals; Fire and brimstone and a burning wind Shall be the portion of their cup.

Ezekiel 22:31 (KJV)
31 Therefore have I poured out mine indignation upon them; I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own way have I recompensed upon their heads, saith the Lord GOD.

John 3:36 (KJV)
36 He that believes on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abides on him.

Romans 1:18 (KJV)
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Revelation 14:10 (KJV)
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

Peace.

Reactions: BlueCelt
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you mean this?

"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:6-8)

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, BlueCelt :hug:

I think John 3:16 alone shows that God's love for us is unconditional. What happens after this life is up for grabs, but His love - that's there whether we like it or not.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Keep in mind, it says that God so loved the world. It doesn't say He gave His son only for those who would believe in Him - He gives eternal life to all who believe in Him, but His love has already been demonstrated.

Love is freely given; with the sacrifice of Christ, He made the first move, if you will, and demonstrated how unconditional that love really is.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
While John 3:16 says that "God so loved the world," it does not say that He does so "unconditionally." Other verses in Scripture prevent such a twisting of this verse.

God "commends His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us," but for those who reject that love the "wrath of God abides on him."

Peace.

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While John 3:16 says that "God so loved the world," it does not say that He does so "unconditionally." Other verses in Scripture prevent such a twisting of this verse.

God "commends His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us," but for those who reject that love the "wrath of God abides on him."

Peace.
Hi :) This isn't a forum for debate, but I''ll say that it doesn't need to say "unconditionally". He gave us His Son unconditionally. What is conditional (or, more accurately, our choice) is salvation.

He died even for those who do not follow Him. That's unconditional.

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi :) This isn't a forum for debate, but I''ll say that it doesn't need to say "unconditionally". He gave us His Son unconditionally. What is conditional (or, more accurately, our choice) is salvation.

He died even for those who do not follow Him. That's unconditional.

Yeah, I know about the debate prohibition so I'll keep this short. I could agree if you said God's love is universal.That "God so loved the world" speaks only to the scope of His love.

Peace.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.