TTC & Weight Loss

I

ilovepurple

I noticed in some of our threads that there are a few of us who want to lose weight and become as healthy as possible. This can help the odds of conception and contribute to better health overall.

I am currently on Weight Watchers and I am trying to exercise daily by taking an evening walk with DH. I have lost almost 16 lbs (from 207 to 191). When I was at 207, I had less EWCM and didn't have many signs of ovulation other than a regular period. Now that I am down by just 16lbs, I am noticing more EWCM. This is not to say that all fertility issues are weight related, it could have just been a coincidence. Since I cannot control the timing of conception, I want to exercise control over the aspects of my health that I do have control over, my weight being one of them.

If anyone else is trying to lose weight, I propose we chat on this thread and exchange tips and encourage each other to work towards our weight loss goals.

Who's with me?

Catholic Wife

Senior Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟25,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if weight loss really does increase a woman's chances of conceiving, but . . .

I dropped from 220# to 210# and dropped a size in pants (in one month) through diet and exercise, then found out a couple weeks later that I was finally pregnant! That's the kick in the pants I need to keep eating right / exercising and losing weight. I have no delusions that I will ever be "skinny", but I'll be happy if I can get back down to 170#. At 5'8" (and with big boobs and big bones), that will give me approximately BMI 26 and body fat 25%.

ETA: Thinking back 20+ years, when I weighed around 160# (size 10-12) and walked everywhere, I had shorter, more regular periods. As I've gained weight over the years, my periods have gotten longer. And, now that I'm charting, I notice that my follicular phase is pretty long. Last cycle (when I got pregnant), my follicular phase was 5 or so days shorter than usual. It made me think (HMMMMMMM). :idea:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

felinity

Veteran
Oct 11, 2005
✟17,761.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Yeah - I feel your pain. I'm an overweight adult, but I was a fairly thin teenager before the PCOS made my metabolism stop, and I've really never had regular menstrual cycles. What do your doctors say about it? If you haven't done so, a visit to a reproductive endocrinologist might be in order.

Upvote 0

lovesdolphins

New year, new me, new baby????
Mar 28, 2007
Houston
✟15,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
5% of 266 is still quite a bit of weight - and I haven't hit that point yet. I'm working on it though - hopefully I will start ovulating. I can have periods; but no ovulation yet. My Dr said that when I get my insulin down to a normal level that I will be able to lose weight easier - I do hope that's the case. My goal is 160 - but in all honesty my goal is to get pregnant.

I am using the IR Diet - it's basically linking and balancing carbs with protein. I probably still eat more carbs than I should; but I have seriously cut down on them and am linking them with more proteins. It's slow - but my insulin dropped from 14 to 11 in 6 weeks.

Upvote 0

felinity

Veteran
Oct 11, 2005
✟17,761.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Actually, 5% of your starting weight is about 13 lbs, and according to your ticker, you have passed that! Nice work. :)

I've been exercising a lot more than I did previously, taking Metformin regularly again, and trying to be more careful in my eating with regards to both portion control and carbs, but my weight is still hovering around my starting weight. It's that kind of non-result that makes it so hard for me to stick with anything, but I'm trying! It's only been a week, to be fair.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2008
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I noticed in some of our threads that there are a few of us who want to lose weight and become as healthy as possible. This can help the odds of conception and contribute to better health overall.

I am currently on Weight Watchers and I am trying to exercise daily by taking an evening walk with DH. I have lost almost 16 lbs (from 207 to 191). When I was at 207, I had less EWCM and didn't have many signs of ovulation other than a regular period. Now that I am down by just 16lbs, I am noticing more EWCM. This is not to say that all fertility issues are weight related, it could have just been a coincidence. Since I cannot control the timing of conception, I want to exercise control over the aspects of my health that I do have control over, my weight being one of them.

If anyone else is trying to lose weight, I propose we chat on this thread and exchange tips and encourage each other to work towards our weight loss goals.

Who's with me?
I'm with you!!! :clap:

I took the summer off from school so I could concentrate on working out at the gym and loose some weight before we get pg. We have received the 'all clear' from my RE for a natural IUI (meaning no drugs involved, just putting the spermies closer to their destination! :thumbsup:) and we are aiming for our 1st try during my August cycle! :amen:
Until then, I am counting my points (I'm a WW member) and working out 3-5 days a week. I've also started walking to/from the train station during the week (1 mile each way= 2 miles a day) and taking a mini-walk for 10 min before I eat lunch. AND OF COURSE PRAYING all the time! :pray:

I would love to share tips and words of encouragement during this TTC journey, so COUNT ME IT!

Upvote 0

lovesdolphins

New year, new me, new baby????
Mar 28, 2007
Houston
✟15,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, 5% of your starting weight is about 13 lbs, and according to your ticker, you have passed that! Nice work. :)

I've been exercising a lot more than I did previously, taking Metformin regularly again, and trying to be more careful in my eating with regards to both portion control and carbs, but my weight is still hovering around my starting weight. It's that kind of non-result that makes it so hard for me to stick with anything, but I'm trying! It's only been a week, to be fair.
I guess I shouldn't tell y'all that my degree is in accounting :doh:

I realized finally that you have to be careful about what you eat while taking Metformin to avoid the side-effects. Of course my Dr wasn't very clear on that when I started taking it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lovesbrightpink

Loves jesus and America too.
Aug 19, 2006
Oklahoma
✟11,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
wow thats alot. I want to lose 40 lbs min. Which would put me at 185ish.

Hoping to due so in about 6 months that when we want to start ttc

Dh needs to lose weight though he joined the online male weight watchers which is great but he isnt even counting the points lol.

Im trying to eat as healthy and clean as possible and work out as much as I can I just have noooo motivation! it sucks right now!

Upvote 0