Los Angeles Area
✟847,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Donald Trump, the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination, told his supporters on Saturday to "go into" Philadelphia and two other Democratic-run cities to "guard the vote" in 2024, repeating his unfounded claims of widespread election fraud in 2020 as justification for the call to action.

"So the most important part of what's coming up is to guard the vote. And you should go into Detroit and you should go into Philadelphia and you should go into some of these places, Atlanta," Trump said in Ankeny, a suburb of Des Moines.

Timothy Naftali, a senior research scholar at Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs, said Trump's comments calling for scrutiny of elections in large Democratic-controlled cities were concerning because he made them while seeking to undermine trust in U.S. elections.

"We are in a very volatile period in our democracy," Naftali said. "If he is seeking to increase trust in our system, he should be more explicit. But what he said today was in the context of his mistrust of our system."

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟847,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Speaking of watching elections in Democratic-run areas... also from Trump's Iowa tour.

Trump Says He’d Win California and New York If Only Jesus and God ‘Came Down’ To Oversee Election

“I actually believe that if they didn’t have rigged elections out there, if they didn’t have all the paper bal– you know, they send out like 36 million ballots and nobody knows where the [heck] they’re going to or coming from. I think a few people know where they’re going to and a few people know where they’re coming from,” said Trump about California.

“But I think if you had a real election and Jesus came down and God came down and said, I’m going to be the scorekeeper here, I think we would win there,” said Trump. “I think would win in Illinois, and I think it would win in New York, which is all places that, in theory -- [wild applause]”

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟738,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Speaking of watching elections in Democratic-run areas... also from Trump's Iowa tour.

Trump Says He’d Win California and New York If Only Jesus and God ‘Came Down’ To Oversee Election

“I actually believe that if they didn’t have rigged elections out there, if they didn’t have all the paper bal– you know, they send out like 36 million ballots and nobody knows where the [heck] they’re going to or coming from. I think a few people know where they’re going to and a few people know where they’re coming from,” said Trump about California.

“But I think if you had a real election and Jesus came down and God came down and said, I’m going to be the scorekeeper here, I think we would win there,” said Trump. “I think would win in Illinois, and I think it would win in New York, which is all places that, in theory -- [wild applause]”

Lyrics:
"All he needed was PR
A million box of business cards
Careful image consultation
Securing reputation

A clever market plan
He didn't understand
That's all it really takes
He could have played for higher stakes

Now
Somehow
We've gone wrong

Chorus:
This Jesus thing, it's a smash hit
It's packaged right
All stocks have split, it's a smash hit
It's gone worldwide

Join His name to any cause
Drop His name to get applause
They never get enough
Nothing here to be ashamed of

Those ever loyal fans
They wanna get their hands
On His newest merchandising
Ignoring overpricing

Now
Oh Wow
We've gone wrong

Repeat chorus

It has no explanation
It smells like exploitation"

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟341,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see one small splinter of truth in Trump's quoted statements: Maybe it's time for an outside observer to be brought in for our next presidential election. I don't think Jesus is available, but perhaps a team from Canada or one of our other neighbors. It's embarrassing to say, because I'm not used to thinking of American elections in this way, but if we're going to have partisan teams "guarding" the election, and then the Philadelphia police guarding the "guards" to make sure they don't interfere with voting too much, maybe we need international election observers who clearly don't belong to any American political party.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟200,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I suspect he may be unavailable for such things that day.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟200,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We
I see one small splinter of truth in Trump's quoted statements: Maybe it's time for an outside observer to be brought in for our next presidential election. I don't think Jesus is available, but perhaps a team from Canada or one of our other neighbors. It's embarrassing to say, because I'm not used to thinking of American elections in this way, but if we're going to have partisan teams "guarding" the election, and then the Philadelphia police guarding the "guards" to make sure they don't interfere with voting too much, maybe we need international election observers who clearly don't belong to any American political party.
Because obviously other countries would have nothing to gain by tampering with our elections.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟185,183.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The election process already has democratic and republican observers monitoring. Now you want foreigners to come in to monitor as well? LOL

Absurd.

Hey! Let's bring in the UN, because we all know conservatives love the United Nations!

What Trump wants is for his die-hard loyal fans to go in and cause chaos.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟911,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not progressives who want paper ballots. We have an ex tremist group on our parts, the Elders, who want paper ballots with their people evaluating which ones are OK.
In other words. Cheating.
Evaluating which ones are OK you mean like ensuring that only people on voter rolls vote?

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Remember back in 2012 when there was talk of OCSE sending observers and the right had the vapors?
Texas has provisions for poll watchers. You can read all about them on this document.
http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/pollwatcher2012.pdf

Texas also has provisions that only people who are election judges, watchers, voters or minors under the care of a voter can be within (if forget if it's 100 or 300) feet of a polling location.

OCSE observers were allowed in San Antonio in 2008
Texas AG Pits State Code Against International Treaty | KUT News
OSCE spokesman Thomas Rymer says this is the sixth election the OSCE has observed in the U.S. Theyve even been to Texas in the past in 2008 OSCE stationed observers in San Antonio and were not challenged by the state.​
To be honest, if OCSE wants to have observers inside polling locations, they should just recruit someone eligible to be a poll watcher and have them go in lieu of someone actually from the organization.

This whole dog and pony show is just Greg Abbott trying to stir up the base about furriners comin' over here and stirrin' up trouble. It's a joke except to those who take that paranoid garbage seriously.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,212,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Evaluating which ones are OK you mean like ensuring that only people on voter rolls vote?
That already happens when you walk into polling stations. Any yahoo outside of my polling station will only be getting Haywood Jabuzoff as my name if they start asking.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Because obviously other countries would have nothing to gain by tampering with our elections.
International observers usually means bodies, not nations.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Going to California with an aching in my heart
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟264,394.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
...maybe we need international election observers who clearly don't belong to any American political party.
It's a sad admission that you've reached 'banana republic' status.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟312,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

God AND Jesus? Maybe he's unaware of the Holy Spirit. Or maybe he's an Arrian heretic and does not believe Jesus was God the Son. Or maybe he just ignorant of the Trinity. But then, God (The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) are not and never were citizens of the Unites States of America and therefore have no say in our elections.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

He's losing it and yet his ardently faithful believers cheer him on.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟875,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Trump: What's the score?
God: Satan - 666; Trump- 0

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟738,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
God AND Jesus? Maybe he's unaware of the Holy Spirit. Or maybe he's an Arrian heretic and does not believe Jesus was God the Son. Or maybe he just ignorant of the Trinity. But then, God (The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) are not and never were citizens of the Unites States of America and therefore have no say in our elections.

I can forgive a politician being bad at theology. Bad theology is rampant not only in church pews but even from many pulpits (where it is less excusable).

Expecting Donald Trump to have any kind of functioning understanding of Trinitarian theology seems like overkill when the same guy referred to the bread of the Holy Eucharist as "a little cracker".

Religionese is an easy sales pitch. And that's really all it is, Trump is a salesman, his product is himself, and invoking the sacred is merely just another tool in his arsenal of grift.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟750,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I agree that the vote should be guarded. That would mean not allowing extremists like Donald Trump to usurp the vote by putting pressure on the Electoral and the Vice President to disregard the people's votes based on unproven accusations which were ALL thrown out of court based on lack of evidence.

Trump is hardly one to protect the vote when not only did he pressure the government to disregard the people's votes but also attempted a coup led by organizing members of white nationalist hate groups storming our nation's capital building harming police in the process. Is that the rule of law or the rule of a despot? I thank God that our military leaders did not join his illegal grab for power.

• Agree
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0