Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟885,615.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Iowa = sleepy ones. Not the most flattering name I suppose. And they're right next door to the Warriors. I'm surprised the sleepy ones still exist. Seems like the warriors would have taken advantage.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

I have become comfortably numb.
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟262,342.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Fascinating. Loved investigating that.

So...Australian states?

New South Wales Named after the original South Wales in the UK (where I originally come from). Cap'n Cook thought the coast looked similar. I think he must have been drunk at the time.
Victoria Named after Queen Victoria.
Queensland Umm...named after Queen Victoria.
Tasmania Named after Abel Tasman, Dutch guy who was first European to find the place. Went from there to NZ and the wet bit between one and the other is now the Tasman Sea.
Western Australia Well, it's..um..in the west.
South Australia And this is..ah..in the south.
Northern Territories Not a state, but territories in...the north.
Canberra Likewise not a state, but the Australian Capitol Territory (ACT). Kinda like Washington DC. A little odd that it's wholey within NSW.

All the states were originally self governing colonies but in 1901 agreed to form the Commonwealth of Australia. New Zealand and Fiji had second thoughts and passed on the opportunity.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Slight adjustment: Califia (or Calafia) is the warrior queen of the Amazons living on the fictional island of California.

Early maps (and even some later ones when people should have known better) depicted California as an island. Presumably explorers had encountered the long peninsula of Baja California and assumed it was an island.

Upvote 0