To Old to Have a Baby?

W

walant

Hey Guys,or to the women who know their spouses answers, I was wondering on what your thoughts are for the age that you personally feel is to old to have a baby. I know it's kind of a weird question, but wanted to hear your opinions anyways. How many of you guys out there were older when you had your kids? What's your views and opinions about this?

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
After menopause is too old to have children. Anything before that is OK. :D

Seriously, I'm one of those "older mothers". The ACTUAL phrase my doctor used was "advanced maternal age" (I LOVE that). I was 38 when I had my first, and 40 with #2.

Not my choice.

I was 20 when I married my husband, but, except for one miscarriage in 1986, just never got pregnant until 2002.

I feel that, as long as a person takes care of themselves reasonably (I'm not talking mad aerobicizer or ribbon-winning weightlifter), age really shouldn't matter. Yeah, I know that I'm going to be almost 60 when my "baby" graduates from high school. So were my sisters...and my mother. They had no problem...I certainly don't really see a problem.

The only part that is kind of "ow" is when I meet some of my daughters' friends' grandmothers, only to find out that they are contemporaries of mine!

Sorry for the rambling post; I hope I helped.

Upvote 0

Michigan5-0

Red Sea Pedestrian
Dec 15, 2010
United States
✟15,153.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Hey Guys,or to the women who know their spouses answers, I was wondering on what your thoughts are for the age that you personally feel is to old to have a baby. I know it's kind of a weird question, but wanted to hear your opinions anyways. How many of you guys out there were older when you had your kids? What's your views and opinions about this?

A lot of people are saying the new age cut off should be 43-44

Upvote 0
W

walant

Thanks to both of your answers so far. My wife is 36 and I am 39, and you hear pepole say one thing and then the other people others and I had interest in seeing what other christian based people say. In a way I feel as long as the person has enough love and faith and financial and relationship stability in their life and heart for another child that perhaps the age is not as important. i do a lot of thinking like you Singermom about the when they are in highschool....

Upvote 0

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, I DON'T put a lot of thought into the "when they're in HS" thing. It seems that a lot of other people do; I just put it in as a reference point, basically saying I KNOW...but it isn't important. I'm just so blessed thankful that I finally had a baby...and then another!

I just remember something that I read in Dear Abby years ago. Someone wanted to go back to college, but their spouse said they were "too old". The person said, "I'll be [whatever age] in 4 years when I graduate."

Abby's answer was, "How old will you be in 4 years if you DON'T go back to school?"

I loved that.

I also want to stress that it was totally NOT our planning to be late-in-life parents. That was entirely a God thing. I was never on birth control, never went out of our way NOT to have children. We even tested for fertility.

I totally agree with your post, where you say, "as long as the person has enough love and faith and financial and relationship stability in their life and heart for another child that perhaps the age is not as important." I'll go so far as to say, if God feels you're ready... :)

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟208,696.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My 50 yr old brother in law has three; a 28 yr old, a 26 yr old and a 6 month old. I have not really asked him if he feels he is too old for a baby or not. When that unbelievably bright light of pride and love dims out a bit and I can get close enough to him without being blinded by it, I may ask.....but then I do not want to have my ears boxed by him, even if it is from love :D.

I was 34 when my daughter was born and hubby was 39. We only feel we were too old when our knees creek and groan, but then we would not change having her one bit, so we were not too old.

Upvote 0

Spirit_Star

Dec 14, 2008
USA
✟15,607.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmmm well for me personnel I wouldn't want to have a natural child past 45. I’ll be 28 next May. I don't see any babys in the near future. So if I ever have biokids probably wouldn't be until my late 30's to mid 40s. Of course one never knows what God has planned I know a lady she’s 37 about ready to drop her daughter. The baby was not planned in fact if you asked her a year ago that she'd be having a baby in about a year she probably would have laughed. ^_^^_^

When my brother was born my mom was 38 and Dad was 37. First child for Dad and third child for my mom, she had her first at 21 and second at 23. Her first spouse died of cancer. Then when I was placed as a foster child they were 42 and 41. My Aunt (dad's sister) and her husband were in their late 40’s when they adopted my cousin he was an infant. He was born in Feb and my Aunt turned 48 or 49 that December and her husband is 1 or 2 years younger then her. They said they know of a few other “older” parents. They got married in 2000 so they weren't together for like decades though both had been previously married, no children.

I remember once my brothers friend thought our parents were his grandparents, and that’s even with our parents looking younger then they actually are

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lisah

Humanist with Christian Heritage
Oct 3, 2003
✟15,168.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married

I was nearly forty when I had my one and only child. I would say that one of the disadvantages was that I hit my "mid-life crisis" when she was about five. My whole viewpoint on life began to change around that time as I began to pursue some things that interested me. (I've always been the "late bloomer".)

I'm almost 53 and I really wouldn't want to start over with a baby, but I can see how some women might be ready to start a family at this age too. I think it's ok, but have a good support system behind you.

Oh, btw. It did take about three years to get pregnant. Age can make that a bit more difficult.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
At this point in my life I feel like somewhere between 32-35 would be too old, just based off of the risks I learned about in school. However, I am encouraged to hear so many of you went past the "textbook" age and did just fine :clap: Sometimes life doesn't go by the book.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey Guys, or to the women who know their spouses answers, I was wondering on what your thoughts are for the age that you personally feel is to old to have a baby.
How many of you guys out there were older when you had your kids? What's your views and opinions about this?
Since being in their 90's in the Bible was not too old to have
a Baby
:clap: isn't this a 'non-starter' :thumbsup: for a question.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was 38 years old when I had my first child. And I am now 40 years old and TTC #2.

The thought of menopause makes me sad. I am trying to just be optimistic about it at this point. A period is a good thing.
You don't have to do menopause, you know. You can just skip it. That's right, keep your periods; and your bone-density :thumbsup:, & all your other good :thumbsup: health. Why? - to better PRAISE :clap: God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your only as old as you feel:D never too old;)
Exceptional-attitudes, & Thoughts, & Emotional/feelings are certainly part of the picture. And when done on the subconscious Mind level, yes, - then you can birth children unto God in later years. They did it in the Bible, so obviously it's possible. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My h was ready to stop with the baby-making a long time before I was. I personally feel that it's a decision to be made equally between husband wife. There are risks involved - including the risk of a less healthy baby and a more complicated pregnancy, and a higher risk of needing a c-section. I had my child at 37, and it was much more difficult than I think it would have been 10 years earlier.

I am now post-menopausal at 49, so it's not even an issue anymore.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't have to do menopause, you know. You can just skip it. That's right, keep your periods; and your bone-density :thumbsup:, & all your other good :thumbsup: health. Why? - to better PRAISE :clap: God!
The hormones that God gave us direct when menopause will begin. You can't pray menopause away.

Upvote 0