This bugs me...the chosen people

DrPepper

Jun 11, 2004
✟199.00
Faith
Christian
DrPepper said:
What about that verse "blessed are those who bless the jews" or something meaning those who are good to the Jews will recieve blessings.

I'm not a fan of Jack Chick, but one of his tracts is "Love the Jewish people" and he claims in it that the fall and rise of countries and their success is due to their support or lack of support for Israel.

What do people think about this?
Please can people comment on this? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Subduer

Jul 8, 2004
✟153.00
Faith
Muslim
Hi & Salaam

Most replies were right .
To be messenger of God is a mission that needs many conditions , so , not any one can success in it , that means ,it is not good , at all , in thr right of God , to send a messenger , then he failed in his mission . So , God choses suitable persons for that mission that have many qualifies ,not found in other people .

Also ,God cannot be in direct touch with people , because he is unlimited being , so there must be a human being to be a mediator between God & people , those mediators are called messengers and prophets .

Imagine that you want a person to fulfil your mission , you will chose a suitable person who has all the needed qualifies to success in it , that's accepted matter and realestic .

In bible , it is said that Jonan escaped from this mission , and in the sea he was swallowed by a whale , in my opinion that doesnot give us a true view about the messenger , because messenger cannot refuse God's will to be his messenger , also messenger must not afraid from people , because he knowe well that he is protected from God .

These and other same things are the answer of the question , why God chose specific people for this mission .

I was astonished from the member who claimed that Adam & Eve were jews , i advice him to refer to the subject mentioned in this forum discussing that point .

Upvote 0

Subduer

Jul 8, 2004
✟153.00
Faith
Muslim
DrPepper said:
Sure, The below is on the Tract:

"I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curse thee"
Genesis 12:3(See also Genesis 27:29)

Thanks.
Hi & Salaam

yes , that's right , but - according to my knowledge - that was at that time , when they were choosen as a people - crowd - of God .

Then God put some certain conditions to them , after they disobied God and Moses , in many things , not only God , but also Moses became angry from them , they caused by their disobedience , to prevent Moses from entering the holy land , and he died out of it .

more than that , they denied Jesus the Christ , and complained about him to the Roman governor, which caused to Jesus many troubles .
can any one think , after all that bad things in doings and sayings , that the saying "" "I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curse thee"
"" is still valid ! i donot think that .

Upvote 0
does this not bring in a bit about predestination? people say Christians are 'choosen' and it says that in Ephesians 1:5

In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure

Dictionary def of 'predestination'

1. The doctrine that God has foreordained all things, especially that God has elected certain souls to eternal salvation.
  2. The divine decree foreordaining all souls to either salvation or damnation.
  3. The act of God foreordaining all things gone before and to come.
mayb this is totally off topic but i think God has still a 'chosen' people...mayb i'm totally wrong in sayin this...i don't really no....:sigh: :confused:

Reactions: dtrb
Upvote 0

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
kau2u said:
:wave: Thanks, but it didn't really answer my question. I know about the NT new covenant.

But why would our God choose A people in the OT? He's big enough to choose ALL people, isn't He?

It's never made sense to me.
I've just recently pondered this question. Because my view of the bible is not like many, I'd say it has something to do with the human response to the Spirit's leading. That is, the human, biblical authors of the bible wrote as they understood things to be. Personally, it does not sound like God to choose a certain people as 'chosen'. This implies that all others not chosen or the 'unchosen'. This may be how you are thinking about the whole 'chosen/unchosen' thing, eh? At the present, I think it had to do with the Jewish people wanting to make themselves God's chosen and it came through in what was approved to be included in what we call the bible. To me, anyone who says something similar to, "If they are not with us, they are not part of us!", which, paraphrasing, is somewhere in the bible, then that sounds more like man than God and religious bigotry trying to make their views and religion 'the chosen' religion.

Upvote 0

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
RachyG said:
does this not bring in a bit about predestination? people say Christians are 'choosen' and it says that in Ephesians 1:5

Dictionary def of 'predestination'

[/color]
[/list]mayb this is totally off topic but i think God has still a 'chosen' people...mayb i'm totally wrong in sayin this...i don't really no....:sigh: :confused:
IMHO, the bible is a book written by those who took what Jesus taught and made it into a religion, which I don't see was Jesus' goal or intent. So, when reading the bible and Ephesians 1:5, you are going to see the words of a christian who believes that only christians are of God and are going to heaven and what is said by that author is going to support what they believe to be. Again, my humble opinion.

Upvote 0

rainbowprism

Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ok I haven't checked in on this thread in awhile so if this has already been said then forgive me:

God chose for ALL people to come and have relationship with him. In the OT, he doesn't segregate His people. It is only after the Flood, and people have turned away from Him and began to worship idols/false gods that God began to put His plan into action to bring His children back to Him. It was through a particular family that had been predicted would bring back the kingdom to God from Abraham's descendents, when one of his children accepted the calling his name became Isreal. And from this came the concept of a covenant community. Now even though the Isrealites were "chosen" they still dissapointed and messed things up. But the reality is that Jesus opened up the oppurtubnity to all to COME BACK to the Father through a particular set of people that were really floundering on thier own anyways, despite thier 'chosen' status (ie. Pharisees, Sanhedrin). So my point is Jew, Gentile, man, woman...whatever---we are all chosen to have relationship with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brother Owl

Nov 15, 2003
in the world but not of it
✟486.00
Faith
Christian
Hello All

I've always thought God used the Jews as an example for everyone. First as an example of His power to deliver. Second an example of His power to bless. Third an example of how He treats those who Love Him when they are obedient. Fourth an example of His long-suffering and patience. Fifth an example of the consequences of sin and continued rebellion in-spite of His patience. Sixth that in-spite of human frailties He never gives up on us. Seven proof that nothing is impossible with God and He faithful to His word.

Today Israel is still an example and God will show us all He will preform every word He's spoken regarding them that it should come to pass. A continuing example of His Love, Commitment and long-suffering patience towards us all.

God is Love!

Upvote 0

Brother Owl

Nov 15, 2003
in the world but not of it
✟486.00
Faith
Christian
I figured I'd better look at what the scriptures have to say (the heck with what I think) about the Jewish people:

Deu 7:6 For thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that [are] upon the face of the earth.

Deu 7:7 The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye [were] the fewest of all people:

Deu 7:8 But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

But also...

Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Gal 3:29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Back to what I think: God did choose the Jew and through the Jew extended the status of chosen and peculiar and priesthood to all those who trust in Christ and serve Him as Lord.

God is Love!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

shawn_h76

Christianos
Jul 9, 2004
✟529.00
Faith
Christian
The church is the isreal of God spiritually.

galatians 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

galatians 3:9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

galatians 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Kau2a,serapha has given you a very good answer.I just wish to endorse it.After God had chosen Mary and Joseph as the earthly parents for Our Lord,the seal was set.The Israelites were the chosen people of God and still are.But Christians who follow Jesus back to God,are His Sons and Daughters.Sincere greetings from Emmy,a sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

wsgm

Aug 1, 2004
Auburn, Alabama
Visit site
✟7,776.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
God chose a people for Himself for the same reason He does everything: For His own glory. That was His plan. He chose Israel, not because they were good - the OT tells us they were rebellious and stiff-necked - but because He wanted to show His paitence, grace, and love. Through Abraham, all nations would be blessed (Jesus). This was God's plan of redemption - to save a people for Himself. That was His plan in the OT (He chose Israel and made them His people), and it is His plan in the NT (He chose some from every nation and made them His Church). He could have chosen everyone, but He didn't. I don't know why for sure, but my guess is that He wanted contrast His people against the world - He wanted a black backdrop for the light of His glorious grace. Would we appreciate a gift that everyone got? Would we appreciate heaven if there was no hell?

Upvote 0