MissourA
✟11,979.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Singing a hymn in church---seriously. I had a cold one Sunday and didn't feel like singing. A lady opened up a hymnal, found the hymn, slid down the pew and gave me the hymnal and then glared at me. Don't really remember seeing THAT in the BIBLE. Maybe under making joyfull noise:) Should have blown my nose like a honker (joyfull noise?).......hmmmm.

Upvote 0

C.F.W. Walther

May 11, 2005
MissourA
✟11,979.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Luthers Rose said:
Leitourgia Divina adiaphora non est.

www.gottensdienst.org

I can't get the link to work. Are you saying the Liturgy is NOT adiaphora? If you are then I have to agree. In content it is truly biblical and mandated but in specifics it isn't.

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Radidio said:
I can't get the link to work. Are you saying the Liturgy is NOT adiaphora? If you are then I have to agree. In content it is truly biblical and mandated but in specifics it isn't.

Sorry, I corrected the link but the right page isn't coming up...don't know what the deal is. Yes...the liturgy is NOT adiaphora.

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
Luthers Rose said:
What do you mean by "form"?

hmmmm, let's see.

TLH 5, TLH 15

LW 136 (Divine Service I), LW 158 (DS II, 1st Setting), LW 178 (DS II, 2nd Setting)

Luther's Deutsche Masse (DS III, LW p, 197)

The last one is quite different liturgically from the "normal DS".

So which one is the Divine Service, if it is not adiaphoron [singular Latin form]? And this doesn't address the Swedish, and other Scandanavian services.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
filosofer said:
hmmmm, let's see.

TLH 5, TLH 15

LW 136 (Divine Service I), LW 158 (DS II, 1st Setting), LW 178 (DS II, 2nd Setting)

Luther's Deutsche Masse (DS III, LW p, 197)

The last one is quite different liturgically.

So which one is the Divine Service, if it is not adiaphoron [singular latin form]?

OK, thanks.

Well, its no secret I am not crazy about some of forms used by Lutherans today...but to say the forms may vary does not make the liturgy adiaphora, does it?

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran

The reason I note this point is that we have to be sure we are fighting the right battles. If we don't recognize the difference between what is essential and what is "indifferent" (adiaphora), then we play into Satan's hand by diverting from what God has given the Church to do.

If we fight over adiaphora, in the end we can fight against everyone/everything, and form our own church body, where everyone is exactly like us - I think that is part of the Great Commission, ultra-conservative style. ... I think that is found either in Matthew 29:38 or Hesitations 4:12... ya'll can look it up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luthers Rose said:
Hey filo...when I quote you my posts are all red and green...like Christmas. :p

Thats because of your cheerful diposition Rose.

Yer really a "peach" err I mean a "Rose"

Adiaphora! Going to church on a Wednesday instead of Sunday? I would sure miss Sunday service though. :preach:

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This has been quite a discussion so far. Rose and filo commandeered the thread for about 8 threads straight. Let's keep it going. For those of us who might be vocabularly challenged the word Adiaphora means that it is neither prohibited nor commanded by scripture.

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
SLStrohkirch said:
...the word Adiaphora means that it is neither prohibited nor commanded by scripture.

Well, technically not.

Adiaphora means "things indifferent" (adiaphoron is the singular), and refers to those things that are neither commanded nor prohibited in Scripture.

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
filosofer said:

Well, technically not.

Adiaphora means "things indifferent" (adiaphoron is the singular), and refers to those things that are neither commanded nor prohibited in Scripture.

Aghhh he's like me. He wants to be technical about it. Hey filo, if your wife says the time is 8:00 do you ever correct her and say "no, its 7:58", or "No it's 8:02".

;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.