The straight dope on doping (if a sports news topic is OK here)

Drug testing

• Should cover all sports

• Should only cover contact or Olympic sports

• Is unnecessary

• Who cares?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Has anyone here heard of the MLB steroids scandal? I heard about Ken Caminiti on the news :mad: , and there are other players I've seen while watching games who look or act as if they are using steroids or amphetamines. :mad:
In my opinion it is cheating and really bad for all involved, in the long view of things. :mad:
I think the Commissioner's Office should quit being subservient to the player's unions and begin mandatory drug testing and punishments for offenders.
Mandatory testing is good enough for the Olympics, the NBA, and the NFL.
It should also be extended to baseball. :mad:
Also, the police should be involved since steroids (as well as amphetamines) are illegal drugs in all but a few circumstances.

strathyboy

Jan 30, 2002
Visit site
✟1,376.00
I'll leave aside the fact that most of the drugs used would be illegal. When I watch a sporting event, I want to see exceptional people doing what they do best, and it spoils the experience to know that they can only do it because they are using drugs.
Secondly, this sets a terrible example for younger kids, many of whom idolize sports heroes. If the kids all find out that you can take drugs to make you stronger and faster, and find out that their heroes in sports take these drugs, it could have devastating effects.
In any case, however, in order for baseball to implement any sort of testing program for these illegal substances, they have to have the approval of the players. That's right: only if players agree to be tested can they be tested. Sounds pretty dumb to me.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Good points there. I think there should be a mandatory testing rule. After all, you would think the *honest* players that did NOT use steroids or amphetamines would agree with that.
BTW do you think Barry Bonds is or was on steroids?
I do, from observation. :mad:

Upvote 0

strathyboy

Jan 30, 2002
Visit site
✟1,376.00
Originally posted by Susan

BTW do you think Barry Bonds is or was on steroids?
I do, from observation. :mad:

I would like to believe that he's not on steroids, since it's exciting to see someone hit large numbers of home runs. I imagine there would be tremendous disappointment in the sporting world if it was found that he is, or was, on steroids.
I'm not sure. I think, until proven otherwise, I'll give Barry the benefit of the doubt on this one, although one has to wonder how Barry suddenly became the home-run hitting wonder that we see today. (I know he has always been something of a power hitter, but he's pushing 37 or 38 right now, and your average baseball player doesn't become better upon hitting the late 30's).

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You are absolutely right.
BTW they need to test for amphetamines too. Like in 2000, there was this game between the Dodgers and Angels. A huge brawl started, the result of Dodger pitcher Chan Ho Park physically battering the opposing pitcher, Tim Belcher, when Belcher began walking to first base.
The claim went around that Belcher used an ethnic slur and hence so aggravated the opposing pitcher that he just *had* to punch and kick Belcher.
I was watching that game, and I think drugs had more to do with it: when the cameraman did a closeup shot of the Dodger pitcher's face shortly before the fight, he looked pale and glassy-eyed. I later read that both, as well as aggression, are signs of methamphetamine use.
I'm not saying he used the drugs, but I'm saying that sure looked suspicious. :(

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So what do you think about that? since the latest blizzard of new topics, this one headed for the back page rather quickly.
This is sort of a -bump-
What do you think about drugs and drug testing in baseball?
Is testing needed or no?
Would a reasonable starting move before mandatory testing be for umpires to immediately eject players who appeared to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, as in the above situation?
I want your opinions. . . :)

Upvote 0