Co Durham
✟406.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Catholic church has Seven Sacraments most Protestant Churches Have Two

The Catholic Church says they are supernatural Gifts that have Grace and Power

The Protestant Churches say they are symbolic human acts.

The Bible is unclear on the subject, there is no formal mention of the sacraments and even the lords supper and baptism are not well explained.

Where is the word sacrament even mentioned in the bible - its not!

So how does the Catholic church know there are supernatural sacraments and that there is 7 and not 2?

If you want to know the secrets of the Seven Sacraments Please PM Me -

only if your brave enough to truely desire to find the biblical truth of Jesus Christ.

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
catlick said:
why, whats funny - is it something I said?

If you want to know the secrets of the Seven Sacraments Please PM Me -

only if your brave enough to truely desire to find the biblical truth of Jesus Christ.

It just gave me this weird image of this crazy spelunker about to dive in some pitch-black cave or something.

There's nothing wrong with the post itself it just gives me a funny image. ^_^

Upvote 0

catlick

Aug 23, 2004
Co Durham
✟406.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well I guess it is kind of a exploration through the dark recesses of the old testiment but its well worth it when we discover a wonderful abundant light in the new that shows us the heavenly tresure that is more than enough to raise the whole of mankind out of the poverty of sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Dogsbody said:
In the Church of England, there are two sacraments - Holy Baptism and Holy Communion.

Some Anglican churches make a thing out of 'sacramental rites' - confirmation, marriage, ordination etc., but these are not sacraments.

Yes, Anglicans/Episcopalians believe that Jesus is present with the Eucharist consubstantially. Lutherans also tend to believe in some spiritual presence of Christ, although both Church's have abandoned the other 5 sacraments altogether, sharing common roots in the Protestant reformation.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
catlick said:
3 Questions

How do you know there are only two sacraments and not seven like in catholicism?

That's what the church teaches

Would you prefer to have two or seven or woud you be happy with what the lord ordained?

Happy with two - not particularly a sacramentalist and am happy with HC once a month or so.

How many did the lord ordain?
Two, of course, unless you have a special definition for 'ordain'

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Rising_Suns said:
Yes, Anglicans/Episcopalians believe that Jesus is present with the Eucharist consubstantially.

That is contrary to the article of faith concerning the Lord's Supper:

Transubstantiation (the change of the substance of the bread and wine) in the Supper of the Lord cannot be proved from holy Scripture, but is repugnant to the plain teaching of Scripture. It overthrows the nature of a sacrament and has given rise to many superstitions.
The body of Christ is given, taken and eaten in the Supper only in a heavenly and spiritual manner. The means by which the body of Christ is received and eaten in the Supper is faith.
The sacrament of the Lord's Supper was not instituted by Christ to be reserved, carried about, lifted up or worshipped.

Upvote 0

catlick

Aug 23, 2004
Co Durham
✟406.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sorry more Questions

"That's what the church teaches"

I thought protestantism is based upon the teaching of the bible not the teaching of any particular denomination - am I wrong?

"Happy with two - not particularly a sacramentalist and am happy with HC once a month or so."

So if the lord said no there are 3 sacraments - THAT YOU MUST HAVE would you still be happy with two?

"Two, of course, unless you have a special definition for 'ordain'

Isnt Marriage a sacrament?

"What God has Joined together"

If God himself joins the marriage, surely its a sacrament?

Sorry I just want to add a request Can you tell me what a Sacrament is - what it means?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
catlick said:
Sorry more Questions

I thought protestantism is based upon the teaching of the bible not the teaching of any particular denomination - am I wrong?

Anglicanism is based on scripture, reason, tradition and experience. I don't think the word 'sacrament' appears in the bible (I might be wrong though). We hold baptism and communion to be sacraments because Christ himself instituted them.

So if the lord said no there are 3 sacraments - THAT YOU MUST HAVE would you still be happy with two?

What do you think?

Isnt Marriage a sacrament?

"What God has Joined together"

If God himself joins the marriage, surely its a sacrament?

Jesus didn't marry.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Dogsbody said:
That is contrary to the article of faith concerning the Lord's Supper:

Transubstantiation (the change of the substance of the bread and wine) in the Supper of the Lord cannot be proved from holy Scripture, but is repugnant to the plain teaching of Scripture. It overthrows the nature of a sacrament and has given rise to many superstitions.
The body of Christ is given, taken and eaten in the Supper only in a heavenly and spiritual manner. The means by which the body of Christ is received and eaten in the Supper is faith.
The sacrament of the Lord's Supper was not instituted by Christ to be reserved, carried about, lifted up or worshipped.

That's what Consubstantiation is; that Christ is present together with the bread.

May I ask, what article of faith are you quoting from? (if you quote things, it's always important to include links). I cannot say it doesn't concern me that this article calls the Catholic dogma of Transubstantiation "repugnant", and further lacks any supporting evidence. Such an explanation is difficult to take seriously...and this is your article of faith?

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Rising_Suns said:
That's what Consubstantiation is; that Christ is present together with the bread.

May I ask, what article of faith are you quoting from? (if you quote things, it's always important to include links). I cannot say it doesn't concern me that this article calls the Catholic dogma of Transubstantiation "repugnant", and further lacks any supporting evidence. Such an explanation is difficult to take seriously...and this is your article of faith?

We believe that Christ is present when 2 or 3 are gathered in his name - whether there's HC or not.

It's from the 39 Articles of Faith of the Church of England...

39 Articles

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Dogsbody said:
We believe that Christ is present when 2 or 3 are gathered in his name - whether there's HC or not.

So do we. This is a straw man.

It's from the 39 Articles of Faith of the Church of England...

39 Articles

Thank you.

Upvote 0

catlick

Aug 23, 2004
Co Durham
✟406.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"Anglicanism is based on scripture, reason, tradition and experience. I don't think the word 'sacrament' appears in the bible (I might be wrong though). We hold baptism and communion to be sacraments because Christ himself instituted them."

Sacrament does apear in scripture

Chrisat himself instituted the out pouring of the holy spirit "confirmation" do you believe this is a sacrament?

"What do you think?"

I think I would want three but how about you?

"Jesus didn't marry."

But he did - he married his bride - the church!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.