The Passion is only viewable in subtitles???

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's in Latin and Aramaic. I heard someone say parts were in Greek (not sure about that)
Gibson wanted the movie to have authenticity so the actors had to learn the languages. Originally he did not even want to use subtitles. But eventually gave in. I've heard of no plans for it to be dubbed.

Upvote 0

Marissa

Feb 15, 2004
✟16,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm afraid not. Mel Gibson thought it would lose some of it's reality if we were hearing it in modern english so it was filmed in the languages of the time. Mainly latin and greek I believe.

Originally he didn't even want the sub-titles. He only budged on that because of the complaints that some would use the movie as a reason for anti-semitism and he wanted it to be clear that some of the jews were on the side of Jesus.

No info about the DVDs has come out yet, but it's Gibsons call and I doubt he'll change his decision for the DVD.

Upvote 0

Mylinkay Asdara

Voice of Li'Adan
Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Pagan
I hope so. My mom really wants to see it (even though she knows it's probably going to cause an attack from her MS because she'll get so emotional and emotions (stress, saddness, depression, ect) tend to trigger her attacks) the only thing that sucks is that she won't know what anyone is saying - she'll only have the visual if there are subtitles because her eye nerves have been badly effected by the MS and she can no longer make out even the largest of words on screen or paper.

Upvote 0

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Truthfully according to some who have seen it, subtitles aren't really necessary. From what I understand getting Mel to agree to the subtitles wasn't easy. And a quality dubbing would probably be fairly expensive. Anything's possible, of course but Mel's desire for this movie to be authentic has been very strong. I tend to agree with Marissa.

Upvote 0