Toronto
✟2,254.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
Not sure if this has been posted or not as it's almost ten years old, but it's pretty entertaining.

http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/anti-tales.html

Abortion is a highly personal decision that many women are sure they'll never have to think about until they're suddenly faced with an unexpected pregnancy. But this can happen to anyone, including women who are strongly anti-choice. So what does an anti-choice woman do when she experiences an unwanted pregnancy herself? Often, she will grin and bear it, so to speak, but frequently, she opts for the solution she would deny to other women -- abortion.
In the spring of 2000, I collected the following anecdotes directly from abortion doctors and other clinic staff in North America, Australia, and Europe. The stories are presented in the providers' own words, with minor editing for grammar, clarity, and brevity. Names have been omitted to protect privacy. . .

acropolis

so rad
Jan 29, 2008
✟20,293.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I liked this one:

"We have anti-choice women in for abortions all the time. Many of them are just naive and ignorant until they find themselves with an unwanted pregnancy. Many of them are not malicious. They just haven't given it the proper amount of thought until it completely affects them. They can be judgmental about their friends, family, and other women. Then suddenly they become pregnant. Suddenly they see the truth. That it should only be their own choice. Unfortunately, many also think that somehow they are different than everyone else and they deserve to have an abortion, while no one else does."

Upvote 0

Ryal Kane

Senior Veteran
Apr 21, 2004
Hamilton
✟13,720.00
Faith
Atheist
That's an awesome article. It's baffling how effective cognitive dissonance can be.

Not just effective but breathtaking.

""A 21 year old woman and her mother drove three hours to come to their appointment for an abortion. They were surprised to find the clinic a 'nice' place with friendly, personable staff. While going over contraceptive options, they shared that they were Pro-Life and disagreed with abortion, but that the patient could not afford to raise a child right now. Also, she wouldn't need contraception since she wasn't going to have sex until she got married, because of her religious beliefs. Rather than argue with them, I saw this as an opportunity for dialogue, and in the end, my hope was that I had planted a 'healing seed' to help resolve the conflict between their beliefs and their realities." (Physician, Washington State)

But...but...but....:doh:

Upvote 0

acropolis

so rad
Jan 29, 2008
✟20,293.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Lots of people are hypocrites.

I fail to see the point.

the point is that when these women are actually in the situation, they understand it is not always the best route to have the child. which implies that some, if not all, pro-lifers have not really placed themselves in the position of someone who is pregnant at a bad time in life without the resources to raise a child.

Upvote 0

SaintInChicago

Oct 16, 2007
✟1,228.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
the point is that when these women are actually in the situation, they understand it is not always the best route to have the child. which implies that some, if not all, pro-lifers have not really placed themselves in the position of someone who is pregnant at a bad time in life without the resources to raise a child.
Well not everyone agrees with your assessment, and you shouldn't just talk down like your opinion is automatically right. Some would say they lack the support they need from others to raise the child. Some might say that if it weren't for people constantly enabling and suggesting they can't raise the child that she wouldn't even be going that way. Some might say that society stigmatizes child birth as 'the end of your life' and all the fun, so people are afraid their life will be ruined if they have a child. You shouldn't be so narrow minded in your assessment of the situation. Not everyone believes what you believe: have you stopped to think of that?

Upvote 0

Allegory

Aug 10, 2007
Toronto
✟2,254.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
Well if they're standing outside of abortion clinics protesting abortion on a regular basis and then go in for an abortion themselves I don't really see how else you can evaluate that.

This isn't like saying "I hate people who park on the side of the road" and then parking on the side of the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Well if they're standing outside of abortion clinics protesting abortion on a regular basis and then go in for an abortion themselves I don't really see how else you can evaluate that.

This isn't like saying "I hate people who park on the side of the road" and then parking on the side of the road.

Replace the 'anyone' in what he said with 'many' (which is what I thought they were saying to begin with), and I'll agree. But to say all... well how many pro-life women got a baby, really didn't want it (I use want, but this does include things such as not being able to care for it, afford it, ect.), but had it anyways? I would dare say at least one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
It has nothing to do with the fact that they disagree with me. It's pretty clear that people who protest abortion clinics and then have abortions are rationalizing hypocrites who deny reality, at least on that specific issue. What else could they be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

Sometimes I like to forget that there isn't just the option of having and not having the baby too. :)

Upvote 0

SaintInChicago

Oct 16, 2007
✟1,228.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
It has nothing to do with the fact that they disagree with me. It's pretty clear that people who protest abortion clinics and then have abortions are rationalizing hypocrites who deny reality, at least on that specific issue. What else could they be?

Really it seems to be more with the fact they disagree with you. Why do you judge them so much? Cut with the overly sanctimonious condescension. Why so self-righteous and judgmental?

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Really it seems to be more with the fact they disagree with you. Why do you judge them so much? Cut with the overly sanctimonious condescension. Why so self-righteous and judgmental?

Can you explain the apparent contradiction, then, between protesting outside abortion clinics and having an abortion?

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate
May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think that these are probably pretty rare cases. I like to think that most people do try to follow their own moral beliefs.

But I bet that many of the women who end up regretting their abortions are often these women who acted against their moral beliefs to get that abortion in the first place. Other than the poor women who are or feel forced into getting an abortion by their boyfriend or family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sometimes I like to forget that there isn't just the option of having and not having the baby too. :)

I don't care how much you twist it - Schrodinger's baby is just not going to fit in that box.

What options are there, other than giving birth and not giving birth? Projectile vomiting the little sprog across the room?

Upvote 0