Bottom Buzzer

Jun 28, 2005
✟343.00
Faith
Christian
The Ocean

I love the ocean . I’m born by the ocean, the stormy Arctic Ocean. When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time on the shore, dreaming. Listening to the beat of the waves always brought peace to an energetic little punk. I also liked the smell of salt water; it was in a way something living about it. Also, to swim in saltwater is not like swimming in freshwater, it’s like the difference between a firm handshake and a grudging one. And not to mention the size and the horizon in the remote distance that rather persuade to use of the fantasy. I was watching the boats courses, and especially the big ships that I knew was heading for the distant skies, and I could see storms and seamanship, New York and Singapore. I dreamt I was sailing.

I read about Vasco da Gama, Columbus and Leiv Eriksson who actually discovered America, but who nobody south in Europe ever heard about, except they I have talked with. And Thor Heyerdahl, the Norwegian Indiana Jones, doesn’t have a more envious admirer than me in the whole world. I also liked the atlas and the old maps with sea serpents and lands that don’t look quite like those we find today, but they had a fertile imagination if not satellites and navigation equipment.

When I was almost grown up, I at last got my self a ship, fifty feet or sixteen meters solid woodwork. A boat made of recycled plastic bags was never considered no matter how practical that might be. I was sailing. The first year it was weekend trips and after a while whole weeks. The second year the action range was considerable extended and it was then it happened; I sailed into a terrible storm. The ocean that I love washed merciless over the ship, and as the good sailor I was, I did not really know what to do. When the boat was grated as a carrot up and down on the reef, I immediately regretted that I hadn’t arranged the license for the radio telephone and I was sure I was going to die.

But I was famous for my luck and not my judgement, so the end of the story was happy. A cargo ship, one of the big one, spotted me on the radar and called up the coast guard. Luckily I had signed a membership before my voyage and the insurance was very good. The profit was spent on a mountain hotel, but it is the ocean I love.

As time went by I also had the good fortune to be rescued for eternity, and when I think of the effort a average European church put into reaching the lost, am I tempted to call also that an incredible luck.

When I now go in the service, in conferences and such things, it’s like being on the shore. I love the sound of worship; it always brings a peace that last for a long time. Neither can I live without the quivering that turns into palpitation and breath difficulties when God is revealing Himself. I’m happy when I’m bathing in Gods presence. Nothing can ever compare to that. I also like to watch the evangelists’ boats, and specially the big ones that are heading for the distant skies. I have a well developed imagination and I’m only alternately humble, so I have many times seen myself in front of the big crowds in Africa and Asia. But dreaming is far from the same as sailing.

Later, when I was introduced to the book of books, I soon figured out that it was much more than a collection exciting stories. And during the deepening in a strenuous bible school year, I learnt that in the bible is everything you need of maps and manuals to maneuver the ship, and that the things we don’t already understand, will be revealed by the spirit when we leave the dock. So we have with out doubt first-class navigation equipment that the world never has seen the like of, but no school I know, make the sailor find his sea-legs.

When I couldn’t wait any more, and still was a kind of green, I signed on a full time ministry, and the boat was of the good old sort. No newfangled plasticevangelisationsubstituteactivity or what I should call it... The sophisticated tactic was spreading the news face to face, on the streets, in bars, in the neighborhood, or wherever the occasion was given. No fiddlesticks, but straight to the point, popping the question. The action range has been extended to foreign countries, and sometimes I’ve experienced that The Lord have asked me to throw the net on the other side. Never because I exercise an especially good seamanship, but because my God is interested in rescuing everybody from the abyss. And every day, of cause, I benefit from what I’ve learned on the shore, and the maps I’m dependent on to reach the goal, avoid danger and to find a harbor of refuge when the storms are coming. Nevertheless, I’m the kind of person that runs the boat on the reef from time to time, but I have always been found by one of the big ones. Sometimes I’ve also been spotted by they who love to talk around, but that’s the way it is these days.

I have in my circles, become notorious for living in Gods Grace, and with my character I could never do it different, so it’s ok. I also have membership in a good church and in the angels’ coast guard. The insurance is heavenly, and I will never sign off, cause I love the sea God have given me.

Then the conclusion have to be that God have a ocean for all of us to sail, and it’s at last seven of them, but probably many more. And He really needs us, also we who are not so cool and who maybe need glasses to find the mustard seed. It not so hard to understand why He needs everybody, when we know that billions of they Jesus loves and faced death for are on their way to hell. We don’t like to think of it, but it’s true anyway.

Bon voyage!

(Pardon my lousy English! I would be grateful for corrections)