The New and Improved No-Straw-Man Challenge

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Men are not worthless worms. Jesus commanded us to work while it is day (John 9:4), This is our time to work (in the years we have on earth) and make a difference.

Re-read Matthew 6:10. Jesus commands his disciples to pray that God's will be done on earth as it is in heaven. If God did not need man's permission to intervene, then why is Jesus asking His disciples to pray this? Imagine that there is a practical purpose involved in Jesus's command.

Don't take this personally: You (and many others) are so stuck in your Calvinism/Monergism/Determinism/Fatalism that you cannot understand the multiple scriptures that contradict your nonsense such as Matthew 6:10 which show man's needed involvement.

Imagine that God in His Sovereignty, requires man's cooperation in order to accomplish His purposes on earth. What scriptures do you have to show otherwise?
Okay. You have an anemic view of God who needs to subordinate Himself to me. So much for have all authority.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟327,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I do believe that God controls all things. I object to puppet master because that leaves man with an excuse. I think God can control what He wants and still leave men responsible for their actions, either good or bad.
Ok. If we agree that man is responsible for his actions, left in the the hand of his own counsel as it's been said in Scripture and in teachings such that he possesses a freedom with which he can move towards the good or towards evil, nearer to God or further from Him, such that he can resist and say no to grace, to God, even as grace is an essential factor in his saying yes, then we'd have a great deal of agreement. In any case, that's the only way the bible makes sense to me.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟137,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Men are not worthless worms. Jesus commanded us to work while it is day (John 9:4), This is our time to work (in the years we have on earth) and make a difference.

Re-read Matthew 6:10. Jesus commands his disciples to pray that God's will be done on earth as it is in heaven. If God did not need man's permission to intervene, then why is Jesus asking His disciples to pray this? Imagine that there is a practical purpose involved in Jesus's command.

Don't take this personally: You (and many others) are so stuck in your Calvinism/Monergism/Determinism/Fatalism that you cannot understand the multiple scriptures that contradict your nonsense such as Matthew 6:10 which show man's needed involvement.

Imagine that God in His Sovereignty, requires man's cooperation in order to accomplish His purposes on earth. Matthew 6:10 supports that. What scriptures do you have to show otherwise?
Okay. You have an anemic view of God who needs to subordinate Himself to me. So much for have all authority.
Again per Matthew 6:10, God requires man's cooperation for God's will to be done on earth. It is not surprising that you mock that as being an anemic view of God when your mentor's (Calvin) view of man has us all as puppets (see Post 5).

This is your OP. How about you answering the bulk of my posts (identifying the points you object to and your reasoning) instead of doing yet another dismissive drive by one-liner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 28:18.
That’s it? You still refuse to answer my question and you think Matthew 28:18 says that God controls everyone 24/7? I feel like you’re not even trying to engage in the discussion you’re just tossing out a verse that doesn’t even remotely support Calvin’s quote. So I’ll ask a third time did God govern David’s will in his lust for Bathsheba and in the murder of Uriah? This is the third time I’ve had to ask this question because you keep refusing to answer it.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Ok. If we agree that man is responsible for his actions, left in the the hand of his own counsel as it's been said in Scripture and in teachings such that he possesses a freedom with which he can move towards the good or towards evil, nearer to God or further from Him, such that he can resist and say no to grace, to God, even as grace is an essential factor in his saying yes, then we'd have a great deal of agreement. In any case, that's the only way the bible makes sense to me.
The difference is that you see God doing nothing as just that…nothing. I see God doing nothing as part of His plan. Sometimes God letting man follow his natural course as a fulfillment of His plan. Other times, as we see throughout scripture, He intervenes. Either way, whatever happens is ultimately God’s decision.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That’s it? You still refuse to answer my question and you think Matthew 28:18 says that God controls everyone 24/7? I feel like you’re not even trying to engage in the discussion you’re just tossing out a verse that doesn’t even remotely support Calvin’s quote. So I’ll ask a third time did God govern David’s will in his lust for Bathsheba and in the murder of Uriah? This is the third time I’ve had to ask this question because you keep refusing to answer it.
Govern would indicate pulling strings. God had a purpose in not stopping it, though.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟137,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Govern would indicate pulling strings. God had a purpose in not stopping it, though.
Govern (i.e. pulling strings) is the term Calvin uses for God controlling our wills and movements - see Post 5. Again Calvin affirms we are all puppets. So according to Calvinist doctrine, now you as an impotent human being are left considering why God pulls certain strings.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Govern (i.e. pulling strings) is the term Calvin uses for God controlling our wills and movements - see Post 5. Again Calvin affirms we are all puppets. So according to Calvinist doctrine, now you as an impotent human being are left considering why God pulls certain strings.
Since Calvin never used “puppets”, your straw man is noted.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well wait a minute let’s back up to Proverbs 21:1.

“The king’s heart is like channels of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He wishes.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭21‬:‭1‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Now you also said this

I do believe that God controls all things. I object to puppet master because that leaves man with an excuse. I think God can control what He wants and still leave men responsible for their actions, either good or bad.

So you’re saying that God didn’t govern David’s actions in his lust for Bathsheba and the murder of Uriah, then you say “God controls all things” then you say that He controls what He wants and still leaves men responsible for their actions. So you’re not being consistent in your argument here. This is what always happens on this subject about God’s sovereignty when debating with Calvinists, they always backpedal. In one statement they’ll say God is in control of absolutely everything, which is precisely what John Mullally quoted Calvin writing, then when sin is brought into the equation all of that disappears and suddenly God is not in control of everything. If God allows people to sin then He’s not actually controlling them at that time which means that you can’t say that He controls all things. Either God is in control or us, it can’t be both at the same time. So you cant say that God controls all things if He’s not controlling someone when they sin. If He isn’t controlling someone when they sin then He is not controlling everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well wait a minute let’s back up to Proverbs 21:1.

“The king’s heart is like channels of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He wishes.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭21‬:‭1‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Now you also said this

So you’re saying that God didn’t govern David’s actions in his lust for Bathsheba and the murder of Uriah,
Correct.
then you say “God controls all things” then you say that He controls what He wants and still leaves men responsible for their actions.
Correct.
So you’re not being consistent in your argument here.
Incorrect.
This is what always happens on this subject about God’s sovereignty when debating with Calvinists, they always backpedal.
I haven’t backpedaled.
In one statement they’ll say God is in control of absolutely everything, which is precisely what John Mullally quoted Calvin writing, then when sin is brought into the equation all of that disappears and suddenly God is not in control of everything.
Maybe you missed this.

“The difference is that you see God doing nothing as just that…nothing. I see God doing nothing as part of His plan. Sometimes God letting man follow his natural course as a fulfillment of His plan. Other times, as we see throughout scripture, He intervenes. Either way, whatever happens is ultimately God’s decision.”
If God allows people to sin then He’s not actually controlling them at that time which means that you can’t say that He controls all things.
He is, if He’s not stopping them. It means He has a purpose for what He is actively allowing.
Either God is in control or us, it can’t be both at the same time. So you cant say that God controls all things if He’s not controlling someone when they sin. If He isn’t controlling someone when they sin then He is not controlling everything.
See above.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟327,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The difference is that you see God doing nothing as just that…nothing. I see God doing nothing as part of His plan. Sometimes God letting man follow his natural course as a fulfillment of His plan. Other times, as we see throughout scripture, He intervenes. Either way, whatever happens is ultimately God’s decision.
It's God's decision either way. But for the purpose of salvation I never see Him as doing nothing but rather as doing much: appealing to, calling, informing, prompting, moving-"gracing" us, IOW-without outright determining our destinies. There's room for our freedom and His sovereignty both within His purpose for man and according to His wisdom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟836,551.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you okay with God channeling everyone as long as He doesn’t channel you?
I know, I have been channeled many time, all could have resulted in a wonderful benefit, but I did not cease the opportunities and so it resulted in my failure. They are all learning opportunities. so God will still be providing them. It is not: "Channeling or no channeling", but lots of channeling and some autonomous free will choices by the individual to allow them to fulfill their objective if they can.
It also doesn’t mean that He doesn’t cause and allow a bunch of stuff.

It does address that it’s because of God that we have the peace we have, and He can withdraw His hand and cause calamity.
This world is a huge mess, but also the best world for willing individuals to fulfill their earthly objective. People should cry out: "Where is your God?" so you can show them God living in and through you.
God is maintaining this world to best help us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Some sins God does keep people from doing (He stops providing life to them for one way) but all sins would not help at all in our fulfilling our objective.
Okay. So if He doesn’t, He has a reason.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟137,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Since Calvin never used “puppets”, your straw man is noted.
Your statement that the term "govern" indicates pulling strings only adds credence to the fact that Calvin views people as God's puppets. As much as possible without actually using the term "puppet" Calvin says we are all puppets. It is not my problem that you stubbornly refuse to come to terms with Calvin's writings. If God governs our counsel. will and movements, are we capable of any independent or action? Its not a trick question, the answer is NO.

“We hold that God is the disposer and ruler of all things, –that from the remotest eternity, according to his own wisdom, He decreed what he was to do, and now by his power executes what he decreed. Hence we maintain, that by His providence, not heaven and earth and inanimate creatures only, but also the counsels and wills of men are so governed as to move exactly in the course which he has destined.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 16, Paragraph 8)​

Last edited:
Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟137,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
(It doesn’t)

You’ll have to show from his writings where he used “puppets”. Otherwise, it’s a straw man.
A rose by any other name is a rose. The devil never termed himself a liar, but we know he is.

You refuse to engage with my arguments other than to rudely dismiss them - in this case terming my argument straw man. That seems to be your main strategy of argumentation - and it is wearing very thin for all to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
More stone-walling. You did not engage with my argument other than to say you disagree.
I’ve given many answers throughout this thread on why we aren’t puppets.

Upvote 0