Farmington
✟33,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I found this to be a beautiful description of the church by Edward Drapes (1649)

The Nature of the Church

The nature of this church I shall first handle, which I shall demonstrate to you from the several names that God has given it in the Scriptures:

The House of God

As first, it is called the house of Christ, or “of the living God” (1Ti 3:15). Paul gave many instructions to Timothy how to behave himself in the house of God. God dwelleth in the midst of the church. The church is God’s household (Mat 24:45). Herein may we see the nature of the church to be a compact and united body, a house of living stones (1Pe 2:4). It is not a company of unpolished stones, lying scattered up and down, but a house built up, whose foundation is Christ. Yea, Christ is the cornerstone thereof. It is a household whose master is Christ, Who is the Lord of the family that is called by His name. The children of this household are saints—those that appear in their wedding garment. The servants are the ministers of the gospel, who are placed there to serve the family. Their food is the Word of God, the body and blood of Christ Jesus. From [this house], all unprofitable and wicked servants are to be cast forth. It is a household wherein every son and servant is enrolled by the bond of unity.

The City of God

Secondly, it is the city of God (Psa 46:4), in which city every member is a fellow citizen (Eph 2:19). It is a spiritual city that descends from heaven. It is a flourishing city, whose inhabitants are made glad through that river whose streams flow from the fountain of life. It is a city walled with the almighty power of the Lord Jesus. It is a city defended with an innumerable company of angels whose merchandise is not of gold and silver but of bread and water of life, of glorious garments of needlework, the clothing of whose inhabitants is wrought gold. It is the city of Zion, of which it is said, “Walk about Zion, and go round about her: tell the towers thereof. Mark ye well her bulwarks, consider her palaces; that ye may tell it to the generation following” (Psa 48:12-13). It is a city incorporated, whose citizens have one and the same charter from heaven, whose head is the Lord Jesus, whose foundation and gate of entrance is Christ, in which mercy and truth meet together, righteousness and peace kiss each other.

The Body of Christ

Thirdly, the church of Christ is Christ’s body. Christ is the church’s head. Yea, He is the very life and soul of the church. It is His Spirit which quickens all. It is Christ’s body, consisting of several members. Every one is placed in the body for the service of the whole. Therefore says Paul, “We, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another” (Rom 12:5). It is a “body fitly joined together…compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part,” making increase thereof, edifying itself in love (Eph 4:16). Hence it is that saints are said to live in Christ, and Christ in them.

The Mountain of the Lord

Fourthly, Christ’s church is the mountain of the Lord (Psa 2:6), a mountain looking towards heaven, ascending from the earth; a mountain visible; a city on a hill, which cannot be hid (Mat
5:14).

The Vineyard of the Lord

Fifthly, it is God’s vineyard. “I am the vine, ye are the branches,” says Christ (Joh 15:5). As the branches are all upon one tree, so Christ and His are members all of one body, branches of that stock which is Christ Jesus, Who lops off all withered branches (Joh 15:1-2).

The Garden of Christ

Sixthly, it is Christ’s garden that Christ takes delights in to walk in. “I am come into my garden, my sister, my spouse,” says Christ (Song 5:1). “He feedeth among the lilies” (Song 2:16; 6:3). He delights even in His church to gather His pleasant fruits. It is a walled garden, in which is an everlasting fountain to water and refresh it. It is a garden well-trimmed, continually weeded, wherein are all manner of fruits, both new and old. It is an orchard of precious plants, set by the waterside.

The Tabernacle of God

I might further show you it is God’s tabernacle in this world, moving from place to place till it attains to its own country. It is God’s temple, wherein His holiness dwells (1Co 3:16). His presence is there, the Ark of the Covenant, the mercy-seat, the incense of a sweet-smelling savor unto God, are there. God is prayed to, praised, and admired there. “In the midst of My brethren,” says Christ, “I will sing praise unto Thee” (see Psa 22:22 and Heb 2:12).

The Bride of Christ

It is Christ’s friend, sister, and spouse. She is “the king’s daughter…all glorious within” (Psa 45:13). Her beauty is excellent; her relation is noble. She is a queen (Psa 45:10), united to Christ, the King of kings; and [she is] married unto Him in everlasting bonds of lovingkindness. It is “a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation” (1Pe 2:9), born of God, united under one King, subject to one and the same laws, being a pure and undefiled people. She is Christ’s love, dove, and undefiled one. She is all fair; she is “but5 one” (Song 6:9).

The Flock

It is a flock of sheep feeding together, having one Chief Shepherd, Who separates them from the goats and keeps them from wolves. He knows them by name. It is His sheepfold wherein all His sheep are folded together, not straggling up and down, but in flocks together, that follow the Lord Jesus, knowing His voice (Joh 10).

A Candlestick of Gold

It is a candlestick of pure gold, to hold forth the true light of the Lord.

A Dove

It is a dove, innocent and gentle, feeding on the choicest food.

The Communion of Saints

It is the communion of saints, wherein Christ and saints mutually communicate each to other: Christ to them, light, life, joy, freedom, and glory; they to Christ, praise, honor, reverence, and songs of deliverance. It is a communion wherein they communicate each to other of all those treasures the Father of Spirits has communicated to them.

A Ship, Tossed but Safe

It is a ship, in this world tossed up and down, yet safely arrives at the haven of everlasting glory, through the guidance of their skillful Pilot, the Lord Jesus.

The Lord’s Kingdom of Priests and Kings

It is the kingdom of priests, a kingdom of kings, a kingdom from above, the Kingdom of heaven, whose Head, laws, and inheritance are all heavenly.

Thus, may you see its nature to be spiritual: pure, peaceable, mighty, gracious, and glorious, being one with the Father and the Son, and with each other visibly in the Father and the Son. I might dwell longer here, but I must pass forward.