The Most Important Parable?

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟219,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm going to quote Mark 4: 13, 20

Then Jesus said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? Then how will you understand any of the parables?14The farmer sows the word. 15Some are like the seedsb along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them.16Some are like the seeds sown on rocky ground. They hear the word and at once receive it with joy. 17But they themselves have no root, and they remain for only a season. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.18Others are like the seeds sown among the thorns. They hear the word, 19but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth, and the desire for other things come in and choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.20Still others are like the seeds sown on good soil. They hear the word, receive it, and produce a crop—thirtyfold, sixtyfold, or a hundredfold.”

I recall a Bible teacher state years ago they felt this passage of scripture one should read once a day or at least refer to it often. Why? Because it shows one how the whole Kingdom works and functions. You plant the seed of God's word in your heart and hold fast to it regardless of trials seeking to get you off the WORD. In verse 13 he states you don't understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable. In other words this is the granddaddy of them all.

If you don't understand this you won't understand anything much of what I'm saying. Notice that when you have a trial....doesn't always mean you've done something wrong....could be Satan trying to get the word out of your life. If he can do that he's got you locked into defeat. Notice not having no root in themselves? That tells us we must embrace an attitude we're going to persevere and hang in there. Many good things in the passage but look even at verse 19....the worries of this life.....we're reminded that all of our cares and worries are to be cast upon the Lord, in other words (modern lingo) don't flip out but lock into God's promises.

Dan2255

Nov 1, 2023
Toledo
✟11,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Then Jesus said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? Then how will you understand any of the parables?14The farmer sows the word. 15Some are like the seedsb along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them.16Some are like the seeds sown on rocky ground. They hear the word and at once receive it with joy. 17But they themselves have no root, and they remain for only a season. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.18Others are like the seeds sown among the thorns. They hear the word, 19but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth, and the desire for other things come in and choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.20Still others are like the seeds sown on good soil. They hear the word, receive it, and produce a crop—thirtyfold, sixtyfold, or a hundredfold.”

I recall a Bible teacher state years ago they felt this passage of scripture one should read once a day or at least refer to it often. Why? Because it shows one how the whole Kingdom works and functions. You plant the seed of God's word in your heart and hold fast to it regardless of trials seeking to get you off the WORD. In verse 13 he states you don't understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable. In other words this is the granddaddy of them all.

If you don't understand this you won't understand anything much of what I'm saying. Notice that when you have a trial....doesn't always mean you've done something wrong....could be Satan trying to get the word out of your life. If he can do that he's got you locked into defeat. Notice not having no root in themselves? That tells us we must embrace an attitude we're going to persevere and hang in there. Many good things in the passage but look even at verse 19....the worries of this life.....we're reminded that all of our cares and worries are to be cast upon the Lord, in other words (modern lingo) don't flip out but lock into God's promises.
Christ went on to explain that out of the four hearers the only one he consider his brethren were those that recieved the word. Understood the word and were fruitful. Not everyone that says lord, lord are saved.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟219,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Christ went on to explain that out of the four hearers the only one he consider his brethren were those that recieved the word. Understood the word and were fruitful. Not everyone that says lord, lord are saved.
Nope don't believe that at all. Verse 17 states

17But they themselves have no root, and they remain for only a season. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.

If they did remain for a period of time that means they had LIFE. A season means a period of time., or they were saved.

Upvote 0

Dan2255

Nov 1, 2023
Toledo
✟11,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope don't believe that at all. Verse 17 states

17But they themselves have no root, and they remain for only a season. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.

If they did remain for a period of time that means they had LIFE. A season means a period of time., or they were saved.
Verse 19 says this:
19 Then came to him his mother and his brethren, and could not come at him for the press. 20 And it was told him by certain which said, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee. 21 And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟219,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The understanding of a word is like a seed, until it is planted in good soil fully grown and sowing seed of its self, it remains just a seed, and alone in its meaning.
Not sure what you mean by this. I think with some yes....they hear the word and don't understand it. The whole passage though doesn't seems to me to mean just that......with some the worries of this life, the deceitfulness or riches chock the word. Doesn't mean they didn't understand the word but allowed themselves to be overcome.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟219,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Verse 19 says this:
19 Then came to him his mother and his brethren, and could not come at him for the press. 20 And it was told him by certain which said, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee. 21 And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.
Aren't' you imposing into the text a lot which isn't warranted? So you're saying anyone who is a brethren will do the word of God? In so saying you shut the door that a brethren can't forsake being one? That doesn't work even the way we use language today......Someone may be a son of a Father.....the son goes off the rails......(extreme disobedience) The Father might say "A son of mine will honor their parents." He can say that to the wayward son! Jesus can too. He merely said brethren will hear the word of God and do it.

I'd appreciate thou Dan if you don't make this thread thou a once save always saved place. There's a lot of threads to talk about that. Look at the passage of Mark 4 and there's so much to talk about there that can help people be focused and to be diligent on serving God. To be truthful I find most threads on message boards dealing with not much that would really strengthen one. A thread like this can help to really spiritually develop a person.....thanks if you'd consider it.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟108,944.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what you mean by this. I think with some yes....they hear the word and don't understand it. The whole passage though doesn't seems to me to mean just that......with some the worries of this life, the deceitfulness or riches chock the word. Doesn't mean they didn't understand the word but allowed themselves to be overcome.

how many words does it take to describe one word ... one word can become an endless truth just as the endless truths words are can be summed up in one word ...

Upvote 0

Dan2255

Nov 1, 2023
Toledo
✟11,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aren't' you imposing into the text a lot which isn't warranted? So you're saying anyone who is a brethren will do the word of God? In so saying you shut the door that a brethren can't forsake being one? That doesn't work even the way we use language today......Someone may be a son of a Father.....the son goes off the rails......(extreme disobedience) The Father might say "A son of mine will honor their parents." He can say that to the wayward son! Jesus can too. He merely said brethren will hear the word of God and do it.

I'd appreciate thou Dan if you don't make this thread thou a once save always saved place. There's a lot of threads to talk about that. Look at the passage of Mark 4 and there's so much to talk about there that can help people be focused and to be diligent on serving God. To be truthful I find most threads on message boards dealing with not much that would really strengthen one. A thread like this can help to really spiritually develop a person.....thanks if you'd consider it.
Read psalms 89 and see how the father speaks of his Son and his dynasty.

Upvote 0

Dan2255

Nov 1, 2023
Toledo
✟11,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But when Christ said what he said in verse 19 is pretty plain in who are consider his brethren. As far as the first hearer we see this hearer is lost. The second hearer Christ said Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
And again he said 8 Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: 9 But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.
Now for the third hearer never bring fruit to perfection. Whereas the last hearer recieves the word and understands the word obeys the word and brings forth fruit. Christ said many will stand before him saying Lord have we not cast out devils in your name. Have we not supped with you have we not done many wonderful works in your name. And what does he say to them? Depart from me I never knew you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟219,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
But when Christ said what he said in verse 19 is pretty plain in who are consider his brethren. As far as the first hearer we see this hearer is lost.
Ha, well Dan it's been my experience that when a lot of people claim something is plain it doesn't necessary mean it is that is just the way they want it to be. So verse 15 says this,

"Some are like the seeds along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them."

Sure that can be speaking about salvation words (meaning a person isn't saved) The verse doesn't demand it's only talking about unsaved though. God has given seed promises over many things.....Satan comes to get people out of faith on every level. Could have to do with someone saved too.
The second hearer Christ said Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when....
Hold it slow down now. Let's bring up the verse of the second hearer,

Some are like the seeds sown on rocky ground. They hear the word and at once receive it with joy. 17But they themselves have no root, and they remain for only a season. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.

Point is they received the word with joy and they remained in it for a season. That tells me they were genuine Christians. You can't be in it for a season and then assert that they weren't'.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟219,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It’s not my point to make but my Father’s point to give understanding. I can’t teach you truth by what I say understanding comes only from my Father.
Oh come on Dan just knock it off will ya? Just put down what the verse you quoted says and stop the game of having me to go look it up. I'm not going to respond here that I'm like a school boy and your a teacher now kids look up in the book for the answer. NO. Put down the verse from Ps 89 and tell me what you're trying to say. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟219,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It’s not my point to make but my Father’s point to give understanding. I can’t teach you truth by what I say understanding comes only from my Father.
Also this.....you've been making all sorts of points. If it's God's point to make why are you making them? And forgive me Dan but you seem to come across as one who is convinced there's nothing you share on message boards could be wrong....or need reassessing. It seems you're asserting you most certainly have understanding from God......consider that others do to and you could be wrong.

Upvote 0

Dan2255

Nov 1, 2023
Toledo
✟11,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh come on Dan just knock it off will ya? Just put down what the verse you quoted says and stop the game of having me to go look it up. I'm not going to respond here that I'm like a school boy and your a teacher now kids look up in the book for the answer. NO. Put down the verse from Ps 89 and tell me what you're trying to say. Thanks.
This is what written in psalms 89. You surely see the first born is Christ. If your ember what the apostle said, if you are without chastisement you are a bastard and are not his child.
Where do you think the Apostles received their understanding what we now read as the New Testament was not available then. The Old Testament spoke of Christ the New Testament writings we read today bring the Old Testament scriptures to life.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟219,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is what written in psalms 89. You surely see the first born is Christ. If your ember what the apostle said, if you are without chastisement you are a bastard and are not his child.
Where do you think the Apostles received their understanding what we now read as the New Testament was not available then. The Old Testament spoke of Christ the New Testament writings we read today bring the Old Testament scriptures to life.
So really what's your point? How does this connect to Mk 4, or what we were talking about? I don't get how you even think that connects to OSAS or whatever similar you've sought to bring up.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟68,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the point I get from the parable is that the good soil is the heart that is dealt with.

If you're too close to the way of the world, you can move so the word will not be stolen by the evil one.
If your heart has beneath its surface rocks which hinder spiritual growth - go to the Lord and deal with those rocks.
If your heart is choked by anxieties, you can learn trust and deal with your heart.

The good earth or the good soil for the seed is a heart that is dealt with.
We need time to be with the Lord to deal with all kinds of heart problems.

I would not necessarily write off any person who feels the first three hindering situations
describe their heart towards the kingdom word of Jesus.
Take that hopeless heart to the One whose heart is perfect.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

AlightSeeker

Nov 16, 2023
Canton
✟6,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If you don't understand this you won't understand anything much of what I'm saying. Notice that when you have a trial....doesn't always mean you've done something wrong....could be Satan trying to get the word out of your life. If he can do that he's got you locked into defeat. Notice not having no root in themselves? That tells us we must embrace an attitude we're going to persevere and hang in there. Many good things in the passage but look even at verse 19....the worries of this life.....we're reminded that all of our cares and worries are to be cast upon the Lord, in other words (modern lingo) don't flip out but lock I understand that wealth is deceitful like it says. Serving God and money blinds us. Jesus says our eye can be full of light or it can be full of darkness that may resemble light. He says this when he teaches us not to store treasure on earth and nit to worry about worldly things like the Gentiles do.

I understand part of the parable I think. It says that wealth is deceitful and the cares of this life will cause the word to be unfruitful. Serving God and money blinds us i believe. Jesus says our eye can be full of light or it can be full of darkness that may resemble light. Perhaps we think its light but its really darkness. He says this when he teaches us not to store treasure on earth and not to worry about worldly things like the Gentiles do. Love for this world and money is idolatry. Psalms 115 says that people who make or trust in idols will become like them. They will have eyes but can't see. This is spiritual blindness in my opinion. The thorns seem interesting because Jesus warns us about false teachers. He says by their fruit you will know them. He then asks if men gather fruit from thornbushes. If i connect these two scriptures, to me this seems like he could be saying that false teachers will be deceived by wealth and the word will be unfruitful in them because they care about the concerns of this life. But I'm unsure if that connection is right or not. These idolaters would be spiritually blind too I assume. This makes sense seeing how they're false teachers and they show their blindness by misunderstanding the scriptures.

Upvote 0