Aug 27, 2014
✟434,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I believe the 7 day week came directly from Genesis who told Moses he created the earth in 6 days and on the 7th day He rested. Sounds like He is inside of time, at least during the creation.

Again, the historical record as we have it seems to point to a Babylonian origin of the 7 day week. There's nothing that says that this excludes it having been adopted by the Jews -- in fact, that itself seems pretty likely given that the Jews were present in Babylon since the aftermath of the destruction of the temple by Nebuchadnezzar in 587 BC, and it is the Babylonian exile which is often argued to be the impetus for the compilation of the Torah in the first place (including by professors at Utah State University, interestingly enough), so it would not be at all surprising if it were to show some Babylonian influences.

As far this proving that He is somehow 'inside time', sure. That's as not-revolutionary as saying He is inside His creation by virtue of being described as enlightening the firmament by placing the stars in the sky or some such similar thing. It entirely depends on what you mean when you use such language. In neither case does things being written down in this way determine (for Christians, anyway) some sort of principle regarding God's physical location or physical dimensions (read: saying He places the stars in the sky does not mean that He has hands and is physically moving some 'star material' or whatever to a place in the sky with those big God-hands; that may be how Mormons consider it appropriate to talk about God, but I think most mature Christians understand the use of metaphor and analogy). By the same token, the designation of a 7 day 'week' in which God works and rests in the text of Genesis does not need to be understood literally to mean "seven consecutive 24-hour days" like we understand our weeks to be on a modern calendar. This is why I referenced 2 Peter and Psalm 90, since they both do away with the idea that such limitations apply to God, Who is infinite.

We have acknowledged that our history with the black community is not a perfect one. That is now in the past, and we are now in 2020 and in good standing with those in the black community that want to find the truth and participate in the benefits of the priesthood.

Good for those specific black people then, I guess. My only point is that it is really not good to condemn or talk badly about other churches and certainly about all of the rest of Christianity as though it was so racist when your religion took a much longer time than most others to grasp the basic fact that there's nothing a black person is 'not worthy' of or to be kept from on account of their blackness. And if we look at it historically, there is a case to be made that no mainstream Christian Church prior to the beginning of European colonialism (which only began around 1500 AD) showed any evidence of using the Bible or Christianity more generally to enforce racist prohibitions on black people being in the Church at every level (people may have been racist in other ways, as in the case of St. Moses in Egypt that I believe I mentioned earlier, but oddly it did not stop them from also recognizing black saints, being shepherded by black priests and bishops, etc.; recall that the Kingdom of Axum in what is today Ethiopia and Eritrea was converted to Christianity in the time of King 'Ezana in c. 330 AD, which was approximately twelve centuries before Europeans would begin showing up in Africa with the idea that they can take these 'primitive' peoples' land and goods, or convert them to their religion/church by force...a goal which brought the Italians only ruin when they tried it in Ethiopia not once but twice, first at Adwa in the 1890s and again in the 1930s under Mussolini. Hmm.)

First of all, the church at that time was not a worldwide church. It was primarily a Mediterranean church, with 5 major churches that dominated the Mediterranean and a little beyond.

Hence, again, it can't be used as evidence of a worldwide apostasy! It was written to specific churches in Asia, about issues they were having at those specific locations. As you have rightly surmised, if there were similar problems at other places, they wouldn't come up until later, since it took a while for Christianity to be defused outside of the Mediterranean -- though not as long as some people might think. A lot depended on how close these other places were to the then-centers of Christianity. This is why Christianity was present in what is now Iraq before it was anywhere in Northern Europe. The 2nd century presence of Christianity in Hatra (180 miles NE of Baghdad, in the Nineveh governate), confirmed through a collection of crosses found there (see al-Aswad in The Journal of the Canadian Society for Syriac Studies, Vol. 14, 2014, 79-89) predates the religion's verifiable arrival in Britain sometime in the 4th century (e.g., the presence of a British delegation at the Council of Rimini in 353), in Scotland and Ireland a little while later in the 4th century, etc.

So you're right in so far as this scripture is concerned (as obviously Iraq is not Turkey or Syria, though they are all at least part of Mesopotamia), but "a little beyond" needs to be qualified by establishing when you are establishing your cutoff line for what counts in terms of the spread of the religion.

Secondly, you do make my point.

How?

With all of Asia on the ropes

The seven churches of Asia were literally seven different churches in Asia Minor. They're all relatively close together in one corner of what is now Turkey. That's what the "Asia" means in this context -- Asia Minor, not all of Asia.

800px-Seven_churches_of_asia.svg.png

Heck, places elsewhere on the other side of the of Asia that we know had Christian churches by that time like Galatia (remember St. Paul's epistle to the Galatians?) are not warned in St. John's Revelation. Neither was Antioch, the place where Jesus' followers were first called Christians.

7churches.jpg

Where's your worldwide apostasy now? It can't even be shown to be present in other regions that are right next to the one that is actually receiving the attention in the scripture you are using to supposedly prove your point!

and being warned by Jesus they could be cut off if they don't repent, and Corinth, and Diotrephes (who knows what church he belonged to)

Corinth is a place, and Diotrephes is a person. What are you even trying to say here?

And chaos being produced by hundreds of men and women pulling at the church and the state breathing down its neck, there is certainly a point that can be made for a churchwide apostacy.

No there really can't be. Again, you're ignoring every place that isn't warned in St. John's Revelation. What about them? And I didn't even mention the other places where Christianity was in the first century (i.e., contemporaneous with the writing of Revelation), like Alexandria in Egypt, or India. What about them? What about Cyprus? There are an awful lot of places that aren't addressed directly in this warning.

Can you tell me which church hold the "keys of the kingdom of God" today?

Can you tell me what this has to do with with anything in my reply?

Not necessary to visit the past again and again and again. We have acknowledged our imperfections, so move forward with us into a brighter day of understanding and hope.

I'm not going anywhere with you or your religion.

Move with us into the 21st century and witness a community that is growing and vibrant and a light unto the world.

I'm already well aware of Christianity, thank you.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The priesthood was lost due to corruption:

(New Testament | Acts 20:28 - 31)

28 ¶ Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
I'm not sure if I'm following this or not.

Christ's Church was corrupted, but it was still Christ's church, with people in it who served God and loved him enough to keep his commandments?

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The priesthood was lost due to corruption:

(New Testament | Acts 20:28 - 31)

28 ¶ Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
I think we also want to keep in mind that the passage from Acts may not be true, since Paul says some things that are not true, as we talked about earlier.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not necessary to visit the past again and again and again. We have acknowledged our imperfections, so move forward with us into a brighter day of understanding and hope. Move with us into the 21st century and witness a community that is growing and vibrant and a light unto the world.
It is good to acknowledge that there were imperfections in our group in the past.
What imperfections do we see in our group today?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if I'm following this or not.

Christ's Church was corrupted, but it was still Christ's church, with people in it who served God and loved him enough to keep his commandments?
Jesus compared the two churches:

(New Testament | Matthew 13:24 - 30)

24 ¶ Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
(New Testament | Matthew 13:36 - 43)

36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.
37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

This is the two churches one of Christ and one of the devil. Everyone belongs to one or the other. That being said, there are those who hold the priesthood of God and those who deny the power thereof.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus compared the two churches:

(New Testament | Matthew 13:24 - 30)

24 ¶ Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
(New Testament | Matthew 13:36 - 43)

36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.
37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

This is the two churches one of Christ and one of the devil. Everyone belongs to one or the other. That being said, there are those who hold the priesthood of God and those who deny the power thereof.
I'm still not sure if I'm understanding you correctly.

Is this what you're saying?

There have always been two churches on Earth, at least since the time Jesus started the true church about 2,000 years ago.
Shortly after Jesus' resurrection, Satan sowed tares into the field of the true church, making Christ's Church a mixture of wheat and tares.
Because the true church was then a mixture of wheat and tares, God took the priesthood away from the true church.
Starting at the time of Joseph, God separated the wheat out from the tares, and restored the priesthood.
Since the LDS church today doesn't have tares in it, it can have the priesthood.

Is that the story?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I'm still not sure if I'm understanding you correctly.

Is this what you're saying?

There have always been two churches on Earth, at least since the time Jesus started the true church about 2,000 years ago.
Shortly after Jesus' resurrection, Satan sowed tares into the field of the true church, making Christ's Church a mixture of wheat and tares.
Because the true church was then a mixture of wheat and tares, God took the priesthood away from the true church.
Starting at the time of Joseph, God separated the wheat out from the tares, and restored the priesthood.
Since the LDS church today doesn't have tares in it, it can have the priesthood.

Is that the story?
No, there are tares in every church including the LDS Church, Satan wants to have all of us. Jesus had to pray for Peter because Satan wanted him, and Jesus even called Peter Satan at one point. Satan is very tricky so we have to be very careful and pray always. We need to overcome the world. Once a person has the priesthood they can lose it:

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:34 - 46)

34 Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?
35 Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—
36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.
37 That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.
38 Behold, ere he is aware, he is left unto himself, to kick against the pricks, to persecute the saints, and to fight against God.
39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.
40 Hence many are called, but few are chosen.
41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;
42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—
43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;
44 That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death.
45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.
46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, there are tares in every church including the LDS Church, Satan wants to have all of us. Jesus had to pray for Peter because Satan wanted him, and Jesus even called Peter Satan at one point. Satan is very tricky so we have to be very careful and pray always. We need to overcome the world. Once a person has the priesthood they can lose it:

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:34 - 46)

34 Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?
35 Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—
36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.
37 That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.
38 Behold, ere he is aware, he is left unto himself, to kick against the pricks, to persecute the saints, and to fight against God.
39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.
40 Hence many are called, but few are chosen.
41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;
42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—
43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;
44 That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death.
45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.
46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.
I don't understand, though, why in LDS thinking God had to remove the priesthood from Christ's Church about 2,000 years ago because there were tares in it, since there are still tares in it today.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟434,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't understand, though, why in LDS thinking God had to remove the priesthood from Christ's Church about 2,000 years ago because there were tares in it, since there are still tares in it today.

Exactly. Problems in non-LDS churches? It's a total teardown, and remains so from the first century (apparently, if the Revelation of St. John is supposedly evidence of it) until JS shows up nearly two millennia later. Problems in the LDS 'church'? "We have acknowledged our imperfections, so move forward with us into a brighter day of understanding and hope." (In quotes because it's from Peter1000's post #280)

Yeah, no. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Problems in non-LDS churches? It's a total teardown, and remains so from the first century (apparently, if the Revelation of St. John is supposedly evidence of it) until JS shows up nearly two millennia later. Problems in the LDS 'church'? "We have acknowledged our imperfections, so move forward with us into a brighter day of understanding and hope." (In quotes because it's from Peter1000's post #280)

Yeah, no. :rolleyes:
Yes. I don't doubt that there are wolves in the congregation. I assume there have been since the time Paul predicted it, and they continue up to today.

Which leads me to be reluctant to commit myself to any one particular person. The LDS movement seems highly focused on a large amount of revelation coming through a single person, Joseph.

Compare that to the upper room experience, where 120 people all experience an amazing revelation event at the same time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Our leaders (the prophet and apostles) are devoted to Jesus Christ, they are not tares, and they do not teach false doctrine like some of the early leaders (shortly after Jesus Christ died) did. That being said some people have lost their priesthood through unrighteousness.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟434,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I love how absolutely everything coming from our resident Mormons that isn't a bizarre word search, cut-and-paste-with-no-context approach to the scriptures is always in the form of declarative statements with no backing whatsoever. "Our leaders aren't tares and they don't teach false doctrine." No defense of anything; just a statement. Like everything is their 'testimony' to be given at their religious meetings. It's all very unlike Christianity, where we can point to how our doctrines are in conformity with the early Church, which, whether or not Mormons want to acknowledge it or not, actually does matter quite a lot when you're going to claim to be in continuity with the early Church, as opposed to the Mormon view where they claim that they are the restoration of the same but can never show how, because of course they actually reject everything about the early Church while simultaneously being arrogant enough to take our scriptures and distort them for their own uses, all the while calling us false professors of abominable creeds and all this other nonsense that supposedly comes from their 'god', who they still try to tell us is the same as our God because they want to be accepted as Christians...God knows why, this context! :doh: It seems like that should be the last thing they'd want to do, but then as an organization they've always been more about PR than INRI.

• Informative
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our leaders (the prophet and apostles) are devoted to Jesus Christ...
The other 11 apostles were unable to identify Judas as the one who would betray Jesus until Jesus pointed him out.

What leads you to believe your above statement? Have you met the LDS prophet and apostles? Have you reviewed their financial records?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I love how absolutely everything coming from our resident Mormons that isn't a bizarre word search, cut-and-paste-with-no-context approach to the scriptures is always in the form of declarative statements with no backing whatsoever. "Our leaders aren't tares and they don't teach false doctrine." No defense of anything; just a statement. Like everything is their 'testimony' to be given at their religious meetings. It's all very unlike Christianity, where we can point to how our doctrines are in conformity with the early Church, which, whether or not Mormons want to acknowledge it or not, actually does matter quite a lot when you're going to claim to be in continuity with the early Church, as opposed to the Mormon view where they claim that they are the restoration of the same but can never show how, because of course they actually reject everything about the early Church while simultaneously being arrogant enough to take our scriptures and distort them for their own uses, all the while calling us false professors of abominable creeds and all this other nonsense that supposedly comes from their 'god', who they still try to tell us is the same as our God because they want to be accepted as Christians...God knows why, this context! :doh: It seems like that should be the last thing they'd want to do, but then as an organization they've always been more about PR than INRI.
Whose scriptures are they? They all come from the Holy Ghost and are HIS scriptures. They belong to Him, NOT any organization. That being said we have a way to tell:

(New Testament | Matthew 7:16 - 20)

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The other 11 apostles were unable to identify Judas as the one who would betray Jesus until Jesus pointed him out.

What leads you to believe your above statement? Have you met the LDS prophet and apostles? Have you reviewed their financial records?
I have listened to the prophets most of my life and I have seen some of them in person including president Nelson, but I haven't spoken to them. I can discern for myself right from wrong. As far as I know The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints was the only church prepared ahead of time for the pandemic. Our leaders shortened our church times and put one of our classes online before the pandemic started.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as I know The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints was the only church prepared ahead of time for the pandemic. Our leaders shortened our church times and put one of our classes online before the pandemic started.
Being prepared is great. I'm aware of two churches just in my small local area that already had complete online services long before the pandemic.
I have listened to the prophets most of my life and I have seen some of them in person including president Nelson, but I haven't spoken to them. I can discern for myself right from wrong.
Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceedingly corrupt: who can know it? 10 I, the Lord, search the mind, I try the heart.

But you feel that you have the ability to know what is in another man's heart? Especially a man who you only know by his public persona?

One of the first rules of a good con job is to tell the mark something they really want to be true.
I know you really want to believe in the LDS leaders.
And maybe as of today they are all righteous dudes.
But what about tomorrow?
Please don't be an easy mark.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Being prepared is great. I'm aware of two churches just in my small local area that already had complete online services long before the pandemic.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceedingly corrupt: who can know it? 10 I, the Lord, search the mind, I try the heart.

But you feel that you have the ability to know what is in another man's heart? Especially a man who you only know by his public persona?

One of the first rules of a good con job is to tell the mark something they really want to be true.
I know you really want to believe in the LDS leaders.
And maybe as of today they are all righteous dudes.
But what about tomorrow?
Please don't be an easy mark.
Tomorrow they will still preach the gospel of LOVE with kindness, virtue, charity, honesty, faith, humility, service to God and all mankind. These are the attributes God wants us to live. These are the attributes of true Christianity. This is the example Jesus Christ gave to us. This is the way He lived His life. This is what He taught.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tomorrow they will still preach the gospel of LOVE with kindness, virtue, charity, honesty, faith, humility, service to God and all mankind. These are the attributes God wants us to live. These are the attributes of true Christianity. This is the example Jesus Christ gave to us. This is the way He lived His life. This is what He taught.
If all they taught was love with kindness, virtue, charity, honesty, faith, humility, service to God and all mankind,
I would say a hearty Amen...
just as I already do with other Christian groups when they focus on that same kind of love.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟222,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tomorrow they will still preach the gospel of LOVE with kindness, virtue, charity, honesty, faith, humility, service to God and all mankind.
While still preaching the false gospel of mormonism. That does not override your fascination with LOVE.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
If all they taught was love with kindness, virtue, charity, honesty, faith, humility, service to God and all mankind,
I would say a hearty Amen...
just as I already do with other Christian groups when they focus on that same kind of love.
Thank you, here are a few of the talks that were given:

Love—the Essence of the Gospel

The Need for Greater Kindness

Let Virtue Garnish Your Thoughts

Charity Never Faileth.

“We Believe in Being Honest”

Face the Future with Faith

"Are Ye Stripped of Pride?" - Kim B. Clark - BYU Speeches

Finding Joy through Loving Service

Upvote 0