Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,326.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Anyone watch the testimony of the presidents of Harvard, M.I.T. and UPenn? I thought at one point it must be a well-produced show from the Babylon Bee, but disgustingly, it was real. Thankfully those three neo's are being condemned from all sides. I suspect they'll all be seeking other employment soon. One donor is withholding $100 million from UPenn until Magill is fired. When serious money is at stake, any university's going to throw you under the bus,, where these ladies belong.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟377,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Oh look....the "I'll defend with my life your right to say it" crowd suddenly has a hissy fit when someone says something they don't ACTUALLY like.

Kinda shows the kind of speech they ACTUALLY like I guess.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,326.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh look....the "I'll defend with my life your right to say it" crowd suddenly has a hissy fit when someone says something they don't ACTUALLY like.

Kinda shows the kind of speech they ACTUALLY like I guess.
You should learn what a thread is trying to talk about before you chime in. I've never offered my life to defend physical attacks on young people because of their race or religion. I've also never offered to defend mobs calling for global genocide. But the whole point of the hearings is that universities have codes of conduct which can result in a student's college career getting ruined for the slightest wrong-think comment, even if far in the past, yet it's perfectly okay to call for Jewish genocide.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,220,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Anyone watch the testimony of the presidents of Harvard, M.I.T. and UPenn? I thought at one point it must be a well-produced show from the Babylon Bee, but disgustingly, it was real. Thankfully those three neo's are being condemned from all sides. I suspect they'll all be seeking other employment soon. One donor is withholding $100 million from UPenn until Magill is fired. When serious money is at stake, any university's going to throw you under the bus,, where these ladies belong.
It's funny you mention that, because the Bee did do a bit about it.

1702077437408.png

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,326.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's funny you mention that, because the Bee did do a bit about it.
They almost literally said that headline "Not all calls for genocide are bad". At least one of them said "it depends on circumstances and context". Really? There are some contexts where it's okay? Now I've never been to law school myself, but I don't think "justifiable genocide" is a recognized legal concept.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟222,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

We need to put a stop to racism being taught at our schools.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,220,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess performance art hearings are what you do when you can't govern.
What about all the people who are making over $170k a year and aren't good at either?

I've sometimes actually wondered how hard it would actually be to move to an insignificant district, run for congress, and land the gig...and then just keep my head down, stay out of the news cycle, and enjoy the benefits lol.

I say this because (and I won't reveal enough here to be personally identifying), I do have an extended family member who was a 2-term state-level rep in an unnamed state back in the 90's (that's not my own state of Ohio). Not quite the perks that came with federal level legislative positions. But based on the district they were in in their state, the requirements basically could've been worded as "as long as most of your neighbors in your small town think you're a decent enough guy..."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,326.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I'd never heard of Elise Stefanik before. She was really good in the hearing.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Isn't it almost supernatural for the hate against the Jews for so long?
No.
It has been people, all throughout the history of the Jews, who have hated them.
There’s no reason beyond people being “not nice” to the Jewish people, why go looking for one?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You should learn what a thread is trying to talk about before you chime in. I've never offered my life to defend physical attacks on young people because of their race or religion. I've also never offered to defend mobs calling for global genocide. But the whole point of the hearings is that universities have codes of conduct which can result in a student's college career getting ruined for the slightest wrong-think comment, even if far in the past, yet it's perfectly okay to call for Jewish genocide.
Universities take state and federal funds and would likely be considered as “agents of the State” should they try to impinge on the free-speech rights of their students, though.
Since they (apparently) don’t impinge on First Amendment rights then there’s no question that they haven’t become the thralls of government.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟222,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Since they (apparently) don’t impinge on First Amendment rights then there’s no question that they haven’t become the thralls of government.
That's an incredible statement after all of the complaints about conservatives who have been prevented from speaking on university campuses.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They were hated because they were God's people.
Maybe. Even when I was young I used to refer to rich people as Jews in a derogatory way. Maybe people hate them for what they represent. I don't know.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟377,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

It's being taught? Any particular vourse that you find aggregious?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,220,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Isn't it almost supernatural for the hate against the Jews for so long?
I don't think there has to be a supernatural explanation.

I think what we already know enough about human nature and tribalism to have a pretty good handle on why those kinds of outcomes occur.

A) You have the religion aspect (there's a deep history behind feuds between Muslims and Jews...especially in that region)
B) You have the "look for an other to blame during bad times" to make them a scapegoat (Nazi Germany checks that box)
C) You have the exploitative nature of one group over another, and the backlash that occurs when efforts are made to un-do it (the history of Black people in America would be an example of that)

Upvote 0