Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I have never seen any of the members here express the slightest urge to "modernize" and enumenicize the principles and tenets of the Church.
God forbid. How do you think I got here from Catholicism?

Upvote 0

Vasileios

Eastern Orthodox Christian
Apr 15, 2006
Crete
✟15,480.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I formally request that OIT's post be deleted.
Thank you for bringing your love and unity into our forum.

Let me just say that I have just had it with people who think they know better than the entire mount Athos and two of our greatest saints of these days, the elders Porphyrios and Paisios.

These groups know fully well what these holy men have said but chose to ignore it and come up with all sorts of excuses as to "why the holy father said it". Protestantism at it's finest and they dare claim to be Orthodox.

I for one, will not show the same tolerance and respect that some posters here do for the "good, loving old calendarists". I think they are misguided souls who cause harm to the Body of Christ with schisms, with spreading of lies (albeit most of them like Michael do not know they are lies) and with presenting a false picture of Orthodoxy in general.

I have lost count of how many heterodox were turned off by the old calendarists, who show up willingly only when everything is bad to point their finger at the mess.

Like the elder Paisios said, they resemble the flies, always looking for filth to sit upon, and in a field of flowers they would not even know there are flowers around them, they would only know about the filth, because that is their desire and all they care about.

Personally, and with respect to jckstraw, if Michael has decided that he knows better than the elders and that he has better discernment than them, and wants to spread his old calendarist propaganda here, I say we do not let him.

My opinion of course.

Upvote 0

Ioan cel Nou

Jul 15, 2005
Barnsley, UK
✟16,378.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative

Let me just say that I have just had it with people who think they know better than the entire mount Athos and two of our greatest saints of these days, the elders Porphyrios and Paisios.

These groups know fully well what these holy men have said but chose to ignore it and come up with all sorts of excuses as to "why the holy father said it". Protestantism at it's finest and they dare claim to be Orthodox.

I for one, will not show the same tolerance and respect that some posters here do for the "good, loving old calendarists". I think they are misguided souls who cause harm to the Body of Christ with schisms, with spreading of lies (albeit most of them like Michael do not know they are lies) and with presenting a false picture of Orthodoxy in general.

I have lost count of how many heterodox were turned off by the old calendarists, who show up willingly only when everything is bad to point their finger at the mess.

Like the elder Paisios said, they resemble the flies, always looking for filth to sit upon, and in a field of flowers they would not even know there are flowers around them, they would only know about the filth, because that is their desire and all they care about.

Personally, and with respect to jckstraw, if Michael has decided that he knows better than the elders and that he has better discernment than them, and wants to spread his old calendarist propaganda here, I say we do not let him.

My opinion of course.
I second this. I couldn't agree more.

James

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟25,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hey i just wanted to say that i think its pretty lame that we have a rule that doesnt allow Michael to state his views -- like it or not, Ecumenism, the calendar, the schism churches, are issues in the modern Orthodox world and we should be allowed to talk about them.

This is why we have been discussing the possiblity of a subforum specifically for debate. As you can tell from that thread, several of the inquirers to ORthodoxy mentioned that that particular thread was causing them confusion and to stumble in their inquirery. That is why we need to have that kind of discussion in a place set aside for it.

Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

My opinion of course.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Vasileios again.

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

My opinion of course.

Is there something wrong with old calendar?

I’m also troubled with most of concerns Michael and OIT have, only difference is I’m not abandoning The Church because I don’t like something that some Bishop has to say.

nestoj
God helps

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟174,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

nestoj
God helps

No, there are legitimate canonical groups using the old calendar. It's just that some schismatic groups, who have broken away from their legitimate jurisdictions, have taken up the calendar issue as a "rallying point"

Upvote 0

Emmanuel-A

Cedant arma togae, concedat laurea linguae
Mar 11, 2005
Paris
✟10,084.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I often lurk on a french forum

www.forum-orthodoxe.com

Given their traditionalist position, the mods first made the choice to let everyone post (ie including "GOC" of various kind). They soon had to change their minds. Dialogue soon turned sour because GOC were incapable of respecting those who made the choice to stay in canonic jurisdictions. Slander was the only answer they could bring when their contradictions were exposed.

I respect some GOC for their publishing work and have friends among them, but in the end, dialogue is often a dead end because of their pre-existing schismatic attitude (any serene exam of their canonic situation is impossible, and they often hide behind this peculiar ecclesiology : "whatever the human passions that explain our ailing canonic situation, at least we're not oecumenists").

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I’m also troubled with most of concerns Michael and OIT have, only difference is I’m not abandoning The Church because I don’t like something that some Bishop has to say.

nestoj
God helps
I must second the notion that there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the Old or New calander. My SF uses the Old Calander! He just isn't old calander-IST. It's the schism, not the calander, that is the issue.

I agree that Orthodox Christians could discuss whether or not we should use the old or new calander. But a schismatic does not belong at the table. They have left the church.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I must second the notion that there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the Old or New calander. My SF uses the Old Calander! He just isn't old calander-IST. It's the schism, not the calander, that is the issue.

I agree that Orthodox Christians could discuss whether or not we should use the old or new calander. But a schismatic does not belong at the table. They have left the church.
I also wish to say that this thread should be moved to the new forum or closed as soon as the debate forum is available. I don't want it confusing more people than it already has...

Just my opinion though.

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, there are legitimate canonical groups using the old calendar. It's just that some schismatic groups, who have broken away from their legitimate jurisdictions, have taken up the calendar issue as a "rallying point"
I know, mine is one of them - canonical groups using the old calendar.

I was just getting the feeling that, in order to defend Orthodox Church, attack was made on any use of old calendar – that’s a same thing schismatics are doing – find something you don’t like and attack everything because of that. I know what I don’t like, but since I maybe wrong, and I KNOW that Church will always triumph and separate right from wrong, I restrain my judgment. I suggest rest of the brethren with similar concerns do the same.

nestoj
God helps

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟174,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know, mine is one of them - canonical groups using the old calendar.

I was just getting the feeling that, in order to defend Orthodox Church, attack was made on any use of old calendar – that’s a same thing schismatics are doing – find something you don’t like and attack everything because of that. I know what I don’t like, but since I maybe wrong, and I KNOW that Church will always triumph and separate right from wrong, I restrain my judgment. I suggest rest of the brethren with similar concerns do the same.

nestoj
God helps

I usually make an effort to make a firm distinction between the Old Calendar people & the Old Calendarist people

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
As you can tell from that thread, several of the inquirers to ORthodoxy mentioned that that particular thread was causing them confusion and to stumble in their inquirery. That is why we need to have that kind of discussion in a place set aside for it.

Emphasis mine. Doesn't that say it all? :doh:

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I usually make an effort to make a firm distinction between the Old Calendar people & the Old Calendarist people
It wasn't you. I just quoted your post cause you ware first to respond to my question. And I completely agree with you.

*Sigh*, maybe it's good that we don't have any faith reasons to argue, so we find them in politics....

nestoj
God helps

Upvote 0

ma2000

Veteran
Feb 8, 2007
Romania
✟14,125.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It wasn't you. I just quoted your post cause you ware first to respond to my question. And I completely agree with you.

*Sigh*, maybe it's good that we don't have any faith reasons to argue, so we find them in politics....

nestoj
God helps
I hope it wasn't me, because I have a great respect on the Serbian Orthodox Church and the other canonical Orthodox Churches.
Forgive me.

God bless!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.