Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Some believers wonder if the amount of time spent speaking in tongues is important.
There came a time when I cast my (non-Pentecostal) net on the other (Pentecostal) side. Thank God, I was spared all the negativity assoc with this gift by a thorough look at what God says concerning exercising it. It took me years before digestion of the text spells clearly what benefits one who uses it. Chiefly, individual and corporate edification with and without prophesy play significant roles.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟811,339.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's diversities of tongues (I Cor 12).

Here's a list of Biblical purposes for tongues though most have been mentioned in this thread.
-Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God
-Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit
-Warfare language - Tongues directly aimed at demonic strongholds
-Prophetic language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation
-Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity
-Praise language - Magnifying the Lord in worship tongues
-Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not learned by the speaker). (Saint Steven gave permission to use his basic list.).

There's over 6500 languages and some are unusual including clicking sounds. But God isn't limited to those.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟193,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's diversities of tongues (I Cor 12).

Here's a list of Biblical purposes for tongues though most have been mentioned in this thread.
-Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God
-Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit
-Warfare language - Tongues directly aimed at demonic strongholds
-Prophetic language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation
-Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity
-Praise language - Magnifying the Lord in worship tongues
-Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not learned by the speaker). (Saint Steven gave permission to use his basic list.).

There's over 6500 languages and some are unusual including clicking sounds. But God isn't limited to those.
Absolutely correct about the clicking noises. This YouTube short is a man asking some African kids what their names are and it's impressive.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟1,001,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:"
Always always like returning to this thread, and why not, continuation is the whole point. And the gift? Through every conceivable thing I've gone through, whether I remembered to use it or not I still wonder how Paul came to this conclusion, AMAZING! All I know is, it was there when I did, and I did. Rewards? Spiritual impartations? Gratifications? Improvements? How about sensitivity with thanksgiving for being able? We after all "know in part". Does this gift release us from that precept? No, nor does it prevent us from using it first and foremost from pressing on! Hallelujah!

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟193,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find myself here lately discovering that my prayer life is lacking. I have a prayer list and truth be told, I pray from it as much as I can, but times I get this attitude of "but I've already asked for that", and it kind of leads me into prayerlessness. Something I think the Spirit has told me here about this is during those times, if I can't pray for those requests I have on my list do one of two things:

1) Set my heart towards God and listen in quiet expectation as best as my circumstances allow me
2) Pray in tongues

Being silent before God is something we can do at all times, but in some situations it may be rather difficult. Praying in tongues is something we can do anywhere and the benefits of that are just so overwhelming there's literally no reason not to! We are robbing ourselves of such tremendous blessing by not doing so!

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟811,339.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the reminder rocknanchor.

(Didn't post what the "but" is about in the following verse #20).

One result of speaking in tongues:
"But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." Jude 20-21

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟1,001,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In retrospect, a regimented determination isn't the better portion of the winning solution in this. For following Paul's footsteps of Christ', his speaking in tongues ", ,more than you all" certainly must be the result of something more than determination, but a succeeding outcome of his sufferings he accumulated. And we know, having "Lost all that he might win Christ, ,only know Christ" was his chief spiritual mainstay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0