Terrible Two's

JesusIsLife

Sep 16, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟15,244.00
Faith
Christian
Anyone have any advice for the terrible two's?  My daughter is 18 months, and boy does she have an attitude.  She is at the arching the back, and screaming to see if she can get her way.  Everyone is telling me she is not too young for spanking, but I am not comfortable with that....seems to you.  I am not one that thinks spanking is always the answer, but she is too you to reason with for the most part.  Talk about embarrassing in public!!

Thanks,

Wendy

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Hopeful:

Oh, boy, the Terrible Twos!

I remember when they hit my kids. And in the reading I did, I learned that a LOT of the temper comes from the fact the kid is just plain frustrated. He or she doesn't have the vocabulary to TELL you what he wants. And Mom isn't the great Mind Reader any more.

Even though the toddler is walking and talking more, he hasn't changed into a miniature adult. He still sees the world from the kid's eye view. And that little body gets TIRED.

Imagine yourself in the too-big world, not being able to speak much of the language, being FRUSTRATED beyond belief, and TIRED on top of it.

I don't know about you, but I think I'd scream, too!

Now, if you are frustrated, tired, and screaming, would a swat on the butt make everything better?

I don't think so.

At home, walk away. The child is venting all that frustration, and you really can't reason with him or her. When the kid finds out he's not controlling the situation, he'll calm down, and then you can try again.

Out in public, pick the child up and LEAVE. If it means leaving the restaurant, leaving the movie, leaving the store, so be it. That is part of being a parent. You will gain the appreciation of everyone around you, and you will also do what is best for the child. Just remember, the Terrible Twos won't last forever, and soon you will be able to enjoy a meal out or a movie in peace.

(to others: I know I'm not being realistic, because the teen years are MUCH worse than the Terrible Twos, but I don't want to overwhelm this poor mother!)

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
Vow? How are you not being realistic? I think your advice was wonderful! :)

I agree - walk away or remove the child - discipline them in a way that they understand.

If she is tired, or overstimulated - have her lay down for a few mins Let her know that she doesn't have to close her eyes or go to sleep - just rest a min.

Upvote 0

EJO

Hellafreak
Sep 4, 2002
Seattle
✟8,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Awesome VOW,
I have 4 myself and it is CRAZY at times, actually all the time! When one of my kids are acting this way, I take them or the object theyt are fighting for out of the picture, or seperate them for a while. They usually have such short attention spans, they forget after a few minutes anyway...

Upvote 0

JesusIsLife

Sep 16, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟15,244.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks, I agree. It's nice to have a opinion other than spanking. Just not a fan of that, and an 18 month has no idea why she is being spanked.

AH, the thought of quiet time, oh wait, I actually have that right now.
YIPPIE! I love my little girl, but you sure do have to enjoy the quiet times also.

They are at such a learning stage right now trying to take everything in, yes I would scream too.

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Our daughter will be 2 on October 30. She has already started on her terrible two's, but as has been said the way that works for me is to ignore her when she drops attitude. Once she realizes she can't get my attention by being a turd, she calms down and approaches me. 9 times out of 10 it works fairly quickly. Of course, that 10th time....whoa....

Of course, she has nothing on her sister, who was the princess of attitude. She was redefining the terrible two's when God called her back. I'm sure she's up in heaven right now causing havoc.

(God, you can send her back if she's being too big a pain up there.....)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums