Visit site
✟3,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what do you parents think of us teens? I always hear people talking about how rebelious we are and how we are dragging everything down with us. Okay, that may be an exageration but I would like to know what you think based on experience and such.

Personally, I think my parents have had a pretty easy time with me. I have been a Christian for all of my teenage years which made it easier for them without a doubt because I know that they are in charge whether I like it or not. That doesn't mean we get along perfectly fine, but it's been a good experience for me and them too as far as I know ;)

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been honest with my kids, and with other teens I have known. People will tell you that your teen years are "the best" and go on and on and on about how wonderful it is for you.

Bah.

The teen years are wretched. You don't know where this *BODY* came from, and it is putting you on a rollercoaster from Hell with all the strange feelings and the aches and the zits and hair and whatnot. One minute you want to laugh and dance, the next minute you wish you could crawl into a corner of your room and that everyone would just LEAVE YOU ALONE. Teachers think THEIR class is the only one you attend, and you are getting so much information thrown at you it's a wonder your head doesn't split wide open.

And you constantly worry about what "they" will think.

You couldn't PAY me to go through adolescence again!

I have tried to give my children the building blocks of faith, so they could create their own relationship with God. Because God is the ONE thing they could hold onto and trust during this hurricane time of their lives.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,786,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have teens yet as my kids are still preschool age. There are teens that I like and respect, and ones that I have little or no respect for. Not simply because they are teens, but because the of the people they are and how they behave.

Upvote 0

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by VOW
I've been honest with my kids, and with other teens I have known. People will tell you that your teen years are "the best" and go on and on and on about how wonderful it is for you.

Bah.

The teen years are wretched. You don't know where this *BODY* came from, and it is putting you on a rollercoaster from Hell with all the strange feelings and the aches and the zits and hair and whatnot. One minute you want to laugh and dance, the next minute you wish you could crawl into a corner of your room and that everyone would just LEAVE YOU ALONE. Teachers think THEIR class is the only one you attend, and you are getting so much information thrown at you it's a wonder your head doesn't split wide open.

And you constantly worry about what "they" will think.

You couldn't PAY me to go through adolescence again!

I have tried to give my children the building blocks of faith, so they could create their own relationship with God. Because God is the ONE thing they could hold onto and trust during this hurricane time of their lives.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Darn. He said it better than i could! ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2002
Alabama
✟30,950.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
"teens are horrible! they can't drive and they're abnoxious! :rolleyes:  no respect for their elders... blah blah blah..."

all us teens have heard that one before (i know i have). granted, i know some teens who do fit that description and it's depressing when the rest of us are branded because of what a few have done. true, there are some teens that should not be allowe behind the wheel but i also know some adults who shouldn't as well.

ok, while i'm on my soapbox i'll continue:) a few things that make me steam:
you think you're so smart/know everything
i'm aware that i don't know everything, but i would like to learn some things on my own. sometimes when i answer "i know" doesn't actually mean that i know sometimes it means 1) i have lack of a better thing to say 2) i don't want to admit i was wrong and you were right 3) i'm preoccupied with something else so i just answered with the first thing that came to my mind.:sorry:

why can't you be like so-and-so?
why? because i'm not so-and-so and nothing you can ever do or say will make me like so-and-so. i am me and it is hard to change me. besides, i hate being compared to someone else.

ah, so now you've seen the interworkings of a small portion of the teenage mind (mine at least). :D now i will surrender my soapbox and retreat to a far corner to observe the rest of the conversation.

/me retreats off her soapbox and humbly backs out of the room.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟23,406.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Hewitt
So what do you parents think of us teens?

The majority of the teens and preteens that I've had the pleasure of coaching are an inspiration Hewitt! I must say.  Most of the troubled ones are just silently reaching out...is all.  The one thing I could say to you is....Place a high value on the legacy you will leave your future children.  Good or bad,,,it does stick and doesn't come off.

Upvote 0

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think that some of them could give us adults a break. (I said some, not all)
This is our first time at adulthood, just as it is their first time through the teen years. Contrary to popular belief, being an adult is not all peaches and cream. You cannot run willy- nilly, doing whatever you please. We are old enough for prison, we will reap what we sow.
As for advice: Don't do anything that you would not want your own children to know about later on. Learn from the mistakes of others, do not try to reinvent the wheel.
Overall, I do not have a low oppinion of teens. I just think that some choose to make their lives harder than they have to be.

That hormonal roller coaster does not stop at the age of twenty, either. You just learn to expect the unexpected.

Upvote 0