Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Babylon 5!! ...oh ST or SW... ST has Vulcans!
images

Upvote 0

FoogieFighters

Congratulations Carolina Hurricanes! '06
Feb 10, 2005
North Carolina
Visit site
✟2,893.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
mycatspice said:
I gotta go with Star Trek on this one cuz of the Next Generation!
Yeah, the newer ones are better then the old ones (Not to diss the classics though!) Haha I just wanted to tell you that your picture with your cat?...The mat with the cats on it, I have that too! Hee hee!

Quote:
quot-top-right.gif
quot-by-left.gif
Originally Posted by: the Colonel
quot-by-right.gif
quot-top-right-10.gif
I definitely enjoy the Star Trek univers much more. It's much more science fiction and geo-political intrigue. Star Wars, to me, is in a totally other realm. It's more like fantasy than science-fiction. I'm more into sci-fi. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Star Wars very much. I just like Star Trek much more for my week to week sci-fi needs.

That was a really good point!:)

Upvote 0

1freespirit

Jan 22, 2005
✟395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
NOOOOOO! I can't choose! That's like picking between pizza and ice cream! They're each their own style! (Thank you, Colonel, for your insightful comment. You should be promoted to General soon! Perhaps at the next Stargate staff meeting.:thumbsup: )

However, I prefer the original Star Trek series over the new. Nothing, and I mean nothing, tops "The Trouble with Tribbles" episode!

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
1freespirit said:
NOOOOOO! I can't choose! That's like picking between pizza and ice cream! They're each their own style! (Thank you, Colonel, for your insightful comment. You should be promoted to General soon! Perhaps at the next Stargate staff meeting.:thumbsup: )

However, I prefer the original Star Trek series over the new. Nothing, and I mean nothing, tops "The Trouble with Tribbles" episode!
Have you seed the DS9 episode that used original footage from that episode? It was really cool to see Dax in an OS uniform! She kills in a miniskirt...

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Star Wars here. :) Never got into Star Trek, always found it too cheesy. Besides, Jedi are way cooler than anything Star Trek has fished. ;)
I'm bringing this one back!! From the DEAD!!
:thumbsup:

I was fishing thru some old threads looking for something else and realized I had different feelings about Star Wars since I last posted this.

And I'm quoting this post because it is relevant! Star Trek just doesn't have the Force. That is its big failing!

Since this thread last breathed, I've read a *ton* of Star Wars books as well as re-viewed all the movies multiple times.

Trek is still awesome, but I love me some Wars.

But Spock is still my favorite character of all time.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Traderjoeeee

Sep 20, 2010
RVA
✟7,687.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've watched Star Wars since I was a very small child, so its a given I'd pick it over Star Trek. BUT, I have to say that the latest Star Trek movie was far better visually and story-wise then any of the recent Star Wars movies (I,II, & III).

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I've watched Star Wars since I was a very small child, so its a given I'd pick it over Star Trek. BUT, I have to say that the latest Star Trek movie was far better visually and story-wise then any of the recent Star Wars movies (I,II, & III).
Yup. The new Trek movie, putting aside the flaws, was pretty darn good.

Upvote 0

NiamhDhabolt

Humanity is on trial again.
Apr 27, 2005
Fallbrook, CA
Visit site
✟8,798.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Star Trek. No contest. It's a lot more *science fiction*. I love the stories about spatial anomalies, time loops, superior alien species, nebulas, etc etc. It feels a lot more realistic than SW. As if that's what the future *could* be like in 400+ years or so. Though, obviously, with differences (not all the science is correct... it is just a TV show after all).

Star Wars is more about the story and less about the science and realism. This is fine and all (I do love SW!), but I just prefer the more realistic aspects of Trek. Though I will say that SW has a more realistic range of alien species. This was a point my husband brought up (he likes ST and SW equally). If there are as many species of aliens out there, it's unlikely that there'd be SO many that are SO close to our anatomy (with only slight differences like a wrinkled nose or green/blue skin). But this probably also has to do with budget. SW is a movie franchise and has more money for visual graphics. (though to be fair, in ST:ENT they did have computer generated aliens that were incredibly different than human physiology... but I was mostly referring to the main species of ST, which were conceived well before they had the budget or graphic abilities for more unique species).

ANYWAYS, for the science, potential-realism, and general stories, I will forever favor Star Trek. <3 :thumbsup:

(but I love SW too)

Upvote 0

Gawron

Apr 24, 2008
✟5,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This question was answered before it was even really asked.

Work on the first Star Trek feature film began in 1975. Problems with developing a decent script eventually forced Paramount to scrap the project in 1977 and revisit the idea of returning the franchise to the small screen. A second television series run was planned, to be entitled Star Trek: Phase II. The network entered into pre-production for the show, creating set designs, props, contracting for scripts, and securing actors. An unforeseen event, however, would lead to the redirection of this project as well. The motion picture "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" became a box office hit, and executives at Paramount took this as a sign that some form of science fiction other than the Star Wars space opera currently the rage would be successful.

I find this interesting. As stated, there has been a long and continual debate raging between fans of Star Trek and fans of Star Wars over which is the better science fiction. Paramount executives apparently decided this question long ago. If they based their decision to return Star Trek to the big screen in response to the success of an intellectual science fiction film as opposed to a Flash Gordon space opera rip-off science fantasy, then Star Trek won before the debate truly began. The executives at paramount evidently realized that the core of Star Trek’s fan base was largely comprised of both intellectual and successful people. This was actually true during the three years of the series run, but the ratings methods used at the time did not accurately portray this. Now, however, Paramount could see first hand who the fans were via the conventions, and learned that they would indeed spend money to see thoughtful science fiction as well as dazzling effects laden science fantasy.

Trek wins, and always has.

Star Trek, The Best and Worst Of.... - Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History

Upvote 0

Teufelhund

Senior Veteran
Jul 29, 2007
Camp Pendleton, Ca
✟18,575.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If it's episodes IV, V, and VI vs. TNG for me at least it's a tie, they are both good in their own ways. I'm much less fond of the newer Star Wars movies and they would push any of the franchises of Star Trek far far ahead IMO. So for me it really depends on which incarnation you are looking at. I for one am glad I can watch and be a fan of both franchises without having to choose.

Upvote 0